Thanksgiving dishes okay NOT to make from scratch

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Katy Lied
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 9435

    #1

    Thanksgiving dishes okay NOT to make from scratch

    With the shopping creep, and the new movie releases, and my busy work schedule, I've had to take a stand and simply NOT make certain thanksgiving dishes from scratch. I'm using 2 rules to determine what I can get away with:

    1. Anything that fills the house with scrumptious and nostalgic smells has to be home made.
    2. Anything purchased that is pretty tasty can be purchased.

    With these 2 rules of thumb, here is what I will home make, and here is what I will buy:

    Make:
    Turkey
    All vegetable dishes: (Shrimp salad, Cauliflower with cheese, creamed spinach, green bean casserole, mashed potatos, roasted asparagus, sliced cucumbers with salty tango dressing, steamed broccoli)


    Buy:
    Desert pies (you can get pretty decent pies from Costco, and if you like these sorts, from Marie Calendars. However, there is only one Maries in the Salt Lake Valley and it is a madhouse on the day before thanksgiving.

    I know this will shock some of you, but despite the fact that baking bread smells lovely, I am considering buying pre made rolls (like Judy's Rolls or Sweet Hawaiian Rolls). It's just that if you only have one oven, the rolls really mess with your preparation schedule.

    What will you sacrifice on, and buy ready made from the store?
  • kccougar
    9262
    • Nov 2008
    • 7020

    #2
    It is probably unfair for me to post in this thread as I will be doing little, if any, of the cooking this year, but store-bought rolls or pies are very disappointing. I'd rather delay the shopping.

    For me, Thanksgiving dinner is about the following in order of importance:

    Mashed potatoes and gravy
    Cherry, Dutch Apple, French Silk Pie
    Homemade rolls
    Stuffing/Dressing

    It's okay to include some vegetables and I guess you have to have turkey if you want good gravy.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

    Comment

    • WashingtonCoug
      Monsters like me
      • Jan 2009
      • 1489

      #3
      We're going to my inlaws this year. They are clueless about cooking. I would rather eat store-bought everything than the crap they put in the table. My wife and I will have our own turkey dinner a week later and will make everything from scratch. I am thinking about store bought rolls. Usually we make them the night before. This year we're just too busy though.
      "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
      —Abraham Maslow

      Comment

      • Coach McGuirk
        1
        • Nov 2008
        • 12109

        #4
        Shirley's rolls are not disappointing.

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #5
          Rolls are a low priority to me so I agree they can come from the store.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #6
            Rule #1 seems to be at odds with buying a pie from the store. Pie is my favorite thing about dessert time. Pass on store bought pies although they taste fine.

            I am very anti-canned cranberries. Fresh cranberry sauce is delish.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • hostile
              lollygagger
              • Dec 2009
              • 5736

              #7
              We are hauling several pie crusts to No Cal for Thanksgiving. Additional pies to be made on site. Dinner will be with my wife's sister. Her husband is a great cook and most items will be homemade.
              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

              "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

              Comment

              • The_Douger
                Athletic Supporter
                • Jun 2012
                • 5413

                #8
                I like the congealed cranberries from the can.

                Yes, I know it's wrong.
                Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                Comment

                • FN Phat
                  I ♥ gateway sex
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 8691

                  #9
                  Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                  I like the congealed cranberries from the can.

                  Yes, I know it's wrong.
                  I'm your huckleberry.


                  "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #10
                    Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                    I like the congealed cranberries from the can.

                    Yes, I know it's wrong.
                    Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                    Disgusting. Demand the real thing. You won't regret it.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • San Juan Sun
                      Kicked to the curb
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 9214

                      #11
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      Disgusting. Demand the real thing. You won't regret it.
                      Super easy to make at home too. I grew up on the canned stuff, but I've graduated to the real thing.
                      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                      - Ty Cobb

                      Comment

                      • thesaint258
                        aka Benito Hazard
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 3005

                        #12
                        I've been incredibly spoiled. My family makes pretty much everything from scratch, and they're really good at cooking. Needless to say, I really enjoy Thanksgiving.
                        Not that, sickos.

                        Comment

                        • The_Douger
                          Athletic Supporter
                          • Jun 2012
                          • 5413

                          #13
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Disgusting. Demand the real thing. You won't regret it.
                          I didn't say I don't like the real thing.
                          Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                          Comment

                          • MartyFunkhouser
                            Disciple of RNGesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 18747

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                            With the shopping creep, and the new movie releases, and my busy work schedule, I've had to take a stand and simply NOT make certain thanksgiving dishes from scratch. I'm using 2 rules to determine what I can get away with:

                            1. Anything that fills the house with scrumptious and nostalgic smells has to be home made.
                            2. Anything purchased that is pretty tasty can be purchased.

                            With these 2 rules of thumb, here is what I will home make, and here is what I will buy:

                            Make:
                            Turkey
                            All vegetable dishes: (Shrimp salad, Cauliflower with cheese, creamed spinach, green bean casserole, mashed potatos, roasted asparagus, sliced cucumbers with salty tango dressing, steamed broccoli)


                            Buy:
                            Desert pies (you can get pretty decent pies from Costco, and if you like these sorts, from Marie Calendars. However, there is only one Maries in the Salt Lake Valley and it is a madhouse on the day before thanksgiving.

                            I know this will shock some of you, but despite the fact that baking bread smells lovely, I am considering buying pre made rolls (like Judy's Rolls or Sweet Hawaiian Rolls). It's just that if you only have one oven, the rolls really mess with your preparation schedule.

                            What will you sacrifice on, and buy ready made from the store?
                            You can order pies and from Gourmandise in slc. That is what I would do if buying.

                            Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

                            Comment

                            • marsupial
                              Mississippi Queen
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 3678

                              #15
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Disgusting. Demand the real thing. You won't regret it.
                              I make mine from scratch. I love it the next day on a turkey sandwich.
                              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                              -Teenage Dirtbag

                              Comment

                              Working...