Mission Calls on YouTube

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16938

    #1

    Mission Calls on YouTube

    Why was I not informed of this? A mission president-elect just told me about the common practice of YouTubing the opening of one’s mission call. I checked and there are perhaps hundreds of these things.

    Some include a swelling orchestral soundtrack.
    [YOUTUBE]z4xWZH7GM6g&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

    Here’s one of a young woman who has apparently been called to her boyfriend’s mission, and the family’s reaction is entertaining.
    [YOUTUBE]-lhKt3Y4juM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

    Those vids include links to dozens of others. If it hasn’t done so already, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Church issues a recommendation that such things not be published as it should be a private, spiritual affair among family and close friends. I’m aware of videos where the recipient or his/her family is NOT happy about the call, but I haven’t seen them yet.

    Things have changed since my day. My call came when I was home alone. I opened it on the spot, left it on the kitchen counter, and then left to play golf with some nonmember friends. My parents mentioned it when I got home that night.
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #2
    My mom's reaction when I said Italy was blurting out "Whaaaaaa?" like Moe Syzlak.

    She grabbed the paper from my hand and it tore in half.

    It would have been fun to get that on vid...Super 8mm.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #3
      Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Why was I not informed of this? A mission president-elect just told me about the common practice of YouTubing the opening of one’s mission call. I checked and there are perhaps hundreds of these things.

      Here’s one of a young woman who has apparently been called to her boyfriend’s mission, and the family’s reaction is entertaining.
      [youtube]-lhKt3Y4juM&feature=related[/youtube]
      That girl is a cutie, I thought. She seems to be wearing a wedding ring of some sort.

      The dad should be embarrassed for his lack of procedural knowledge (he is probably in a leadership position)..."I don't think you can serve in that mission...." No wonder kids come to Church thinking that Satan resides in swimming pools.

      I agree re: videotaping and posting. What's next, baby blessings in the home?
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • I.J. Reilly
        Nobody's Fool
        • Apr 2009
        • 2949

        #4
        Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        Here’s one of a young woman who has apparently been called to her boyfriend’s mission, and the family’s reaction is entertaining.
        [YOUTUBE]-lhKt3Y4juM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
        I'm pretty sure this girls parents are right, there's no way she can serve in the same mission with someone whom she was/is dating!

        Apparently they didn't like the guy. Also, our sister missionary was going to use her mission to break up with the boy.

        Comment

        • Fiyero
          Banned
          • Nov 2008
          • 5266

          #5
          Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
          I'm pretty sure this girls parents are right, there's no way she can serve in the same mission with someone whom she was/is dating!

          Apparently they didn't like the guy. Also, our sister missionary was going to use her mission to break up with the boy.
          My comp's girlfriend was called to our mission. She called the church and had it changed.

          Inspiration my ass.

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37996

            #6
            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            If it hasn’t done so already, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Church issues a recommendation that such things not be published as it should be a private, spiritual affair among family and close friends. I’m aware of videos where the recipient or his/her family is NOT happy about the call, but I haven’t seen them yet.

            Things have changed since my day. My call came when I was home alone. I opened it on the spot, left it on the kitchen counter, and then left to play golf with some nonmember friends. My parents mentioned it when I got home that night.
            When I was a freshman at Merrill Hall, plenty of out-of-state prospective elders (i.e. non-Utahns) would open their mission calls on the phone down on the lobby. They'd call their parents from there, which seemed odd since they had phones in their rooms. Then it made sense. Those who opened it down in the lobby usually invited the entire ward to the opening. Everyone packed in around the phone right there in the hall.

            I opened mine at my house (I drove the 45 minutes from Provo) and I brought a few of my friends along. I think my mom made cinnamon rolls.
            Last edited by falafel; 02-25-2010, 09:26 PM.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Portland Ute
              Junior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 5647

              #7
              Back in the day, the Kaysville post office would call you the minute they sorted your mission call. It was usually around 4 or 5 in the morning.

              I remember driving down to the post office. My best friend was there picking his up.

              I went home and opened it: "You have been called to serve in the.... Muh- lag- uh Spain mission?" "Muh-lag-uh?"

              "That's what it says."

              "Where is that? I've heard of Madrid and Barcelona..."

              "Hey, Dave (dad on the phone...), sorry to wake you so early. You went to Spain, right? Where is this Mal ag uh? Yeah...he's going to Spain. Great... We'll see you in a while...."

              Phone rings. It's my friend. "Where are you going?" "Malaga" "Where's that?" "Southern Spain, I guess... Where are you going?" "Lisbon Portugal South?" "Are you excited?" "Yeah, I don't mind tacos and burritos and bullfighting and stuff."

              As it would turn out, my friend and I went to the MTC the same day. We left the MTC the same morning. We were in the same terminal in the SLC airport when we left. We spent time in adjacent zones (never saw each other). We served our missions on the same peninsula.

              I'm still trying to figure out how Galicia, Pais Vasco, and the Canary Islands are part of Spain, but Portugal is not.
              Last edited by Portland Ute; 02-25-2010, 09:29 PM.

              Comment

              • Portland Ute
                Junior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 5647

                #8
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                If it hasn’t done so already, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Church issues a recommendation that such things not be published as it should be a private, spiritual affair among family and close friends. I’m aware of videos where the recipient or his/her family is NOT happy about the call, but I haven’t seen them yet.

                Things have changed since my day. My call came when I was home alone. I opened it on the spot, left it on the kitchen counter, and then left to play golf with some nonmember friends. My parents mentioned it when I got home that night.
                When I was a freshman at Merrill Hall, plenty of out-of-state prospective elders (i.e. non-Utahns) would open their mission calls on the phone down on the lobby. They'd call their parents from there, which seemed odd since they had phones in their rooms. Then it made sense. Those who opened it down in the lobby usually invited the entire ward to the opening. Everyone packed in around the phone right there in the hall.

                I opened mine at my house (I drove the 45 minutes from Provo) and I brought a few of my friends along. I think my mom made cinnamon rolls.[/QUOTE]

                It's my opinion that if people want to share it, however weird I might think it is to post it on Youtube, it's their mission call. It's their life. They are giving up 1.5-2 years to do this. Let them announce it to others however the "F" they want to. What harm does it cause?

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37996

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                  It's my opinion that if people want to share it, however weird I might think it is to post it on Youtube, it's their mission call. It's their life. They are giving up 1.5-2 years to do this. Let them announce it to others however the "F" they want to. What harm does it cause?
                  No skin off my nose. It just seemed a little strange to me. I wasn't calling the house mom or anything to get them to stop.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • LA Ute
                    Receiver of Memory
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19512

                    #10
                    I just remember hurrying to the family's world globe to figure out where El Salvador and Guatemala are. I saw the letter in the pile of mail and opened it immediately, with my best friend standing by. Then I called my parents (who were at work), called a few friends and my bishop, and went on with the day. I called my siblings that evening. At that time the "opening the envelope gathering" had not become a quasi-tradition.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden


                    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                    Comment

                    • Portland Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 5647

                      #11
                      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      I just remember hurrying to the family's world globe to figure out where El Salvador and Guatemala are. I saw the letter in the pile of mail and opened it immediately, with my best friend standing by. Then I called my parents (who were at work), called a few friends and my bishop, and went on with the day. I called my siblings that evening. At that time the "opening the envelope gathering" had not become a quasi-tradition.
                      quasi-tradition now, quasi-ordinance later.

                      Comment

                      • dabrockster
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 10953

                        #12
                        Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        Why was I not informed of this? A mission president-elect just told me about the common practice of YouTubing the opening of one’s mission call. I checked and there are perhaps hundreds of these things.


                        Here’s one of a young woman who has apparently been called to her boyfriend’s mission, and the family’s reaction is entertaining.
                        [YOUTUBE]-lhKt3Y4juM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]


                        LOL. Such a joyous occasion shocked by a shaking testimony experience.. I am sure it is no big deal, but their reaction is hilarious. Including hers...

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #13
                          My parents were in Vegas at Comdex. I had had wisdom teeth surgery the day before, so I was staying with some family friends in the ward. The dad went by my house and got the mail since I was recovering. I called my parents on the phone and opened it in their kitchen. They took a photo of me with raised eyebrows as I read the call to the Costa Rica-San José Mission.

                          The ward bulletin had me going to the Puerto Rico-San José Mission, wrong on both counts.

                          I called my 'girlfriend' and she was excited. Not excited enough to kiss me, ever. But, excited. I asked her to consider marrying me about a year after I got home (we dated for a year after I came home). She told me she'd think about it. I didn't pester her, and six weeks later she called me and told me she was going on a mission to Rosario, Argentina.

                          I assume she meant 'no.' She never said.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • kccougar
                            9262
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 7020

                            #14
                            I like the mission call pranks...

                            [YOUTUBE]lZ-xe8XlAms[/YOUTUBE]
                            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                            Comment

                            • UtahDan
                              *
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14496

                              #15
                              Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              When I was a freshman at Merrill Hall, plenty of out-of-state prospective elders (i.e. non-Utahns) would open their mission calls on the phone down on the lobby. They'd call their parents from there, which seemed odd since they had phones in their rooms. Then it made sense. Those who opened it down in the lobby usually invited the entire ward to the opening. Everyone packed in around the phone right there in the hall.

                              I opened mine at my house (I drove the 45 minutes from Provo) and I brought a few of my friends along. I think my mom made cinnamon rolls.
                              Named for my polygamist ancestor. This explains a lot.

                              Comment

                              Working...