Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any temple goers confirm this?

Mormon Temple Movie Actor, Fred Hunting Removed From Film
    Question by Salamander Society: Why was Fred Hunting (Who played the role of Apostle John in the 1990 version of the Temple Film.) removed from the current film?

Answer by Church Employee: I don't know "for sure" why Fred Hunting's face was removed.

I know that he came out against the Church's position on same sex marriage during the recent California proposition. He signed a petition that was sent to the First Presidency, asking them to change their position on same gender attraction.

I have no idea if any Church discipline was taken "against him" for his position, or even if he a practicing member of the LDS Church. But the removal of his face took place sometime within the last couple of weeks - though they may have been working on it for a little while.

I think that's the most likely explanation as to why he was removed, though I've seen nothing official. But I suspect that was the cause.

Comment by Salamander Society: A Google search reveals that indeed a "Fred Hunting" signed RECONCILIATION PETITION REQUEST TO THE FIRST PRESIDENCY OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS which was delivered on 11/04/2010.
    If this is true (btw, I doubt that it is), it's interesting to me that the church would go to the pains of "the removal of his face" -- I assume that means some digital changes to make Apostle John's face not look like Fred Hunting's -- based on Hunting's involvement in Prop 8 and/or a signature on a petition to the FP. Or is this simply a case of a change from Hunting's face to Jimmer's?

This is Fred Hunting:

Because he signed a petition?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Because he signed a petition?
      More likely at his request.
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

A reason to go to the temple!!!!

How did they remove his face? Is it pixelated? IIRC, he only has one speaking line in the entire flick, and it is simply to introduce himself.

How cool would it be if the Church tipped its hat to Quentin Tarantino and gave the one spoken line the Beatrix Kiddo/Kill Bill "bleep" treatment? Followed by the red light/siren pre-existence flashback when Satan shows up.

"What are those robes you are wearing?"

"These are Hattori Hanzo robes."

"YOU LIE!!!!"

I would be interested in seeing the entire movie re-done in a Kill Bill style.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure he was a seminary teacher at my high school. Seemed a little bit effeminate -- wouldn't be surprised if he is gay.

Time to update the temple movies anyway and maybe this will provide the impetus.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

How did they remove his face? Is it pixelated? IIRC, he only has one speaking line in the entire flick, and it is simply to introduce himself.

How cool would it be if the Church tipped its hat to Quentin Tarantino and gave the one spoken line the Beatrix Kiddo/Kill Bill "bleep" treatment? Followed by the red light/siren pre-existence flashback when Satan shows up.

"YOU LIE!!!!"

You really have to be looking in order to notice it.
            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
              Which version? Is he in Opera Satan or Gay Satan? I cant remember.

I'm all amped up to go the temple now, which is a good thing.

As long as they don't remove the prominently-placed BYU Cougar from the movie, I am fine.

sigpic

Comment

Wait, so it's true? You noticed it?

Comment

Are you confirming the change to Apostle John's face?

Comment

Which version? Is he in Opera Satan or Gay Satan? I cant remember.

I'm all amped up to go the temple now, which is a good thing.

As long as they don't remove the prominently-placed BYU Cougar from the movie, I am fine.
                    Pretty sure he's in Blonde Eve version.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                      Nope.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

More likely at his request.
                        This would be an odd precedent esp since actors generally don't own the rights to the movie.

I wonder what the scoop is here?

I had heard many a tale about the alleged homosexuality of the actor who portrayed Joseph Smith in Legacy. I dont if it is true or false, btw. While the Church did replace the movie, it still sells DVD copies. It hasnt appeared to attempt to excise him from the movie, although his role is obviously integral to the movie.

sigpic

Comment

Or, as I call it, Rigoletto version.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

"YOU LIE!!!!"

Not a bad idea. I think a LOTR makeover would be interesting as well. Adam and Eve kicked out from the Shire, make a long journey through the lone and dreary world. Peter, James, and John play the role of Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli and guide them along. In the end they toss Satan into the flames of Mount Doom. It could work.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I'm pretty sure he was a seminary teacher at my high school. Seemed a little bit effeminate -- wouldn't be surprised if he is gay.

Time to update the temple movies anyway and maybe this will provide the impetus.
                              I just IMDBed Fred Hunting and found this post:
                              Brother Fred??
                              by janeece8 (Tue Aug 3 2004 08:07:22)

Did anyone else have Fred Hunting as their Seminary teacher back at SHS? He was mine for two years and I loved him. I wonder where he is now. Any thoughts or suggestions?
                              http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0403105/b...hread/10631004

Comment

Working...
                              X