No announcement yet.

The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best sandwich I've had in a long time. One slice of bread with a smoked garlic and herb butter compound that I made and the other with a thin layer of horseradish. Leftover tri-tip in between. Heaven.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Used Spade L ranch rub and smoked with Oak to 135 and then reverse seared. Came out medium, which is what my family wants. Very good, but the Spade L was lacking. In fact, I think I’ve gotten to the point that anything other than salt, pepper, and garlic powder (maybe onion powder as well) is just inferior when it comes to beef. I’ve gone totally salt/pepper on brisket and salt/pepper/garlic/onion on steak and burgers. Time to do it for all beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• The Official Tri-Tip thread

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Used Spade L ranch rub and smoked with Oak to 135 and then reverse seared. Came out medium, which is what my family wants. Very good, but the Spade L was lacking. In fact, I think I’ve gotten to the point that anything other than salt, pepper, and garlic powder (maybe onion powder as well) is just inferior when it comes to beef. I’ve gone totally salt/pepper on brisket and salt/pepper/garlic/onion on steak and burgers. Time to do it for all beef.
        Looks medium well to me; no amount of Spade L or Salt/Pepper/Garlic can help that.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• I've never really read this thread, because stores around here don't carry it, but I visited a butcher shop today and they had some, so looks like I will try it out tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
            I've never really read this thread, because stores around here don't carry it, but I visited a butcher shop today and they had some, so looks like I will try it out tomorrow.
            Good luck. It's delicious.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Just pulled this tri-tip out of the smoker:

IMG_0096.jpg
              Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Just pulled this tri-tip out of the smoker:

[ATTACH]10458[/ATTACH]
                Yum.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• First try at tri tip over the weekend. Pretty pretty good - maybe a touch more done than I initially wanted. There's only two of us at home now, but these suckers come in two packs at Costco - so what's a guy supposed to do? Smoked them both. Sliced one for dinner Sunday. Threw the other in a bag and vacuum sealed it - maybe not ideal, but I'm going to warm it sous vide style and slice it Sunday to throw in with the Super Bowl eats.

Tri tip.jpg

Comment

• Smaller one, all sliced up.

Tri tip sliced.jpg

Comment

• I heart beef.

Comment

• I didn't realize this thread existed before I posted my tri tip thoughts. Apologies.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          I didn't realize this thread existed before I posted my tri tip thoughts. Apologies.
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I smoked tri tip for Easter dinner, but I tried something new that I've been seeing on YouTube a lot. I smoke it brisket style. Smoked it to 160° and then wrapped it in butcher paper and took it off at about 202° and then let it rest for a while. It came out pull-apart tender and was delicious. Probably the best tri tip I've ever smoked (I still love sous vide and then sear the hell out of it). One caveat is that if you cook it brisket style, you probably only want to do it with prime. You need the fat.
                            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Working...
                            X