A very moving experience this evening

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LA Ute
    Receiver of Memory
    • Nov 2008
    • 19512

    #61
    What a great story, Brother TD. Makes me want to be a better neighbor. My prayers go out for yours. By the way, I love Indian people, food, and culture. I have a lot of Indian colleagues whom I enjoy and treasure.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #62
      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
      What a great story, Brother TD. Makes me want to be a better neighbor. My prayers go out for yours. By the way, I love Indian people, food, and culture. I have a lot of Indian colleagues whom I enjoy and treasure.
      Thanks, LAUte.

      She called my wife yesterday and asked her to come over to chat. My wife wound up staying there for over 2 hours.

      Right now, they are really in a bad spot. She expressed to my wife feelings of conflicted faith, resentment towards God, fear of telling her family back in India, etc. She also feels like life is pointless right now. Fortunately, she also expressed perspective...that all of this will pass and that eventually they will have children.

      For now, they have decided to give it a rest and not focus so much on trying to get pregnant. She goes back to work on Monday and looks forward to getting her mind off things, at least for part of the day.

      In typical fashion, she sent my wife home with rice and spicy curried meat. My wife went over to help her, and she sends us home with a meal. Amazing neighbors.

      After spending 2 hours in their home, my wife came home and reeked of curry. She said that she was going to take a shower. I kinda raised my eyebrows a few times and offered to "help out" in that department. She said no thanks and went upstairs to shower. I guess I misread that situation. I will think twice about romance the next time my wife spends 2 hours comforting a good friend about her lack of faith in God and her anger over not being able to conceive children.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • byu71
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22070

        #63
        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Heck, I don't even know if nikuman was serious when he called me an "insufferable asshole". I want to say that he knows that I know that he knows that they know that we know that I know that he knows that you know that we all know that everything here is just a joke, but I don't really know if that's the case or not.

        Hence, going forward I will take the stance that everything posted here is deadly serious and to question the veracity of said statement is just a little further down the spectrum of mortal sins than getting a belated health code violation on a humble Johnstown lemonade stand.
        What is wrong with being called an "insufferable asshole".

        Comment

        • Indy Coug
          Heartless Bastard
          • Dec 2008
          • 18747

          #64
          Originally posted by byu71 View Post
          What is wrong with being called an "insufferable asshole".
          I just try to keep tabs on who is friend and foe. Not that I expect everyone to be friend, but it helps to know my audience when speaking.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

          Comment

          • LA Ute
            Receiver of Memory
            • Nov 2008
            • 19512

            #65
            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            What is wrong with being called an "insufferable asshole".
            Indy, I know insufferable a-holes. Insufferable a-holes are friends of mine. Indy, you're no insufferable a-hole.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden


            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

            Comment

            • Indy Coug
              Heartless Bastard
              • Dec 2008
              • 18747

              #66
              Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
              Indy, I know insufferable a-holes. Insufferable a-holes are friends of mine. Indy, you're no insufferable a-hole.
              LOL! I'm not quite sure how to take that little nugget.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

              Comment

              • LA Ute
                Receiver of Memory
                • Nov 2008
                • 19512

                #67
                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                LOL! I'm not quite sure how to take that little nugget.
                It would be a mistake to try to take it very seriously at all . . . but it was offered with tongue in cheek and hand extended (and all four fingers extended as well).
                Last edited by LA Ute; 04-03-2009, 10:26 AM.
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden


                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                Comment

                • KillerDog
                  a.k.a. K-dog
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 4196

                  #68
                  Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                  BTW, how much does it cost to ensure that your baby is one gender or the other? My wife restated to me that her limit is three kids, so if we have another girl next time, I want to make sure we have a boy the third time. Also, does the procedure raise the risk of twins/triplets?
                  Selection of sex is an add on to IVF. I can't remember what it costs. It doesn't increase the chances of multiples over regular IVF.

                  Comment

                  • The Fourth Nephite
                    Junior Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 781

                    #69
                    TD, anything new to report?
                    "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #70
                      Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
                      TD, anything new to report?
                      Thanks for the inquiry. I posted an update (found on page 3), but in sum, they were not successful. It was a very rough weekend for them and it weighed heavily on my wife and I during conference. Sad news and disappointing.

                      One cool bit of follow-up since two weeks ago.....on Saturday, Wife came over to our house and asked to accompany us to Easter services. She said she wanted to go and experience a Christian Easter celebration.

                      It was a great day. Easter Sunday, some very nice talks about the Savior, everyone belted out "He is Risen" and "Christ the Lord is Risen Today." She spent a chunk of the time asking questions and we did our best to answer ("where are the crosses/statues?," "are your leaders allowed to marry?," "can anyone get up and speak?" etc).

                      Based off conversations she has had with my wife, she and her husband have decided to just forget about it as best they can for now and not even formally "try" for kids. Just live their life for the rest of the year and maybe take it up again in the new year.

                      They also brought over a very lovely flower centerpiece and my wife took it with her and used it for RS meeting. They are really great neighbors.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • SeattleUte
                        Faith crisis consultant
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 20837

                        #71
                        3D, you'd better not convert them. They are vulnerable and trusting. I'd be disappointed.
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                        --Jonathan Swift

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #72
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          3D, you'd better not convert them. They are vulnerable and trusting. I'd be disappointed.
                          My biggest fear if they were to convert to the LDS religion is that the Relief Society would get in there and start teaching her to cook with all kinds of creamy soups and corn flakes and crap like that. I enjoy my pipeline of authentic Indian food. I won't do anything to disturb that weekly fix.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • KillerDog
                            a.k.a. K-dog
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 4196

                            #73
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            Based off conversations she has had with my wife, she and her husband have decided to just forget about it as best they can for now and not even formally "try" for kids. Just live their life for the rest of the year and maybe take it up again in the new year.

                            They also brought over a very lovely flower centerpiece and my wife took it with her and used it for RS meeting. They are really great neighbors.
                            I think it is very common to take breaks in between failures when trying to have kids. It seems to make family members (parents etc.) irritated because they can't understand the emotional trauma and exhaustion of hope following what appears to be godly rejection of you as a person. Regardless, it is good to take breaks. We had a natural conception during one such break.

                            Comment

                            • LA Ute
                              Receiver of Memory
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19512

                              #74
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              My biggest fear if they were to convert to the LDS religion is that the Relief Society would get in there and start teaching her to cook with all kinds of creamy soups and corn flakes and crap like that. I enjoy my pipeline of authentic Indian food. I won't do anything to disturb that weekly fix.
                              Then again, the possibility of Indian-influenced funeral potatoes is kind of intriguing.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden


                              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #75
                                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                                Then again, the possibility of Indian-influenced funeral potatoes is kind of intriguing.
                                Yes, but then someone would have to die first.

                                If you want to quench your bloodlust, why not eat some blowfish? Why project onto my neighbors?
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...