I learned that priesthood blessings work for goldfish.
I learned in church today
Collapse
X
-
One of my FB friends has a pic of him and this Mo candidate, dressed in their Sunday best in the foyer right next to a portrait of Jesus.Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View PostThere is a Mo running for Gov in Oregon and my FiL hosted a dinner for him and sent out information to everyone in the stake about it. Then brought the candidate to church with him where the guy made an impromptu stump speech to open PHood. My FiL is now really mad at his SP for "not understanding the whole point of the church" after the asap called and told him that wasn't appropriate."...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
"You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
- SeattleUte
Comment
-
Oh, for crying out loud. You'd think the candidate would know better after the kerfluffle with Judge Smith.Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View PostYesterday I received an email from one of the councilors in the stake presidency inviting me to a political campaign fundraiser for a guy running for Lt. Governor. Oh, that guy running for Lt. Governor just so happens to be the other councilor in the stake presidency. My wife got the same email.
It's nice to see that LDStools is hastening the work.
Comment
-
Latter-Day Stools.Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View PostIt's nice to see that LDStools is hastening the work.Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss
There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock
Comment
-
Latter-day Stools.Originally posted by Donuthole View PostLatter-Day Stools.Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.
Dig your own grave, and save!
"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American
"I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
It's not LdStools, it's LDStools. Duh.Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss
There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock
Comment
-
Last night we had a combined activity just for the Young Men. We started by playing a game and then had a special presentation, which consisted of watching this conference talk and then having a discussion. For starters, i'm not really on board with turning weekday activities into more church. That's one sure way to kill attendance at YM. That notwithstanding, the ultimate message ended up bugging me.
For those who don't remember the talk (I didn't) it relates a story of a young American who got a scholarship to a prestigious Japanese university. He and two other American friends attended a rooftop party, which apparently morphed into a party where the "alcohol amplified" and someone busted out some weed. When it reached the point where people were sharing "marijuana cigarettes", it wasn't enough for this kid to just leave (an Irish Exit, as they say). He felt prompted to let everyone know that "they could do as they wished," but he wouldn't participate in such activities. As he and one of his friends were leaving the building, the police arrived and eventually arrested everyone whose fingers smelled of MJ. The American who stayed had only been passing the joint around, and didn't ever smoke. Still, he got expelled and had to return home to America.
While there are some things that bug me about the story, I was generally fine with the message. However, the discussion afterward made me a bit uncomfortable. Much emphasis was places on how that kid's life was "ruined" by his choice to stay at a party with marijuana, while the kids who left eventually went on to great success. One leader felt compelled to tell the YM about how the temptations don't stop when you become an adult. He related that, as a firefighter, he is often presented with opportunities to attend parties put on by fellow firefighters. He told us how he always asks if there will be alcohol at the party, and when they say yes, he always takes the opportunity to let them know that he won't be attending because he "do[es]n't drink and [he] do[es]n't attend parties where alcohol is being consumed.
Sadly, i'm new enough in the ward that I chickened out and didn't rebut his asinine statements. And I didn't really want to make a scene in front of the YM, but today I'm feeling like I should have pointed out that, as an adult, there is nothing wrong with attending parties where alcohol is being served.
Anyway, this is sort of an incomplete thought, and I don't have time to wrap it up right now. But I wanted to let you all know what I learned in church yesterday.Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss
There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock
Comment
-
Originally posted by Donuthole View PostLast night we had a combined activity just for the Young Men. We started by playing a game and then had a special presentation, which consisted of watching this conference talk and then having a discussion. For starters, i'm not really on board with turning weekday activities into more church. That's one sure way to kill attendance at YM. That notwithstanding, the ultimate message ended up bugging me.
For those who don't remember the talk (I didn't) it relates a story of a young American who got a scholarship to a prestigious Japanese university. He and two other American friends attended a rooftop party, which apparently morphed into a party where the "alcohol amplified" and someone busted out some weed. When it reached the point where people were sharing "marijuana cigarettes", it wasn't enough for this kid to just leave (an Irish Exit, as they say). He felt prompted to let everyone know that "they could do as they wished," but he wouldn't participate in such activities. As he and one of his friends were leaving the building, the police arrived and eventually arrested everyone whose fingers smelled of MJ. The American who stayed had only been passing the joint around, and didn't ever smoke. Still, he got expelled and had to return home to America.
While there are some things that bug me about the story, I was generally fine with the message. However, the discussion afterward made me a bit uncomfortable. Much emphasis was places on how that kid's life was "ruined" by his choice to stay at a party with marijuana, while the kids who left eventually went on to great success. One leader felt compelled to tell the YM about how the temptations don't stop when you become an adult. He related that, as a firefighter, he is often presented with opportunities to attend parties put on by fellow firefighters. He told us how he always asks if there will be alcohol at the party, and when they say yes, he always takes the opportunity to let them know that he won't be attending because he "do[es]n't drink and [he] do[es]n't attend parties where alcohol is being consumed.
Sadly, i'm new enough in the ward that I chickened out and didn't rebut his asinine statements. And I didn't really want to make a scene in front of the YM, but today I'm feeling like I should have pointed out that, as an adult, there is nothing wrong with attending parties where alcohol is being served.
Anyway, this is sort of an incomplete thought, and I don't have time to wrap it up right now. But I wanted to let you all know what I learned in church yesterday.
I miss those days.
I'm like LeBron James.
-mpfunk
Comment
-
-
Seriously, and it wasn't really in church. I mean, it was in a church and the mutual activity was about as boring as church, but it wasn't technically church. DH should have started a new thread.Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View PostWrong thread.
"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf
Comment
-
I agree that there is nothing inherently wrong with being involved in a get together where alcohol is present, but I also don't have a problem when people make the decision to not want to be around it at all. If it is presented as a an approach to dealing with a temptation, then whats the big deal. I gather though, that in your YM activity it was presented as the only approach. I don't really care for painting with such broad strokes, nor do I care for the pious declaration/shaming that he would not attend because alcohol is being served.Originally posted by Donuthole View PostLast night we had a combined activity just for the Young Men. We started by playing a game and then had a special presentation, which consisted of watching this conference talk and then having a discussion. For starters, i'm not really on board with turning weekday activities into more church. That's one sure way to kill attendance at YM. That notwithstanding, the ultimate message ended up bugging me.
For those who don't remember the talk (I didn't) it relates a story of a young American who got a scholarship to a prestigious Japanese university. He and two other American friends attended a rooftop party, which apparently morphed into a party where the "alcohol amplified" and someone busted out some weed. When it reached the point where people were sharing "marijuana cigarettes", it wasn't enough for this kid to just leave (an Irish Exit, as they say). He felt prompted to let everyone know that "they could do as they wished," but he wouldn't participate in such activities. As he and one of his friends were leaving the building, the police arrived and eventually arrested everyone whose fingers smelled of MJ. The American who stayed had only been passing the joint around, and didn't ever smoke. Still, he got expelled and had to return home to America.
While there are some things that bug me about the story, I was generally fine with the message. However, the discussion afterward made me a bit uncomfortable. Much emphasis was places on how that kid's life was "ruined" by his choice to stay at a party with marijuana, while the kids who left eventually went on to great success. One leader felt compelled to tell the YM about how the temptations don't stop when you become an adult. He related that, as a firefighter, he is often presented with opportunities to attend parties put on by fellow firefighters. He told us how he always asks if there will be alcohol at the party, and when they say yes, he always takes the opportunity to let them know that he won't be attending because he "do[es]n't drink and [he] do[es]n't attend parties where alcohol is being consumed.
Sadly, i'm new enough in the ward that I chickened out and didn't rebut his asinine statements. And I didn't really want to make a scene in front of the YM, but today I'm feeling like I should have pointed out that, as an adult, there is nothing wrong with attending parties where alcohol is being served.
Anyway, this is sort of an incomplete thought, and I don't have time to wrap it up right now. But I wanted to let you all know what I learned in church yesterday.
Comment
-
If adults refrain from attending parties where alcohol is served, you are left to ward functions. What function outside of LDS functions does not have some alcohol? This approach tends to isolate LDS and make them appear more clannish than LDS already appear. Lots of people attend parties where alcohol is served and don't drink. To me, the concept you should refrain from attending any and all events where alcohol is unwise.Originally posted by imanihonjin View PostI agree that there is nothing inherently wrong with being involved in a get together where alcohol is present, but I also don't have a problem when people make the decision to not want to be around it at all. If it is presented as a an approach to dealing with a temptation, then whats the big deal. I gather though, that in your YM activity it was presented as the only approach. I don't really care for painting with such broad strokes, nor do I care for the pious declaration/shaming that he would not attend because alcohol is being served."Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."
Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.
Comment
-
Uh, my work functions - where 80%+ are active LDS.Originally posted by Topper View PostIf adults refrain from attending parties where alcohol is served, you are left to ward functions. What function outside of LDS functions does not have some alcohol? This approach tends to isolate LDS and make them appear more clannish than LDS already appear. Lots of people attend parties where alcohol is served and don't drink. To me, the concept you should refrain from attending any and all events where alcohol is unwise.I'm like LeBron James.
-mpfunk
Comment
-
Largely depends on what type of environment you are in. At my previous employer, it was common to go to dinner/happy hours quite frequently (2-3 times a week). At more than half of those, things got sloppy in a hurry and I would check out. No big deal, I just didn't really care having conversations with people after a certain point. At my current employer, alcohol consumption at dinner/social functions is extremely rare and I have never seen a person lose control. It would be career suicide (and no I am not in Utah or anywhere close to Utah, nor do I work with very many other Mormons, in fact I don't believe I have ever been to a social function with another Mormon).Originally posted by Topper View PostIf adults refrain from attending parties where alcohol is served, you are left to ward functions. What function outside of LDS functions does not have some alcohol? This approach tends to isolate LDS and make them appear more clannish than LDS already appear. Lots of people attend parties where alcohol is served and don't drink. To me, the concept you should refrain from attending any and all events where alcohol is unwise.
It wouldn't be my approach to preclude myself from attending events where alcohol is being served, but I don't have a problem with someone making that choice.
Comment
-
Agreed. Donut says there is nothing wrong with attending a party where alcohol is being served and I agree 100%, but I would go the other direction as well that there is nothing wrong with avoiding a party where alcohol is being served if that what you feel is best for you - though I can't imagine that scenario myself.Originally posted by imanihonjin View PostLargely depends on what type of environment you are in. At my previous employer, it was common to go to dinner/happy hours quite frequently (2-3 times a week). At more than half of those, things got sloppy in a hurry and I would check out. No big deal, I just didn't really care having conversations with people after a certain point. At my current employer, alcohol consumption at dinner/social functions is extremely rare and I have never seen a person lose control. It would be career suicide (and no I am not in Utah or anywhere close to Utah, nor do I work with very many other Mormons, in fact I don't believe I have ever been to a social function with another Mormon).
It wouldn't be my approach to preclude myself from attending events where alcohol is being served, but I don't have a problem with someone making that choice.
From donut's story, the problem is in making a blanket statement on the assumption that there is a one size fits all answer.I'm like LeBron James.
-mpfunk
Comment
Comment