LDS Church and Scouting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #91
    Meanwhile, a mission buddy of mine just pulled this off during his tenure.

    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

    Comment

    • All-American
      Right, as Usual
      • Nov 2008
      • 15673

      #92
      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      Meanwhile, a mission buddy of mine just pulled this off during his tenure.

      Of course, he lives in Idaho, so strictly speaking he is always camping.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment

      • BigPiney
        Huge Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 12371

        #93
        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Meanwhile, a mission buddy of mine just pulled this off during his tenure.

        Fake award. 100 months of camping? What does that even mean? Went on a campout once a month over 100 months? Or did he really camp for over 3000 days?

        Comment

        • wuapinmon
          Soul Plumber
          • Dec 2008
          • 30711

          #94
          Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          Fake award. 100 months of camping? What does that even mean? Went on a campout once a month over 100 months? Or did he really camp for over 3000 days?
          They did a monthly campout for 100 straight months. Not an award, just a commemorative patch.
          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

          Comment

          • Dwight Schr-ute
            Members Only
            • May 2011
            • 4917

            #95
            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            Meanwhile, a mission buddy of mine just pulled this off during his tenure.

            I lived in Kuna once for a spell. Was at a friend's parents house around lunch time and they invited us to stay. Lunch was a caldron of cobbled corn. It became an unspoken contest between the kid and his dad on who could produce the most gnawed on cobs. The dad managed 24. I can't imagine what his toilet looked like.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

            Comment

            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
              Time to camp
              • Nov 2008
              • 26082

              #96
              Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
              I lived in Kuna once for a spell. Was at a friend's parents house around lunch time and they invited us to stay. Lunch was a caldron of cobbled corn. It became an unspoken contest between the kid and his dad on who could produce the most gnawed on cobs. The dad managed 24. I can't imagine what his toilet looked like.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Probably just looked like a regular toilet.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #97
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                Probably just looked like a regular toilet.
                I believe he means the Jackson Pollack splatters caused by corn movement.
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • Sleeping in EQ
                  Philosopher of Men
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4188

                  #98
                  Is this the end of LDS-sponsored scouting? If someone isn't going to make Eagle by 14 are they pretty much done unless they find another troop?
                  We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69733

                    #99
                    Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                    Is this the end of LDS-sponsored scouting? If someone isn't going to make Eagle by 14 are they pretty much done unless they find another troop?
                    Beginning of the end I think. Surprised they didn't just do it in one step.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Sleeping in EQ
                      Philosopher of Men
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4188

                      #100
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Beginning of the end I think. Surprised they didn't just do it in one step.
                      It feels like the beginning of the end.

                      I know that school sports, science competitions, robotics, uncommitted parents, and so on have been chipping away at LDS scouting for a long time, but I actually think that when it's run well, it's a great program for some boys.

                      I am glad that funding for YW and YM should be more even, but still.
                      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69733

                        #101
                        Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                        It feels like the beginning of the end.

                        I know that school sports, science competitions, robotics, uncommitted parents, and so on have been chipping away at LDS scouting for a long time, but I actually think that when it's run well, it's a great program for some boys.

                        I am glad that funding for YW and YM should be more even, but still.
                        I have always claimed that scouting is a good thing, but it is not for everyone and it is crazy that the church outsources its young men's program to an external group like that. Someday we are going to look back and scratch our heads.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Green Monstah
                          Royal Rooter
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 13970

                          #102
                          Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                          It feels like the beginning of the end.

                          I know that school sports, science competitions, robotics, uncommitted parents, and so on have been chipping away at LDS scouting for a long time, but I actually think that when it's run well, it's a great program for some boys.

                          I am glad that funding for YW and YM should be more even, but still.
                          For those kids who are into it, I think they're better served in a non-LDS troop.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                          "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                          Comment

                          • myboynoah
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 21719

                            #103
                            Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                            Is this the end of LDS-sponsored scouting? If someone isn't going to make Eagle by 14 are they pretty much done unless they find another troop?
                            Why can't they just continue to work on their advancement after 14? Most of it is merit badges and individual projects anyway after 1st class.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                            Comment

                            • creekster
                              It is NOT a monkey!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22661

                              #104
                              Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                              Why can't they just continue to work on their advancement after 14? Most of it is merit badges and individual projects anyway after 1st class.
                              They could, but is it likely? I have. Even in my current ward for over 22 years and I can only think of o e boy who had his eagle by the age of 14. If they don't make it by then, will moms care as much as they do now?
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                              Comment

                              • Eddie
                                Senior Member
                                • Apr 2009
                                • 8098

                                #105
                                Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                Why can't they just continue to work on their advancement after 14? Most of it is merit badges and individual projects anyway after 1st class.
                                This is kind of how it's been working in my ward for the last 10+ years.

                                We have a relatively small YM's group.

                                Every other year we alternate between the 12-13 year-olds going to an organized camp and the 14+ kids doing some high adventure, and doing a combined self-organized camp for all of our boys.

                                For the self-organized camp, we typically have some merit badges that the older boys help teach. Some separate activities that they participate in while the younger boys are working on merit badges they either aren't interested in or already have, etc. Many of the activities they'll participate in even if they aren't working on an award. For example - if we're doing a long bike ride or hike, everyone comes. Whether they have/need the cycling/hiking merit badge or not.

                                Weeknight activities for kids 14+ rarely/never are focused on scouting stuff. Sometimes the whole group will go to the state capital, police dept, fire dept, etc, but even the older boys come. They're just as interested in seeing the police shooting range and museum of confiscated weapons, they can benefit from learning first aid and CPR even if they don't need a badge, and if anything a visit to the state capital and with an elected official becomes more meaningful as they get closer to voting age.

                                In all honesty - I'm not sure that this change will have a huge effect. They're still encouraging all kids to earn their Eagle - just do it by age 14. If the church starts saying that Eagle is a worthy goal for those who are interested, but it isn't for everyone - that's when you'll start seeing a big change.

                                Comment

                                Working...