Beef. It's what's for dinner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
    For Christmas we are having a pretty good sized gathering. I’m doing two prime ribs and a porchetta roast. I want to try to up the flavor so I’m thinking of rubbing the prime rib lightly with salt and pepper in the morning of the 24th. The evening of the 24th to smoke them at 180 for about 60-90 minutes or until the internal temp reaches about 90 degrees. From there pull off the smoker and put into vacuum bags, add fresh rosemary, garlic, thyme and seal the bags and put in the refrigerator for the night. Sous vide early morning on the 25th at 129 degrees for 8 hours or so. Pull the roasts out of the bags, save the juices for the au jus, and sear off at 750 degrees on my cast iron outdoor griddle. I’ll add a little olive oil and more seasoning before searing. My goal is to get some smoky flavor while also getting the most tender and perfect 132 from edge to edge roast. I’ve done something similar with tri-tip in the past and it was pretty good. Doing it with roasts this size/price make me wonder if I’m making a huge mistake.

The porchetta I’m just going to roast in the smoker at 350 and then the last 45 minutes or so up it to 425 to really crisp up the outside fat. Making a white wine lemon butter sauce to go with it.
    Post pics, please!

A very kind friend of mine bought me a Snake River Farms wagyu brisket. Going to cook it on Christmas day. I am a little nervous.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Post pics, please!

A very kind friend of mine bought me a Snake River Farms wagyu brisket. Going to cook it on Christmas day. I am a little nervous.
      wow - that is a very kind friend. would be nerve racking to be sure, but it will be amazing. let us know how it turns out.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

wow - that is a very kind friend. would be nerve racking to be sure, but it will be amazing. let us know how it turns out.
        Better yet, give us directions to your mansion in Alpine, and the time for dinner!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Better yet, give us directions to your mansion in Alpine, and the time for dinner!
          What? You've never been to the Dude's Alpine mansion? You are missing out
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Our kids decided they want brisket for Christmas too. It isn't wagyu, but then again, I don't have a mansion in Alpine either. So...

But I am looking forward to the brisket.

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

Looking forward to both the tour of his mansion AND the waygu brisket!

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              Our kids decided they want brisket for Christmas too. It isn't wagyu, but then again, I don't have a mansion in Alpine either. So...

But I am looking forward to the brisket.
              Same.

Comment

• I have not yet been blessed (or blessed myself) with a smoker, but am a basic gas griller. The ChatGPT gave me the following instructions for brisket on my grill. Can anyone of you eexperienced beef connosuires confirm or deny whether this would work?

To cook brisket on a gas grill, you will need to follow these steps:
                1. Preheat the grill: Preheat your gas grill to 250-300 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on how long you plan to cook the brisket.
                2. Prepare the brisket: Trim any excess fat from the brisket and season it with your choice of spices, such as salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika.
                3. Place the brisket on the grill: Place the brisket on the grill grates, fat side up, and close the lid.
                4. Grill the brisket: Cook the brisket for about 1 hour per pound, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 190-200 degrees Fahrenheit. Flip the brisket every hour or so to ensure even cooking.
                5. Rest the brisket: Once the brisket is cooked, remove it from the grill and wrap it in foil. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                  I have not yet been blessed (or blessed myself) with a smoker, but am a basic gas griller. The ChatGPT gave me the following instructions for brisket on my grill. Can anyone of you eexperienced beef connosuires confirm or deny whether this would work?

To cook brisket on a gas grill, you will need to follow these steps:
                  1. Preheat the grill: Preheat your gas grill to 250-300 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on how long you plan to cook the brisket.
                  2. Prepare the brisket: Trim any excess fat from the brisket and season it with your choice of spices, such as salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika.
                  3. Place the brisket on the grill: Place the brisket on the grill grates, fat side up, and close the lid.
                  4. Grill the brisket: Cook the brisket for about 1 hour per pound, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 190-200 degrees Fahrenheit. Flip the brisket every hour or so to ensure even cooking.
                  5. Rest the brisket: Once the brisket is cooked, remove it from the grill and wrap it in foil. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
                  1 hour per lb at 250-300 degrees? No.

Also, fat side down.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

1 hour per lb at 250-300 degrees? No.

Also, fat side down.
                    Right. And no way I’d go over 225 with direct heat and something that fatty. I have no idea why anyone would grill a brisket. It would be much safer cooking in an oven with some liquid smoke.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• That's why I come here. To prevent mishap.
                      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• I too bought a brisket yesterday. I'm gonna put part of it in my InstantPot (or, "Insta-Pot" if you're my wife's family) for 120 minutes with a can of chicken stock, kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, and a sliced onion. It'll be perfect.
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Why chicken stock? I’ve never used chicken stock with beef in general or brisket specifically. I use beef bouillon on almost every brisket I make. Now I’m curious.
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                            Why chicken stock? I’ve never used chicken stock with beef in general or brisket specifically. I use beef bouillon on almost every brisket I make. Now I’m curious.
                            Because I was at the salvage grocery store in October and they had cans of Swanson chicken stock 5/$1.00, so I bought three cases. I look for any excuse to use one.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Ha. Fair enough. I’m sure it’ll be good. I’d just never considered it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X