The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigPiney
    Huge Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12382

    #991
    Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
    Are you getting consistent shrink?
    I went swimming in Lake Tahoe on Saturday. I got consistent shrink.

    Comment

    • Bo Diddley
      Senior
      • Jul 2012
      • 18814

      #992
      Took the day off and smoked another pork butt. We bought the Costco 2-pack, smoked one, and froze the other. The roast has the bone taken out, and the roast is cut nearly in half diagonally as a result. I used bamboo skewers to hold it all together while it cooked. This one, about 7.5 pounds, cooked in 8:45 (6 hours @ 220 High Smoke, and 2:45 pan foiled @ 225).

      I think I need to cook another brisket now.

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #993
        Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        Took the day off and smoked another pork butt. We bought the Costco 2-pack, smoked one, and froze the other. The roast has the bone taken out, and the roast is cut nearly in half diagonally as a result. I used bamboo skewers to hold it all together while it cooked. This one, about 7.5 pounds, cooked in 8:45 (6 hours @ 220 High Smoke, and 2:45 pan foiled @ 225).

        I think I need to cook another brisket now.
        Next time smoke both. Cuts down on fuel and time. Vacuum seal what you don't eat and freeze it. Just boil water and drop the vacuum sealed bag in to reheat. That way you can have pulled pork in minutes when you want instead of hours. It will still taste great.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • Bo Diddley
          Senior
          • Jul 2012
          • 18814

          #994
          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Next time smoke both. Cuts down on fuel and time. Vacuum seal what you don't eat and freeze it. Just boil water and drop the vacuum sealed bag in to reheat. That way you can have pulled pork in minutes when you want instead of hours. It will still taste great.
          You're absolutely right. I still need to get a vacuum sealer, but it's a no brainier. Good call.

          Comment

          • The_Tick
            Made something of myself
            • Nov 2008
            • 7297

            #995
            Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            You're absolutely right. I still need to get a vacuum sealer, but it's a no brainier. Good call.
            And get yourself a Sam's Club card and buy your butts there. They leave the bone in...and I think it provides a better cook overall.

            I good shards of bone when I use the Costco butts.

            Comment

            • smokymountainrain
              Impressive Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22593

              #996
              Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              I went swimming in Lake Tahoe on Saturday. I got consistent shrink.
              this deserves to be acknowledged.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69749

                #997
                Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                And get yourself a Sam's Club card and buy your butts there. They leave the bone in...and I think it provides a better cook overall.

                I good shards of bone when I use the Costco butts.
                I have no idea why Costco removes the bone. So stupid.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • The_Tick
                  Made something of myself
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7297

                  #998
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I have no idea why Costco removes the bone. So stupid.
                  Yeah. It's super dumb. I think that maybe they think it helps it cook faster?

                  All I know is that when I use them...I take great time when I shred them to pick through to find any bone pieces. Major pain in the ass.

                  Comment

                  • All-American
                    Right, as Usual
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 15680

                    #999
                    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    Next time smoke both. Cuts down on fuel and time. Vacuum seal what you don't eat and freeze it. Just boil water and drop the vacuum sealed bag in to reheat. That way you can have pulled pork in minutes when you want instead of hours. It will still taste great.
                    Leftover pulled pork is awesome. Tasty, and lots of great ways to use it. We'll put smoked pork in the dinner rotation sometimes just to make sure we have a healthy stash of leftovers.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                    Comment

                    • kccougar
                      9262
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7020

                      #1000
                      I've never cooked such small roasts. I've got two 3.5-lb butts to cook. Bone in, I think. Any idea how long these will take to smoke?
                      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                      Comment

                      • Bo Diddley
                        Senior
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 18814

                        #1001
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Cook, pull, vacuum seal. Then boil in the bag and serve.
                        Do you hold before the vacuum packaging? I may be cooking a bunch in the near future.

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69749

                          #1002
                          Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                          Do you hold before the vacuum packaging? I may be cooking a bunch in the near future.
                          Yes. Typically.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Bo Diddley
                            Senior
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 18814

                            #1003
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I am your man! We feed 211 people (plus leaders) twice last year. Huge success both times.

                            I cooked 14 pork butts. Buy them at Sam's Club and ask for the case price. Once you buy more than 6-7 you get the case price - for us that ended up being ~$1/lb. Total cost $100-110.

                            I also made a couple of batches of my rub recipe. And a 5x batch of DT's baked beans.

                            Do you have a big smoker? That filled up both my stumps (12 butts) and my traeger (2 butts).
                            We feed dinner to the Wednesday night Institute classes every week (about 100-120). Our Stake is responsible for one one each month, and I'm considering smoking pork butts. It's a shoestring budget ($200) but that's loose enough that we can go over as needed. What all did you serve to make the meal?

                            I was thinking sandwiches with coleslaw and chips. We always serve water.

                            Comment

                            • Bo Diddley
                              Senior
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 18814

                              #1004
                              Placed a 10.8# pork butt it in the smoker right before going to bed and let it smoke for 8 hours. It's finishing in the oven in a foiled pan right now. I love the way the house smells.

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69749

                                #1005
                                Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                Placed a 10.8# pork butt it in the smoker right before going to bed and let it smoke for 8 hours. It's finishing in the oven in a foiled pan right now. I love the way the house smells.
                                That is the way the celestial kingdom is going to smell.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...