LDS Garments: Why I Want Out of This Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    This boom-lowering, however, is VERY serious.

Members may make their own temple aprons only if they use the approved apron embroidery and sewing kit that is available through Church Distribution Services. Other temple ceremonial clothing may not be made. Nor may temple garments be made.
    Is this in book 2?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Is this in book 2?
      People who aren't in cults don't have to ask questions like this?!
      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Is this in book 2?
        Yes, the one that's available on the lds website.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• I always thought it would be cool to rock an apron with actual leaves on it. Some huge maple leaves or a mixed variety of local stuff. Maybe the leaves could be secured with a bedazzle gun or something. It would look really earthy and others would want one.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            I always thought it would be cool to rock an apron with actual leaves on it. Some huge maple leaves or a mixed variety of local stuff. Maybe the leaves could be secured with a bedazzle gun or something. It would look really earthy and others would want one.
            fig leaves are way cooler.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
              People who aren't in cults don't have to ask questions like this?!
              So true, but I was hoping it was in the sealed book so I could just be ignorant instead of willfully ignorant. I'm not sure what the difference is between some old grandma making garments and me making them. Probably something to do with control and fear that people will make the garments to fit a certain style.

I've never made my own but I'm tempted to after struggling to find a bottom that works. I'm a 32 waist and my options are 28-30 (fits around my waist but too small for comfort) or 32-34 (very loose and the short length goes past my knees).
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• So just wondering Mrs. Funk? How do you feel now about garments while possibly trying to nurse?? Fun huh? I think when this next keiki of ours is born I am going garment free for nursing, too much to worry about with garments, nursing bra/tank top, and an actual top.
                I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

• Originally posted by Gidget View Post
                  So just wondering Mrs. Funk? How do you feel now about garments while possibly trying to nurse?? Fun huh? I think when this next keiki of ours is born I am going garment free for nursing, too much to worry about with garments, nursing bra/tank top, and an actual top.
                  Don't forget the hassle of nursing pads!

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    Also, lose the tags. Time to go tag less.

This is another example of a gerontocracy unknowingly making things unnecessarily challenging.
                    I've been saying this for years. I even e-mailed the church about it and wrote it on one of the suggestion cards at Beehive clothing.

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                    They should totally be tagless. They need to get on the Hanes bandwagon.
                    Honestly, I could give up my heathen ways and sit through three hours of church every Sunday but I could NEVER go back to wearing garments.
                    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                    -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

• Originally posted by Gidget View Post
                      So just wondering Mrs. Funk? How do you feel now about garments while possibly trying to nurse?? Fun huh? I think when this next keiki of ours is born I am going garment free for nursing, too much to worry about with garments, nursing bra/tank top, and an actual top.
                      With my first, I actually did the whole nursing garment thing. It was so awful. With my other two, I just wore a bra under and stretched the hell out of my necklines pulling them down under my breasts to give my babies access.
                      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                      -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

• How do yall dispose of ruined garments?

Toss them?
                        Cut out the marks?
                        Burn the marks?
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          How do yall dispose of ruined garments?

Toss them?
                          Cut out the marks?
                          Burn the marks?
                          cut out marks, cut into rags (if cotton) or cut apart and toss into the trash.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                            I've been saying this for years. I even e-mailed the church about it and wrote it on one of the suggestion cards at Beehive clothing.

Honestly, I could give up my heathen ways and sit through three hours of church every Sunday but I could NEVER go back to wearing garments.
                            I just tear the tags off the tops. I've found that if you grasp them very firmly and pull quickly and hard the tag shreds and comes right off. I don't wear tops with tags. I hate them and I "deface" the garment, I suppose, by freeing myself from tags.

Comment

• Originally posted by marsupial View Post

why not compromise? For example, dont go back to Church, just wear garments for 3 hours on Sunday.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• I cut out all the symbols and then tear them up a bit, and then I burn the symbols, I know you don't have to, but the burning is the fun reward after cutting them up.

I honestly think my husband would not approve if I just chose not to wear them, maybe he wouldn't care at all actually, but he would constantly be giving me a hard time about it. But seriously, I wear my garments 95% of the time. I feel like being hugely pregnant with all the issues that go along with it, such as nursing, could be a lot easier without the top for a bit. I am not as "gung ho" as 'Sup, I don't think I want to go without them (which I know she would respect), but that time is so stressful as it is. It is really hard to look forward to the tears is caused last time, literal tears. I just feel like it shouldn't be like that. If they come up with some better nursing garments or even something completely different I would certainly be willing to listen.
                                I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                X