So I'm reading through Romans in my NSRV Bible and come to chapter 16 verse 1 which reads: "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church at Cenchreae...."
I compared this to the KJV Bible which replaces the word "deacon" with "servant" however I'm inclined to use the NSRV given that it is generally believed to be a better translation.
Then I pull out my Louis Segond Bible (allez les bleus!) which uses the word "diaconesse", which even for non-francophones is easily translated to "female deacon".
IMO, it's interesting that women were allowed to be in Priesthood positions in the early church (Junia being a female apostle mentioned later in chapter 16), yet it is not allowed today.
Are there any other examples in the scriptures of women that were in leadership positions?
I compared this to the KJV Bible which replaces the word "deacon" with "servant" however I'm inclined to use the NSRV given that it is generally believed to be a better translation.
Then I pull out my Louis Segond Bible (allez les bleus!) which uses the word "diaconesse", which even for non-francophones is easily translated to "female deacon".
IMO, it's interesting that women were allowed to be in Priesthood positions in the early church (Junia being a female apostle mentioned later in chapter 16), yet it is not allowed today.
Are there any other examples in the scriptures of women that were in leadership positions?
Comment