Dinosaurs?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69749

    #166
    Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
    You always get the maddest You are definitely one of the ones I'm referring to. I know I can't trade blows with you, but I'm smart enough to recognize when someone, even my superior, is just hanging onto a belief because he fucking likes it. It's not a matter of intelligence. It's a matter of preference. You like being Mormon. You don't care if it's true.
    "maddest"? That's funny.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • clackamascoug
      Banned
      • Dec 2009
      • 9709

      #167
      TWD is a dumpster diver.


      Last edited by clackamascoug; 12-12-2016, 01:35 PM.

      Comment

      • Walter Sobchak
        Adventurer
        • Oct 2009
        • 3815

        #168
        Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
        I'm asking him as an exmormon familiar with the teachings of Joseph Fielding Smith, who said that there was no death anywhere before the fall of Adam, that his fall was UNIVERSAL. I was curious, given Joseph Fielding Smith's teachings, how the idea of dead dinosaurs floating around in space still persists?
        I was cleaning out my office library the other day and stumbled on some book that was written by JFS, actually I think it was three of his books bound into one volume. I read a few exceprts here and there and then, thoroughly unimpressed, tossed it in the recycling bin. Symbolic? Can I still be Mormon please?
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

        Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

        Comment

        • taekwondave
          Junior Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 1160

          #169
          Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
          I was cleaning out my office library the other day and stumbled on some book that was written by JFS, actually I think it was three of his books bound into one volume. I read a few exceprts here and there and then, thoroughly unimpressed, tossed it in the recycling bin. Symbolic? Can I still be Mormon please?
          Ha I'm sure you can. But I mean...is the floating dino space debris theory really a huge improvement on the teachings of an actual former President of the Church?

          Comment

          • Walter Sobchak
            Adventurer
            • Oct 2009
            • 3815

            #170
            Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
            Ha I'm sure you can. But I mean...is the floating dino space debris theory really a huge improvement on the teachings of an actual former President of the Church?
            Help me source the dinosaur debris theory. I'm happy to throw away more Church books, just bought "Learning Python" and "Programming Python" and need to make some space.

            And by space, I mean how much effing space debris had to be combined to form "Learning Python", which tips the scales at 6 lbs and goes on for about 1600 pages?! Just sum the damn thing up in 250 pages a la the 1995 classic "Learning Perl"!!
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

            Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69749

              #171
              Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              Help me source the dinosaur debris theory. I'm happy to throw away more Church books, just bought "Learning Python" and "Programming Python" and need to make some space.

              And by space, I mean how much effing space debris had to be combined to form "Learning Python", which tips the scales at 6 lbs and goes on for about 1600 pages?! Just sum the damn thing up in 250 pages a la the 1995 classic "Learning Perl"!!
              In terms of brevity and impact, nothing can touch K&R.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Walter Sobchak
                Adventurer
                • Oct 2009
                • 3815

                #172
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                In terms of brevity and impact, nothing can touch K&R.
                You're not fooling anyone. I know you prefer "A Book on C" by Kelley/Pohl.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

                Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

                Comment

                • wuapinmon
                  Soul Plumber
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 30711

                  #173
                  Originally posted by taekwondave View Post

                  I come here because you're some of the most interesting, intelligent people I've ever talked with. Despite your belief in Gods, prophets, and unicorns.
                  Look, kid. I can take a lot of insults, but you will not insult our belief in unicorns. I once caught a glimpse of a bristling Moonbeam Zephyr near a riparian meadow. I know what I know.

                  "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                  The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                  Comment

                  • taekwondave
                    Junior Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 1160

                    #174
                    Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    Help me source the dinosaur debris theory.
                    I don't remember the name of the book but I think it was sandwiched between the chapters "Only take the sacrament with your right hand" and "Going to the canyon as a family on the sabbath is not holy."

                    Comment

                    • San Juan Sun
                      Kicked to the curb
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 9214

                      #175
                      Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
                      Well, because you're religious people. And some of your opinions are molded by what your religious leaders teach.
                      TKD, I am going to do a great service for you today: I am going to help you see why you are a dumbass.

                      You have a very superficial knowledge of what people on this forum think about religion. You would be surprised to know what these people actually think, who they actually are, etc. This is through no fault of your own, of course. But because you lack this context you have a bad habit of assuming some really bizarre and offensive things (like how we feel about dinosaur origins). And even worse, you have the tendency to view us monolithically, as if what one of use believe is shared by us all.

                      We understand that you don't like Mormonism. Many here actually agree with you. But you have a really condescending tone sometimes, and you clearly assume too much.

                      The good news is, being a dumbass is a reversible disease. I wish you well in treating it.
                      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                      - Ty Cobb

                      Comment

                      • Green Monstah
                        Royal Rooter
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 13981

                        #176
                        How bad would it suck to get your tail stuck in a giant tree's sap? Poor feathered fella. None of his options were appealing after being mired: 1. rip away by brute force; 2. gnaw (nod to Clack!) your own tail off and run free; 3. allow the g-force of being moved from one solar system to another to dissect your tail from your trunk.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                        "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69749

                          #177
                          Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                          You're not fooling anyone. I know you prefer "A Book on C" by Kelley/Pohl.
                          Still on the shelf, but probably hasn't been opened in at least 10 years.

                          I keep "C Programming Guide" by Purdham on the shelf just for this little gem in the index:

                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • snowcat
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 1348

                            #178
                            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            Look, kid. I can take a lot of insults, but you will not insult our belief in unicorns. I once caught a glimpse of a bristling Moonbeam Zephyr near a riparian meadow. I know what I know.

                            Nice shot. What shutter speed did you use on this?
                            One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

                            Woot

                            I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                            SU

                            Comment

                            • old_gregg
                              scaly man fish
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 16915

                              #179
                              Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                              How bad would it suck to get your tail stuck in a giant tree's sap? Poor feathered fella. None of his options were appealing after being mired: 1. rip away by brute force; 2. gnaw (nod to Clack!) your own tail off and run free; 3. allow the g-force of being moved from one solar system to another to dissect your tail from your trunk.
                              if i could gnaw my own tail i would never leave the house
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                              Comment

                              • falafel
                                loves to talk on things
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 38003

                                #180
                                Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                if i could gnaw my own tail i would never leave the house
                                Dude! 2 Corinthians 10:17.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                                Dig your own grave, and save!

                                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...