Thread title is of course an homage to our favorite show on the .mtn.
I recently got my monthly email from the quorum secretary asking me if I did my home teaching. Last Sunday, we spent a good amount of time talking about home teaching numbers in our ward and the stake in general. This got me thinking of numbers in the church.
One of the common complaints about the church, with which I am sometimes sympathetic, is that we are too numbers focused. We have numbers for everything, and we use them to judge too much. I do not mean this thread to be a place to complain about the bean-counter-tricity of the church (although if you have any good stories or insights, feel free to share). I instead am wondering how and when we got here.
I assume that the church in 1840 had neither the ability nor the inclination to track visits, attendence, and righteousness the way we do now. Though I didn't know him personally, Joseph Smith does not seem the type of personality to initiate rigid KPI systems. So when did it start?
Was there one individual, or one period, that really drove this?
Was there one facet of the church that required tracking, such as tithing or temple recommends, which then drove toward more and more measurement?
Was it the focus in the D&C on order and record-keeping?
Or was it something that just sort of evolved over time? It is not something that was inevitable, as I am not familiar with any other church that does it to the extent we do.
If it was a slow evolution, do we have an idea of the timeframes? The church is obviously more bureaucratic and business-like now than it was 100 years ago; I would assume that as more business-types and attorneys started running the show, this type of management style would increase. Does that explain it, or was it the reverse, as the church became more numbers focused, it needed more business-types to manage things?
I recently got my monthly email from the quorum secretary asking me if I did my home teaching. Last Sunday, we spent a good amount of time talking about home teaching numbers in our ward and the stake in general. This got me thinking of numbers in the church.
One of the common complaints about the church, with which I am sometimes sympathetic, is that we are too numbers focused. We have numbers for everything, and we use them to judge too much. I do not mean this thread to be a place to complain about the bean-counter-tricity of the church (although if you have any good stories or insights, feel free to share). I instead am wondering how and when we got here.
I assume that the church in 1840 had neither the ability nor the inclination to track visits, attendence, and righteousness the way we do now. Though I didn't know him personally, Joseph Smith does not seem the type of personality to initiate rigid KPI systems. So when did it start?
Was there one individual, or one period, that really drove this?
Was there one facet of the church that required tracking, such as tithing or temple recommends, which then drove toward more and more measurement?
Was it the focus in the D&C on order and record-keeping?
Or was it something that just sort of evolved over time? It is not something that was inevitable, as I am not familiar with any other church that does it to the extent we do.
If it was a slow evolution, do we have an idea of the timeframes? The church is obviously more bureaucratic and business-like now than it was 100 years ago; I would assume that as more business-types and attorneys started running the show, this type of management style would increase. Does that explain it, or was it the reverse, as the church became more numbers focused, it needed more business-types to manage things?
Comment