No announcement yet.

The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought two tri-tips today. They will be for Super Bowl Sunday. I've never done tri-tip before and am wondering about approximate smoking time. I'm wanting to eat around 6pm and likely won't be home from church any earlier than 4:30. The tri-tips are each about 3 lbs a piece. I'm wondering if 1.5 hours will do for total cook time (including smoking, searing, resting). I'm shooting for medium-rare on one and medium on the other.

If I can't get the timing to work on the tri-tip, I may have to go with babybacks and just come home during 2nd hour of church to foil them up. It's too bad I can't skip part of 3rd hour since i have to teach
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      I bought two tri-tips today. They will be for Super Bowl Sunday. I've never done tri-tip before and am wondering about approximate smoking time. I'm wanting to eat around 6pm and likely won't be home from church any earlier than 4:30. The tri-tips are each about 3 lbs a piece. I'm wondering if 1.5 hours will do for total cook time (including smoking, searing, resting). I'm shooting for medium-rare on one and medium on the other.

If I can't get the timing to work on the tri-tip, I may have to go with babybacks and just come home during 2nd hour of church to foil them up. It's too bad I can't skip part of 3rd hour since i have to teach
      1.5 might be enough time, but you are cutting it awfully close.

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
        1.5 might be enough time, but you are cutting it awfully close.
        That's what I thought. My problem is I have to be at church from 3-4pm, so even ribs might be tough since I usually cook them in foil for 2 hours after smoking them. Ugh! I might just have to come home during 2nd hour to start the smoker. Then have the family put the tri-tips on the smoker right when they get home. The smoker would be at the right temp and I could even pull them from the fridge when I start the smoker. Leaving them out for an hour woulnd't be horrible and they'd even come up a bit in temp from their fridge temp. The family can probably be home by 4:15 if they hurry. Then I'd probably be good and maybe even early on the medium rare piece.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          I bought two tri-tips today. They will be for Super Bowl Sunday. I've never done tri-tip before and am wondering about approximate smoking time. I'm wanting to eat around 6pm and likely won't be home from church any earlier than 4:30. The tri-tips are each about 3 lbs a piece. I'm wondering if 1.5 hours will do for total cook time (including smoking, searing, resting). I'm shooting for medium-rare on one and medium on the other.

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          That's what I thought. My problem is I have to be at church from 3-4pm, so even ribs might be tough since I usually cook them in foil for 2 hours after smoking them. Ugh! I might just have to come home during 2nd hour to start the smoker. Then have the family put the tri-tips on the smoker right when they get home. The smoker would be at the right temp and I could even pull them from the fridge when I start the smoker. Leaving them out for an hour woulnd't be horrible and they'd even come up a bit in temp from their fridge temp. The family can probably be home by 4:15 if they hurry. Then I'd probably be good and maybe even early on the medium rare piece.
          Did you get the two-pack from Costco? I think Triplet recommended cooking them at 225 until you get to 130 degrees internal temp, then reverse searing on a hot grill for a minute on each side, and then resting the meat for 20-30 minutes. If that's the method you're going with, then I would expect it to take about 2 hours total.

I actually prefer smoking them at 185 - seems a little more tender to me - but it does take more time. I'll usually get Costco's cryopack of 10 or so tri-tip roasts and freeze most of them. Cooking from frozen at 185 takes quite a bit longer than 2 hours, but the smoke flavor is supposed to adhere more (if Meathead from amazingribs.com can be believed).
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            Did you get the two-pack from Costco? I think Triplet recommended cooking them at 225 until you get to 130 degrees internal temp, then reverse searing on a hot grill for a minute on each side, and then resting the meat for 20-30 minutes. If that's the method you're going with, then I would expect it to take about 2 hours total.

I actually prefer smoking them at 185 - seems a little more tender to me - but it does take more time. I'll usually get Costco's cryopack of 10 or so tri-tip roasts and freeze most of them. Cooking from frozen at 185 takes quite a bit longer than 2 hours, but the smoke flavor is supposed to adhere more (if Meathead from amazingribs.com can be believed).
            You don't need to rest steaks before serving.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              You don't need to rest steaks before serving.
              Meathead did say that there's not much benefit to resting steaks, but that there is for larger cuts of meat.

While tri-tip roasts are not particularly big, I still tend to rest them for 15-20 minutes covered (not wrapped) with foil.

Edit: I misremembered Meathead's words:

Holding meat: An important exception not the same as resting meat

Let's define our terms:

Resting is the term for letting hot meat cooked to normal temperatures cool as discussed above. Typically these are meats cooked to 165°F or below.

Holding is the technique of letting meat cooked well past well done stay warm for a while after cooking. Typically these are meats cooked in the 195 to 205°F range, like beef brisket, pork butt, and ribs.
              http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ting_meat.html

Apparently he discourages resting meats cooked to 165 or less even if they are larger cuts:

What about roasts and large cuts?

Because a beef rib roast, pork loin, or turkey breast can be so much thicker than a steak, when you slice them there is much more surface area to leak juice. So the amount of juice exuded from a roast can be significant and look alarming.

Will more liquid flow without resting? Blonder says "no". By slicing right away I get to serve perfectly cooked hot meat. I collect the juices from the cutting board and I pour them over the meat on the serving platter. Most of the juices are re-absorbed. Or I make a board sauce (especially on leg of lamb). This is a great way to use the juices and add some excitement. Trust me, I never serve improperly cooked or dry roasts.

I have even built a cutting board with a slot to collect juices. There's a similar one on Amazon.com, a real beauty, the John Boos Newton Prep Master Reversible 18" Square Cutting Board with Juice Groove and Pan shown here.

The best reason Blonder sees for resting a big roast like a prime rib is that it stiffens slightly and is easier to carve. But I want my meat limp and compliant. A sharp knife solves any cutting issues.
              And he specifically argues against my use of a foil tent:

Foil makes it worse

A loose tent of foil is often suggested during resting. Not only does it not help, it hurts! It does prevent a little heat from escaping, but not much. Foil is a lousy insulator. If you take a dish from the oven that has cooked under foil, in seconds that foil is cool enough to handle. The problem with foil is it traps steam which softens crust and can turn crackly poultry skin to rubber in minutes. And never wrap meat tightly in foil. Juices really come gushing out then.
              Last edited by Pelado; 02-03-2017, 04:44 PM.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• haven't cooked a tri tip in about two years - what are some of y'alls favorite rubs? salt and pepper okay? and it sounds like the reverse sear is the consensus best practice around here?
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Spade L Ranch rub is amazing on tri tips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                  "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

• Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                    Spade L Ranch rub is amazing on tri tips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                    thanks. i have some spade l, so will probably put that on one of them. if i don't get any more suggestions, i may just go salt, pepper, garlic powder on the other
                    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 03-05-2017, 02:42 PM.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      thanks. i have some spade l, so will probably put that on one of them. if i don't get any more suggestions, i may just go salt, pepper, garlic powder on the other
                      That mix sounds good to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        That's my go-to mix for anything beef. One part kosher salt, one part ground pepper, and somewhere around a half part granulated garlic, with maybe a sprinkling of onion powder. I like garlic and onion more than others in my family so I scale back a bit on the latter two out of consideration for them. For tri-tip I might be tempted to try a shake of paprika or cayenne too.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          That's my go-to mix for anything beef. One part kosher salt, one part ground pepper, and somewhere around a half part granulated garlic, with maybe a sprinkling of onion powder. I like garlic and onion more than others in my family so I scale back a bit on the latter two out of consideration for them. For tri-tip I might be tempted to try a shake of paprika or cayenne too.
                          All the things that he said, those are my favorite things too!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Surfah uses one of those pellet smokers that GM likes to mock.
                            hi

Comment

• Originally posted by bestellen View Post
                              Surfah uses one of those pellet smokers that GM likes to mock.
                              GM is mean like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by bestellen View Post
                                Surfah uses one of those pellet smokers that GM likes to mock.
                                How would you feel if you were in his shoes?
                                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...
                                X