No announcement yet.

The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making my first pork butt tonight for extended family dinner tomorrow. Followed the dude's instructions and rub with a small twist. Did the smoke part on my gas grill (I'm cheap and its all I have) and then transferred to the oven to finish. It will likely reach temp earlier than I'd like so I'll be pushing the 6 hours of resting. 20230721_185200.jpg Freshly ribbed and wrapped last night.
    20230722_151515.jpg Placement on grill at beginning. Only one burner was on low at the left side and I used the probe seen in the middle to keep temp OK. It was 115 when I put it in the oven. Sitting 176 right now. Got the oven at 205 trying to time the resting with getting up for choir.
    Last edited by Copelius; 07-22-2023, 10:21 PM.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Well that's a different of way of doing things. Did it put out a good amount of smoke? I wouldn't worry about the resting time too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
        Making my first pork butt tonight for extended family dinner tomorrow. Followed the dude's instructions and rub with a small twist. Did the smoke part on my gas grill (I'm cheap and its all I have) and then transferred to the oven to finish. It will likely reach temp earlier than I'd like so I'll be pushing the 6 hours of resting. 20230721_185200.jpg Freshly ribbed and wrapped last night.
        20230722_151515.jpg Placement on grill at beginning. Only one burner was on low at the left side and I used the probe seen in the middle to keep temp OK. It was 115 when I put it in the oven. Sitting 176 right now. Got the oven at 205 trying to time the resting with getting up for choir.
        You can rest well beyond 6 hrs if you need to. Don't sweat it.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• 20230723_140614.jpg

Turned out terrific. Only regret is not doing 2. I don't have a frame of reference as to whether or not the smoke was sufficient. I could definitely smell the wood as it was on the grill.
          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Yay! Time to buy a real smoker.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

20230723_140614.jpg

Turned out terrific. Only regret is not doing 2. I don't have a frame of reference as to whether or not the smoke was sufficient. I could definitely smell the wood as it was on the grill.
              Nice!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Yay! Time to buy a real smoker.
                Remember, I'm cheap, and the wife is even moreso.

Comment

Same here. I bought mine while my wife was out of state. She likes it now.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Same here. I bought mine while my wife was out of state. She likes it now.
                    Getting it to work so well with the grill may have put a nail in my smoker coffin. I can hear it now, "You don't need a smoker when you did so well with the grill." RIght now is not the best time to be trying to get a smoker anyhow. Just replaced my roof and HVAC at the end of June. Our wallet is a bit thin after those outlays.

Comment

20230723_140614.jpg

If this is your first time doing pulled pork, I would suggest putting some aside for carnitas.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

I'm willing to part with my 10 year old Traeger for dirt cheap. You'd have to come pick it up though.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

I'm willing to part with my 10 year old Traeger for dirt cheap. You'd have to come pick it up though.
                          he'll meet you in Boise. he'll pay for your gas and take you to lunch. i can't make any promises about wear and tear on your vehicle.
                          Last edited by smokymountainrain; 07-25-2023, 11:35 AM.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

he'll meet you in Boise. he'll pay for your gas and take you to lunch. i can't make any promises about wear and tear on your vehicle.
                            Actually, they should meet up at Chez Pelado in Meridian.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                            X