LDS Church and Scouting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • smokymountainrain
    Impressive Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22593

    #46
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Another reason I will never accept a calling in Scouts.

    This was disappointing. Almost a bit of bullying, actually:
    That seems to be how some Stake Leadership roll.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #47
      Holy crap.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • Sullyute
        a day late/a dollar short
        • Jul 2010
        • 3308

        #48
        this quote was my favorite:

        Scouting is endorsed by the prophet. He knows more than you and I about the efficacy and worth of scouting. I trust he has received revelation regarding this. For me, it is an easy and straightforward concept. I follow the prophet,” the email said.
        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

        Comment

        • Soccermom
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 4063

          #49
          Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
          this quote was my favorite:



          Yeah, sounds like the wrong person was released. Yikes.

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69716

            #50
            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            Young mens leader takes a stand and loses his calling.
            Hurray for Brother Thomas.

            Sorry, but his SP is a fool. All he has accomplished is turning this guy into a martyr and ensuring that even more people will hear about the outrageous salaries paid to BSA executives ($383K for a local leader or $1.2M for the national leader is insane for a volunteer organization.). I read this article to my wife and she says she does not want to donate to Friends of Scouting ever again. Instead, we will donate directly to our local troop.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #51
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Hurray for Brother Thomas.

              Sorry, but his SP is a fool. All he has accomplished is turning this guy into a martyr and ensuring that even more people will hear about the outrageous salaries paid to BSA executives ($383K for a local leader or $1.2M for the national leader is insane for a volunteer organization.). I read this article to my wife and she says she does not want to donate to Friends of Scouting ever again. Instead, we will donate directly to our local troop.
              I also read it to my wife. She had the same thought...skip FOS altogether. She also wondered why she wasnt getting some FOS cash for being a den mother to 9 year olds.

              MMM sassing the system!
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69716

                #52
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                I also read it to my wife. She had the same thought...skip FOS altogether. She also wondered why she wasnt getting some FOS cash for being a den mother to 9 year olds.

                MMM sassing the system!
                Cha-ching.

                Chalk up another anti-FOS convert for President Roth!
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #53
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Hurray for Brother Thomas.

                  Sorry, but his SP is a fool. All he has accomplished is turning this guy into a martyr and ensuring that even more people will hear about the outrageous salaries paid to BSA executives ($383K for a local leader or $1.2M for the national leader is insane for a volunteer organization.). I read this article to my wife and she says she does not want to donate to Friends of Scouting ever again. Instead, we will donate directly to our local troop.
                  This was the same thought I had when reading it. So now you're going to get even less support for FOS. Good move SP.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • WashingtonCoug
                    Monsters like me
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 1489

                    #54
                    If I would have known that's all you have to do to get out of Scouts, I would have done that along time ago. In my last Ward where I was the scoutmaster, the Bishopric barely even mentioned FOS. They weren't big fans of scouting.
                    "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                    —Abraham Maslow

                    Comment

                    • pellegrino
                      miserere me
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 12100

                      #55
                      Follow the Prophet! Follow the Prophet! Follow the Prophet! Don't go astray! Follow the Prophet! Follow the Prophet! Follow the Prophet! He knows the way!
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

                      Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                      pelagius

                      Comment

                      • wuapinmon
                        Soul Plumber
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 30711

                        #56
                        Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        Follow the Prophet! Follow the Prophet! Follow the Prophet! Don't go astray! Follow the Prophet! Follow the Prophet! Follow the Prophet! He knows the way!
                        I don't think I like your tone, pilgrim. Conform, or be released.

                        Ah, la dolcezza di doppi sensi forza mia faccia a sorridere.
                        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                        Comment

                        • YOhio
                          Hipster Mode
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26165

                          #57
                          I've never heard of Friends of Scouting and CUF is the only place I've seen it discussed. True story.

                          Comment

                          • DU Ute
                            RIP CUF
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 7393

                            #58
                            Does FOS cover Cub Scouts as well as Boy Scouts? I need an excuse to get released.
                            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

                            Comment

                            • Moliere
                              One man.....one pie
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 27886

                              #59
                              Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                              Does FOS cover Cub Scouts as well as Boy Scouts? I need an excuse to get released.
                              Yes it does.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                              Comment

                              • Portland Ute
                                Junior Member
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 5647

                                #60
                                I'm not donating to FOS again either.

                                I had no idea how ridiculous this was.

                                WTF does the council director in Utah DO? for 220K?

                                1.5 million for the national director? GOOD HELL.

                                FOS? I'll pass...

                                Comment

                                Working...