I learned in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
    A few months back my wife had surgery, and ever since then she hasn't been able (or maybe willing) to sit in church chairs for three hours, so she has been going home after Sacrament Meeting. I have gotten in the habit of sitting in the back of Sunday School and spending the hour reviewing the previous day's BYU game thread from CUF. Today, my wife attended Sunday School with me for the first time in a few months. I learned in church today that my wife does not approve of my new habit. So I read it in priesthood instead (which is harder because there are only about 8 of us in there).
    iPadding in the 'Hood is tricky. I have tried several methods but the most effective approach I have found is to simply not care if other people see what you are reading.

Today in Sacrament, i was iPadding (did i make that up? I will take credit if so), reading CUF and LAT, etc. A guy pats me on the shoulder in the middle of the meeting. I was sitting on the end of the row. I look up and it is the guy that counts everyone sitting in all the rows. He saw me reading CUF and paused over my shoulder. When he patted my shoulder, I looked back at him and he was smiling. He whispered, "I have lurked there and on Cougarboard."

Let your light so shine!!!!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      iPadding in the 'Hood is tricky. I have tried several methods but the most effective approach I have found is to simply not care if other people see what you are reading.

Today in Sacrament, i was iPadding (did i make that up? I will take credit if so), reading CUF and LAT, etc. A guy pats me on the shoulder in the middle of the meeting. I was sitting on the end of the row. I look up and it is the guy that counts everyone sitting in all the rows. He saw me reading CUF and paused over my shoulder. When he patted my shoulder, I looked back at him and he was smiling. He whispered, "I have lurked there and on Cougarboard."

I check CUF in ward council meetings. I just sit by the door so there is only one chair on my right and I angle myself to disguise the screen. I figure it's fine because I rarely have much to add while the EQP, HPL, RSP and Bishopric discuss stuff.

I did try and check my Fantasy Football roster today in Priesthood but a Priest called me on it so I had to shut it down . Thankfully no one else saw it and he didn't tell them so I'm still safe in telling them to put their phones away.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I have learned a few tricks for iPadding in church. If you are meeting in a small room, try to get there early and stake out a seat in the back corner. For bigger rooms or meeting areas, always show up 5-10 minutes late so that you see where everyone is sitting and then grab a strategic spot by yourself, preferably on the end of a row. If you go early, somebody may end up plopping down right next to you (this happened to me last week, one of the HPG leaders trying to fellowship me). Another key strategy is to get a good quality book-like cover for your iPad that acts as a shield when you are using it. Also, when you are surfing CUF in church, make sure you have the lesson manual app open at the same time and kind of follow along so that if they call on you, you can quickly switch back to the lesson app and read your part out loud. Everyone will be impressed.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I have learned a few tricks for iPadding in church. If you are meeting in a small room, try to get there early and stake out a seat in the back corner. For bigger rooms or meeting areas, always show up 5-10 minutes late so that you see where everyone is sitting and then grab a strategic spot by yourself, preferably on the end of a row. If you go early, somebody may end up plopping down right next to you (this happened to me last week, one of the HPG leaders trying to fellowship me). Another key strategy is to get a good quality book-like cover for your iPad that acts as a shield when you are using it. Also, when you are surfing CUF in church, make sure you have the lesson manual app open at the same time and kind of follow along so that if they call on you, you can quickly multi-task back to the lesson and read your part out loud. Everyone will be impressed.
          What do you guys do though at things like Priesthood or other broadcasts when the lights go out?
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            What do you guys do though at things like Priesthood or other broadcasts when the lights go out?
            Sleep.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Sleep.
              At what point will the Church recognize that church is boring? Seems like you can't fix the problem if you don't admit there is a problem.

I iPad at church frequently. I usually follow along with the lesson manual, but occasionally hit CUF or CB. JL's guide to church iPad use is spot on, IMO. I also keep a good book in Kindle. It's nice to have an ultimate fallback that you don't need Wifi or recent CUF posts to lean on. (Since CUF is Westrocentric, it's pretty slow on Sunday mornings for those on EST).
              "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                At what point will the Church recognize that church is boring? Seems like you can't fix the problem if you don't admit there is a problem.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I got an email from our EQP asking me to meet with the branch president today. I have been without a major calling for a while (but my wife is RS president) so I figured the good life was coming to an end.

So I get to church a little early, and meet with the BP. He says that my temple recommend is expired. I'm sure that I renewed it about a year ago, but he says we need to have another interview, which went fine. Then he asked me about my home teaching, which is admittedly subpar, and asked me to do better.

At the end of the meeting, I mentioned that I thought my recommend was current. He didn't have the (old) temple recommend book with him to check, but said my name came up in a report.

Today I learned that there is a report for lapsed temple recommends.
                  "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                    Today we talked about the second coming and about what would happen. I'm pretty sure I won't be around for it and I sat their wondering how this affected me. I wish we would talk more about Christ and how we can become better people because week after week I walk out of that church truly uninspired.
                    Anyone know what the curriculum will be next year? My vote is for Teachings of Christ. With all the scrutiny a Mitt run for the White House might bring it would be something nice to point to when the Mormons-aren't-Christian crowd pipes up.
                    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

• Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                      Anyone know what the curriculum will be next year? My vote is for Teachings of Christ. With all the scrutiny a Mitt run for the White House might bring it would be something nice to point to when the Mormons-aren't-Christian crowd pipes up.
                      The Teachings of Boyd K Packer

Comment

I have learned a few tricks for iPadding in church. If you are meeting in a small room, try to get there early and stake out a seat in the back corner. For bigger rooms or meeting areas, always show up 5-10 minutes late so that you see where everyone is sitting and then grab a strategic spot by yourself, preferably on the end of a row. If you go early, somebody may end up plopping down right next to you (this happened to me last week, one of the HPG leaders trying to fellowship me). Another key strategy is to get a good quality book-like cover for your iPad that acts as a shield when you are using it. Also, when you are surfing CUF in church, make sure you have the lesson manual app open at the same time and kind of follow along so that if they call on you, you can quickly switch back to the lesson app and read your part out loud. Everyone will be impressed.
                        These are great suggestions. I echo the back row strategy.

One great tactic that works across all meetings is the Foyer Retreat maneuver. Hide in plain sight. The comfort of a couch, the benefit of A/C breeze, and a drinking fountain nearby. You would be amazed at how may Ward leaders skip their meetings as well. They hang out in the halls talking. Foyer Retreat is great because if someone else spots you, they are also skipping class.

One caveat about Foyer Retreat: easily countered with the Bishop's Flanking Guilt Sweep.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

These are great suggestions. I echo the back row strategy.

One great tactic that works across all meetings is the Foyer Retreat maneuver. Hide in plain sight. The comfort of a couch, the benefit of A/C breeze, and a drinking fountain nearby. You would be amazed at how may Ward leaders skip their meetings as well. They hang out in the halls talking. Foyer Retreat is great because if someone else spots you, they are also skipping class.

One caveat about Foyer Retreat: easily countered with the Bishop's Flanking Guilt Sweep.
                          I use this one a lot. Whenever anyone tries to engage in conversation I always tell them I'm prepping a lesson. Everyone knows not to bother someone who is prepping a lesson.

Comment

• Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                            Teaching of George Albert Smith.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Today I learned in church that if you have a child that is noisy then you should take him out. The Bishop make this pretty clear to everyone. After he was done I immediately got up and took our young son out to the foyer. He wasn't being noisy but I figured I wouldn't take the chance. Besides it is ideal for iPadding like DDD said.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                                Teaching of George Albert Smith.
                                Cool. Hopefully we can discuss G.A.S.'s transforming of the Word of Wisdom from a suggestion to a mandate, and somehow work in Mark Twain's comments about Brigham Young's well-stocked liquor cabinet, the 'best west is the Mississippi'.

Comment

Working...
                                X