Randy Bott and the Priesthood Ban

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DU Ute
    RIP CUF
    • Dec 2008
    • 7393

    #436
    From the Slate article:

    And, at church meetings, some black Mormons still hear racial slurs. As African-American convert to the church Tamu Smith said in the documentary Nobody Knows: The Untold Story of Black Mormons, “the first time I was called a nigger was in the Salt Lake Temple.”
    Reading that made me physically ill.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

    Comment

    • Blueintheface
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 15382

      #437
      Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
      To me it does not matter if they fire him, retire him, pay him off to leave quietly, put him on indefinite administrative leave, whatever. BYU needs him out of the classroom and no longer affiliated with the University. I am sure there is a way to accomplish this in an expedient fashion.
      Do we have a mafia emoticon? :rubbedout: On second thought...
      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69697

        #438
        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        I've drafted the letter to Cecil.

        As an alumnus of BYU (two degrees) I'm offended by the recent remarks by Professor Bott as reported in the Washington Post. This was not an isolated incident by him as evidenced by similar remarks that remained on his internet blog for years and similar teachings that several students have confirmed to have been taught in his classes for over a decade.

        While I believe Professor Bott has a right to state his opinion, I also believe that BYU has a responsibility to its faculty, students, and alumni to maintain its integrity. Therefore, I'm more offended by the inaction of the BYU administration in rectifying this situation. As every day passes without action against Professor Bott, my alma mater continues to get dragged through press as a racist and intolerant university. While I know the church and BYU verbally hold that "all are alike unto God" (2 Ne 26:33), the inaction against Professor Bott does not square with this position.

        Regardless of the number of press releases that are issued, it's only through suspension or termination of Professor Bott that the media, the masses and ultimately the members of the church will understand that the church truly is against all forms of racism.

        Moliere
        I made sure to put my degrees below my name so he knows I'm not an English major

        I'll hold off for another day before sending it, or maybe I'll send it on Sunday night so he gets it Monday morning.
        With all due respect, firing Bott would not achieve what you have described because it does nothing to address the underlying issue. Without a definitive declaration from the church that the ban was not divine, firing someone for speculating on the reasons would be hypocritical. You should be demanding that the church comes clean.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Moliere
          One man.....one pie
          • Oct 2009
          • 27880

          #439
          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          I think you're underestimating how hard it is to fire a tenured university professor over something he/she says. I don't know if BYU professors have tenure the same way professors at other universities do, however.
          We Can Do Hard Things!!!

          Surely if a group of YW can walk 20 miles over suburban SLC then BYU can find a way to reprimand Bott.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

          Comment

          • SteelBlue
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 8189

            #440
            For those of you in the "fire him" camp, how do you get around the fact that the University has tolerated and been aware of such ideas throughout its history? How do you get around the fact that they've essentially created this environment? I don't think you can. Firing Bott is like throwing a bucket of water on a burning home, it accomplishes almost nothing. It also leaves people with the false impression that he did something that is far outside of what has been normal at BYU, and that now all is well.

            Comment

            • Moliere
              One man.....one pie
              • Oct 2009
              • 27880

              #441
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              With all due respect, firing Bott would not achieve what you have described because it does nothing to address the underlying issue. Without a definitive declaration from the church that the ban was not divine, firing someone for speculating on the reasons would be hypocritical. You should be demanding that the church comes clean.
              While I fully agree, no letter to church HQ will have any impact. It will just be returned to local leaders, and likely die there as they have no say in this matter. BYU is at least headed by a seventy, and while I didn't feel right in asking the head of BYU to address the doctrinal/PR issue for the church, the letter was more centered around what BYU could do.

              While firing Bott doesn't rectify the situation, it at least shows that BYU won't tolerate these teachings regardless of what the church believes. Maybe this is a time for BYU to inch out from under the thumb of church HQ (somewhat TIC)
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

              Comment

              • All-American
                Right, as Usual
                • Nov 2008
                • 15665

                #442
                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                I think you're underestimating how hard it is to fire a tenured university professor over something he/she says. I don't know if BYU professors have tenure the same way professors at other universities do, however.
                On BYU's tenure:

                http://www.aaup.org/NR/rdonlyres/27E.../0/Brigham.pdf
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69697

                  #443
                  Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  While I fully agree, no letter to church HQ will have any impact. It will just be returned to local leaders, and likely die there as they have no say in this matter. BYU is at least headed by a seventy, and while I didn't feel right in asking the head of BYU to address the doctrinal/PR issue for the church, the letter was more centered around what BYU could do.
                  On the contrary, the fact that the BYU pres is a GA is a positive in this case. Any heat he feels gets passed up the chain.

                  Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  While firing Bott doesn't rectify the situation, it at least shows that BYU won't tolerate these teachings regardless of what the church believes. Maybe this is a time for BYU to inch out from under the thumb of church HQ (somewhat TIC)
                  If you think BYU is going to do something out of synch with Church HQ on this thing, you are nuts.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Blueintheface
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 15382

                    #444
                    Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                    For those of you in the "fire him" camp, how do you get around the fact that the University has tolerated and been aware of such ideas throughout its history? How do you get around the fact that they've essentially created this environment? I don't think you can. Firing Bott is like throwing a bucket of water on a burning home, it accomplishes almost nothing. It also leaves people with the false impression that he did something that is far outside of what has been normal at BYU, and that now all is well.
                    I think the obvious answer is you can't. BYU has done this to themselves and it is an institutional problem that will not soon be corrected. An Honor code system completely out of control, continued revisionist history publishings even more flawed than the church as a whole, professors with great influence pandering to this culture and infecting young minds, many of whom are not exactly encouraged to think freely...the list goes on.

                    I enjoyed my time at BYU but only because I thought the business school was top notch and it challenged me. Religion classes were necessary for graduation and the most they did for me was help me to continue to study the scriptures.
                    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                    Comment

                    • The Rambam
                      Wandering Rambam
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 394

                      #445
                      Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      The logic is that Ham married a woman named Egyptus who was a descendant of Cain and therefore black. Then after the flood, she and Ham went off to settle Egypt. Their kids intermarried and preserved the black skin, although all her kids would be half black/half white. Maybe God magically changed her descendants to be full black, so he could preserve the curse.
                      Ephraim and Manassah were half black. So Lehi and Nephi should have been banned from Priesthood under the one drop of blood logic. And the fact that the Church maintained a no-Negro blood blood-bank at LDS Hospital until 1978 shows how seriously they took the drop of blood logic. It is all a muddle and a mess and doesn't' make sense. As has been said, Elijah Able alone shows the impossibility of showing some commandment from God and/or some doctrinally based ban.

                      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      I think you're underestimating how hard it is to fire a tenured university professor over something he/she says. I don't know if BYU professors have tenure the same way professors at other universities do, however.
                      BYU doesn't have tenure. It doesn't matter if you are Richard Feynman or Henery Louis Gates, Jr. or Madeleine Albright, if you drink a latte for breakfast YOU ARE FIRED. They can fire a professor for saying they don't mind gay marriage in Iowa. They can fire a professor for writing a fictional story about a rape. The can fire a professor for anything. That is why there is no academic freedom at BYU.
                      A Mormon president could make a perfectly patriotic, competent, inspiring leader. But not Mitt Romney. He is a husked void. --David Javerbaum

                      Comment

                      • Solon
                        Lost in the flood
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5747

                        #446
                        Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                        I think the obvious answer is you can't. BYU has done this to themselves and it is an institutional problem
                        I agree that firing Bott would be a huge mistake.

                        He's a religion prof. who was speaking about religion. I realize that the byu has some circomlocuted version of "tenure" (I think it's called 'continuing status' but I couldn't get to AA's link to confirm). The true problem is that Bott's opinions are well sourced in teachings from LDS authorities.

                        I also agree that this is a black eye for the byu. It's been a tough few months for my cougar amigos.

                        I think this whole situation begs for illumination from the highest echelons of LDS leadership, not byu's administration. I need some time to digest the most recent press release before I opine further.
                        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                        Comment

                        • The Rambam
                          Wandering Rambam
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 394

                          #447
                          Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          While I fully agree, no letter to church HQ will have any impact. It will just be returned to local leaders, and likely die there as they have no say in this matter. BYU is at least headed by a seventy, and while I didn't feel right in asking the head of BYU to address the doctrinal/PR issue for the church, the letter was more centered around what BYU could do.

                          While firing Bott doesn't rectify the situation, it at least shows that BYU won't tolerate these teachings regardless of what the church believes. Maybe this is a time for BYU to inch out from under the thumb of church HQ (somewhat TIC)
                          I used to believe this and we are certainly taught this, but is isn't true. I can't give specifics but I do know that some letters sent directly have been effective in reaching and being heard by those at the top. The policy is really a hold-over of the days when the Apostles lived in SLC in local wards and were accessible and people went over the head of their local leaders if they were denied the use of a cultural hall for a wedding reception because the date conflicted with a ward party--that sort of thing.

                          This type of letter can and should be sent directly to HQ.
                          A Mormon president could make a perfectly patriotic, competent, inspiring leader. But not Mitt Romney. He is a husked void. --David Javerbaum

                          Comment

                          • pellegrino
                            miserere me
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12100

                            #448
                            Originally posted by The Rambam View Post
                            I used to believe this and we are certainly taught this, but is isn't true. I can't give specifics but I do know that some letters sent directly have been effective in reaching and being heard by those at the top. The policy is really a hold-over of the days when the Apostles lived in SLC in local wards and were accessible and people went over the head of their local leaders if they were denied the use of a cultural hall for a wedding reception because the date conflicted with a ward party--that sort of thing.

                            This type of letter can and should be sent directly to HQ.
                            I sent mine today. First time writer!
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

                            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                            pelagius

                            Comment

                            • Flystripper
                              Degenerate Gambler
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14089

                              #449
                              Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                              For those of you in the "fire him" camp, how do you get around the fact that the University has tolerated and been aware of such ideas throughout its history? How do you get around the fact that they've essentially created this environment? I don't think you can. Firing Bott is like throwing a bucket of water on a burning home, it accomplishes almost nothing. It also leaves people with the false impression that he did something that is far outside of what has been normal at BYU, and that now all is well.
                              Firing Bott is the mere tip of the iceberg of what BYU and the Church need to do. They also need to do as Lebowski and others have been suggesting for many, many years by recongnizing publicly that they were wrong about the priesthood ban and that they are forever sorry about the pain that LDS institutional racism has caused members and nonmembers for more than a century.

                              I should clarify that if BYU believes that dismissing Bott will be sufficient to quell the outrage, they are indeed mistaken. As you say, a termination of Bott does leave the false impression that he said something outside of what has been normal at BYU and within the church for decades. However, a university cannot continue to support through employment an individual that said the things that Bott said to WaPo, even if what Bott said was unofficially supported for decades within BYU and the Church as a whole.

                              Bott has to fired coupled with an official apology from the church so that BYU can honestly say that they are purging themselves of both current and historical institutional racism. Is Bott a sacrificial lamb? Yes, and unfortunately for him, his sacrifice is a part of what is necessary for the church and BYU to move forward.
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

                              Comment

                              • pellegrino
                                miserere me
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 12100

                                #450
                                Originally posted by Solon View Post
                                I agree that firing Bott would be a huge mistake.

                                He's a religion prof. who was speaking about religion. I realize that the byu has some circomlocuted version of "tenure" (I think it's called 'continuing status' but I couldn't get to AA's link to confirm). The true problem is that Bott's opinions are well sourced in teachings from LDS authorities.

                                I also agree that this is a black eye for the byu. It's been a tough few months for my cougar amigos.

                                I think this whole situation begs for illumination from the highest echelons of LDS leadership, not byu's administration. I need some time to digest the most recent press release before I opine further.
                                this is correct, though I'm not precisely sure what the difference between tenure and continuing status is. I understand that it means you can be let go if you fail to uphold university standards (temple recommend, etc. )
                                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                                Alessandro Manzoni

                                Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                                pelagius

                                Comment

                                Working...