The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #856
    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    wuap - Looks great. Have you dropped some weight?
    Un poquitico. I've mostly been focusing on eating healthier (except today) and portion control, rather than any kind of regimented diet. I've been on a diet my whole life. They don't work for me.
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21144

      #857
      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      Un poquitico. I've mostly been focusing on eating healthier (except today) and portion control, rather than any kind of regimented diet. I've been on a diet my whole life. They don't work for me.
      Keep it up.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69723

        #858
        Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        wuap - Looks great. Have you dropped some weight?

        As for my first pork smoke, I made some mistakes but everyone still liked it. Everyone went back for seconds, most went back for thirds.

        I used some of the leftovers in a batch of chili that I made for the EQ dinner/competition. The chili won first place on the strength of the pulled pork (and that it wasn't overly sweet or spicy like most of the other entrants).
        Way to go, Pelado. Pulled pork is awesome.

        A couple more tips: When you pull it, try to leave it in chunks rather than shred it. Shredded pork tends to dry out and oxidize faster. I also reserve some of the juice from the pan and pour it over the pulled pork before serving. As the meat cools it reabsorbs juice. In the big cook I did last week, I poured 3 full cups of juice in each pan and every bit was soaked up by the time the meat was gone. Probably could have used 4 cups. That is 3.5 butts per pan, so 1 C per butt is a good rule of thumb.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • wuapinmon
          Soul Plumber
          • Dec 2008
          • 30711

          #859
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Way to go, Pelado. Pulled pork is awesome.

          A couple more tips: When you pull it, try to leave it in chunks rather than shred it. Shredded pork tends to dry out and oxidize faster. I also reserve some of the juice from the pan and pour it over the pulled pork before serving. As the meat cools it reabsorbs juice. In the big cook I did last week, I poured 3 full cups of juice in each pan and every bit was soaked up by the time the meat was gone. Probably could have used 4 cups. That is 3.5 butts per pan, so 1 C per butt is a good rule of thumb.
          How do you avoid over-salting the meat? My drippings are usually really really salt from the concentration of the rub.
          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69723

            #860
            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            How do you avoid over-salting the meat? My drippings are usually really really salt from the concentration of the rub.
            Either a different kind of rub or less rub, I suppose. In fact, I add a little extra rub to the chunks and toss them after pulling. I learned that from somebody on BBQ Pitmasters. Distributes the flavor more evenly.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21144

              #861
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Way to go, Pelado. Pulled pork is awesome.

              A couple more tips: When you pull it, try to leave it in chunks rather than shred it. Shredded pork tends to dry out and oxidize faster. I also reserve some of the juice from the pan and pour it over the pulled pork before serving. As the meat cools it reabsorbs juice. In the big cook I did last week, I poured 3 full cups of juice in each pan and every bit was soaked up by the time the meat was gone. Probably could have used 4 cups. That is 3.5 butts per pan, so 1 C per butt is a good rule of thumb.
              Yeah, I was trying to go more for chunks instead of shreds, but I was having some issues with execution with the new bear claws. Couldn't seem to get that happy medium between shreds and huge chunks.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37992

                #862
                I'll be most of this food tastes great, but I'll be honest - none of the pictures look at all appetizing. Take wuap's photo, for example. Looks like ABC pork.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • old_gregg
                  scaly man fish
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 16915

                  #863
                  Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  I'll be most of this food tastes great, but I'll be honest - none of the pictures look at all appetizing. Take wuap's photo, for example. Looks like ABC pork.
                  his kebabs look good
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69723

                    #864
                    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    Yeah, I was trying to go more for chunks instead of shreds, but I was having some issues with execution with the new bear claws. Couldn't seem to get that happy medium between shreds and huge chunks.
                    Well, there's your problem. Throw those bear claws away. I use a pair of tongs and a big chopping knife and a cutting board. You could maybe use your bear claws to lift a roast in and out of something, but I wouldn't even use them for that because that will poke holes in your meat allowing the juices to drain.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Pelado
                      Bald not naked
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 21144

                      #865
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Well, there's your problem. Throw those bear claws away. I use a pair of tongs and a big chopping knife and a cutting board. You could maybe use your bear claws to lift a roast in and out of something, but I wouldn't even use them for that because that will poke holes in your meat allowing the juices to drain.
                      So their only use is in assisting me as I pretend to be Wolverine?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69723

                        #866
                        Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        So their only use is in assisting me as I pretend to be Wolverine?
                        Yes! But you should keep them for Halloween.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #867
                          Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          I'll be most of this food tastes great, but I'll be honest - none of the pictures look at all appetizing. Take wuap's photo, for example. Looks like ABC pork.

                          Yeah, it wasn't smoked, only roasted, so no pretty ring. But, flavor-wise, I come correct.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • Pelado
                            Bald not naked
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 21144

                            #868
                            Smoked pulled pork, take 2:







                            The local Oakridge supplier was out of Secret Weapon, so I'm trying out Dominator Sweet Rib Rub on one and Competition Beef and Pork Rub on the other.

                            Put them on the Traeger at 11 pm. Plan to foil in the early morning. Plan to eat around game time.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

                            Comment

                            • Pelado
                              Bald not naked
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 21144

                              #869
                              Just foiled at 5:30. They're sitting at 165.

                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              • Joe Public
                                8.1 YPC
                                • Apr 2011
                                • 8531

                                #870
                                Atta boy.
                                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                                "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                                Comment

                                Working...