I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
    I'm just saying that it's the 21st century, and bidets have been a feature in the civilized world for a while now. There's no reason for barbarism in our houses of worship.
    :

All this talk about toilet paper seems weird to me. Toto for the win.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

They don't care. If they cared they would hire janitors.
      This! A million times this. As a former counselor in a bishopric, I have many horror stories about the (un)cleanliness of the church buildings, especially the kitchen and the bathrooms. Since I had the opportunity to see that disgusting sausage being made, there is not enough money in the world that would get me to eat any food that has entered an LDS church kitchen. The worst thing I experienced was right before the pandemic. A raw meat smell started to permeate the entire back side of the building. The worst smells were in the kitchen, nursery, and primary rooms. In this kind of situation you start looking for hidden treasures left behind from someone's soiled and overfull diaper bag. For two weeks we searched. All this time the smell became stronger and stronger. We started to suspect rodents had done something, somewhere. All this time we were in contact with the local church building reps. They came over and couldn't find anything after a very cursory inspection. They said they would send and exterminator. The exterminator confirmed that it was mostly likely from rodents. He had found signs of rat feces and urine in the ceiling. He set traps and left us to our own devices.

The smell became unbearable. Primary and nursery kids didn't seem to mind, but teachers and others were complaining hard. Some went home sick. Others refused to enter the building. All this time we are frantically asking for help from the "professionals". My hotline app to the building reps was full of messages. Finally after a few more weeks we had called someone else. They came and inspected the entire building. They saw the same thing, but were more thorough in their search. They discovered that a rat had gotten under the refrigerator in the kitchen, got stuck in the condensation pan and drowned. We had been using a church with a dead, rotting, fully grown rat for nearly a month and a half.

I'm old enough to remember custodians that lived at church and were constantly cleaning and acting as security. We can't return to that? Really??

Also, I agree...bidets are the answer in the bathroom

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post

This! A million times this. As a former counselor in a bishopric, I have many horror stories about the (un)cleanliness of the church buildings, especially the kitchen and the bathrooms. Since I had the opportunity to see that disgusting sausage being made, there is not enough money in the world that would get me to eat any food that has entered an LDS church kitchen. The worst thing I experienced was right before the pandemic. A raw meat smell started to permeate the entire back side of the building. The worst smells were in the kitchen, nursery, and primary rooms. In this kind of situation you start looking for hidden treasures left behind from someone's soiled and overfull diaper bag. For two weeks we searched. All this time the smell became stronger and stronger. We started to suspect rodents had done something, somewhere. All this time we were in contact with the local church building reps. They came over and couldn't find anything after a very cursory inspection. They said they would send and exterminator. The exterminator confirmed that it was mostly likely from rodents. He had found signs of rat feces and urine in the ceiling. He set traps and left us to our own devices.

The smell became unbearable. Primary and nursery kids didn't seem to mind, but teachers and others were complaining hard. Some went home sick. Others refused to enter the building. All this time we are frantically asking for help from the "professionals". My hotline app to the building reps was full of messages. Finally after a few more weeks we had called someone else. They came and inspected the entire building. They saw the same thing, but were more thorough in their search. They discovered that a rat had gotten under the refrigerator in the kitchen, got stuck in the condensation pan and drowned. We had been using a church with a dead, rotting, fully grown rat for nearly a month and a half.

I'm old enough to remember custodians that lived at church and were constantly cleaning and acting as security. We can't return to that? Really??

For some reason, I laughed at that part.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post

I would pay 12% tithing if it meant we hired professional janitors. I am completely serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

I would pay 12% tithing if it meant we hired professional janitors. I am completely serious.
            You’d pay 2% of your annual income to get out of a few hours a year of custodial work?

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

You’d pay 2% of your annual income to get out of a few hours a year of custodial work?
              And to help restore the conditions of the church buildings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

Guys, guys. Can you not read the room? The church is vulnerable now with all the bad press about being, well, obscenely rich. Go on the offense. Threaten to pay only 8% tithing until the janitors return!
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Guys, guys. Can you not read the room? The church is vulnerable now with all the bad press about being, well, obscenely rich. Go on the offense. Threaten to pay only 8% tithing until the janitors return!
                  Will a man rob God?

Comment

• Yeah sure we covenant to dedicate our time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed us to building up Jesus Christ’s Church on the earth but can't be burdened with splashing around a mop a couple times a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      Yeah sure we covenant to dedicate our time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed us to building up Jesus Christ’s Church on the earth but can't be burdened with splashing around a mop a couple times a year.
                      That work is beneath us. We should leave it to the immigrants and welfare recipients…
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

That work is beneath us. We should leave it to the immigrants and welfare recipients…
                        lol. I imagine some bishop somewhere has made cleaning the building a requirement to receive church welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          Yeah sure we covenant to dedicate our time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed us to building up Jesus Christ’s Church on the earth but can't be burdened with splashing around a mop a couple times a year.
                          52 times

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

52 times
                            Come to Zion
                            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• I learned this on YouTube (thanks to a CB link), rather than in Church, but Andy Reid and his wife presented a fireside in KC that's very good. I knew he was "loyal" to the Church but I didn't realize how active or committed he is. He cites various scriptures, talks about his gospel-centered priorities, and comes off as a truly good, spiritual guy. Very impressive. If the Niners had to lose the SB to anyone, I'm glad it was him.

Comment

• Another good listen from Andy Reid is his appearance on the All In podcast. He's obviously a very dedicated member. I like the stories of him looking to take the sacrament on game days, sometimes it's just him and maybe a couple other members on the team/staff that find a quiet place to do it.

All In (ldsliving.com)
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X