How do you keep from getting a calling without

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cowboy
    Homer Weems
    • Dec 2008
    • 5740

    #1

    How do you keep from getting a calling without

    just flat declining. My bishop keeps hinting that I'm going to take the place of a guy who is moving, and I'm really not the man for the job. I don't want to tell him no, but he's got the wrong fella. I just moved into the ward two weeks ago (it's the ward I grew up in, and everyone there knows me,) and I feel like they are just picking on me because I'm fresh meat.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924
  • smokymountainrain
    Impressive Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22593

    #2
    Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    just flat declining. My bishop keeps hinting that I'm going to take the place of a guy who is moving, and I'm really not the man for the job. I don't want to tell him no, but he's got the wrong fella. I just moved into the ward two weeks ago (it's the ward I grew up in, and everyone there knows me,) and I feel like they are just picking on me because I'm fresh meat.
    Yeah, I wouldn't make a good scoutmaster either.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

    Comment

    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
      Time to camp
      • Nov 2008
      • 26082

      #3
      You could tell him you are struggling with a porn addiction.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

      Comment

      • cowboy
        Homer Weems
        • Dec 2008
        • 5740

        #4
        Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        You could tell him you are struggling with a porn addiction.
        Didn't work. I already told him about my Barley Legal subscription, and he STILL thinks I would be a good SS teacher for the 15-16 year olds.
        sigpic
        "Outlined against a blue, gray
        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
        Grantland Rice, 1924

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #5
          You already know the answer, as you mentioned you don't want to do that.

          Or, you could just quit going to church. Inactivity is a great way to avoid any calling.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • marsupial
            Mississippi Queen
            • Nov 2008
            • 3678

            #6
            Originally posted by cowboy View Post
            Didn't work. I already told him about my Barley Legal subscription, and he STILL thinks I would be a good SS teacher for the 15-16 year olds.
            What? That's a great calling. You should consider yourself lucky.
            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
            -Teenage Dirtbag

            Comment

            • cowboy
              Homer Weems
              • Dec 2008
              • 5740

              #7
              Originally posted by marsupial View Post
              What? That's a great calling. You should consider yourself lucky.
              If only that was really the calling. This one is ten times worse.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

              Comment

              • landpoke
                Never once baby snatched
                • Nov 2008
                • 4183

                #8
                Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                If only that was really the calling. This one is ten times worse.
                Preg testing the church's herd?

                (Oh course I just assume they have a herd what with the preparedness and the food storage and and the end of the world and whatnot.)
                There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                …
                Tomorrow is Saturday
                And Sunday comes afterwards

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #9
                  Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                  Preg testing the church's herd?

                  (Oh course I just assume they have a herd what with the preparedness and the food storage and and the end of the world and whatnot.)
                  I am laughing out loud right now. None of this LOL stuff, but the real thing.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • SoonerCoug
                    Joycelyn Elders Supporter
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 4680

                    #10
                    SoonerCoug's 5 keys to not receiving a meaningful calling while keeping your temple recommend:

                    1) Never attend a Church activity
                    2) Don't do home teaching
                    3) Pay tithing in lump sum at end of year and don't attend tithing settlement. Have wife hand the envelope to the bishop.
                    4) Never talk to anyone at Church except for people who you're certain have no influence over the bishopric and would never be called to a bishopric.
                    5) Never ever confess any masturbatory activities

                    If no one knows anything about you, they're not going to give you a busy, burdensome calling like scoutmaster. The key is staying invisible.
                    Last edited by SoonerCoug; 01-12-2009, 04:28 PM.
                    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

                    http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #11
                      Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                      SoonerCoug's 5 keys to not receiving a meaningful calling while keeping your temple recommend:

                      1) Never attend a Church activity
                      2) Don't do home teaching
                      3) Pay tithing in lump sum at end of year and don't attend tithing settlement. Have wife hand the envelope to the bishop.
                      4) Never talk to anyone at Church except for people who you're certain have no influence over the bishopric and would never be called to a bishopric.
                      5) Never ever confess any masturbatory activities

                      If no one knows anything about you, they're not going to give you a busy, burdensome calling like scoutmaster. The key is staying invisible.
                      you may want to reconsider #5 if your goal is to stay calling-free.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • SoonerCoug
                        Joycelyn Elders Supporter
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 4680

                        #12
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        you may want to reconsider #5 if your goal is to stay calling-free.
                        Wrong. If you confess, then they'll get you on the path to rehabilitation, which means you'll have to talk to them. Then they'll get to know you (i.e. you will no longer be invisible). Eventually, you'll want to start lying about your masturbatory activity to get them off your back, at which point they'll think you're rehabilitated. By then they'll know you well enough to feel comfortable giving you a calling.
                        That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

                        http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

                        Comment

                        • RobinFinderson
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10548

                          #13
                          Well you just aren't going to jerk your way off to 'prophet.' Maybe EQP, and maybe even Bishopric, if the priesthoods is thin in the area, but nothing above that.

                          Comment

                          • cowboy
                            Homer Weems
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 5740

                            #14
                            Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                            Preg testing the church's herd?

                            (Oh course I just assume they have a herd what with the preparedness and the food storage and and the end of the world and whatnot.)
                            The Church runs over 50,000 head on ranches all over the world - that might take a while...trying to get the damn things to pee on that little stick is nearly impossible.
                            sigpic
                            "Outlined against a blue, gray
                            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

                            Comment

                            • landpoke
                              Never once baby snatched
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 4183

                              #15
                              Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                              The Church runs over 50,000 head on ranches all over the world - that might take a while...trying to get the damn things to pee on that little stick is nearly impossible.
                              Maybe someone's trying to teach you the virtue of patience.
                              There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                              Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                              Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                              Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                              …
                              Tomorrow is Saturday
                              And Sunday comes afterwards

                              Comment

                              Working...