Amazing Store-Bought Tortillas

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #1

    Amazing Store-Bought Tortillas

    So, the tiny Hispanic grocery store in my town had these tortillas I had never seen before in their cooler, and it was only $3 for a pack of 36. We were going to make tacos for my birthday, so I decided to spring for some instead of just getting Mission ones at Wal-Mart. Mission aren't bad, but they're not big on flavor.

    Well, the moment I opened the cooler door, I knew they would be good. Pay attention, MarkGrace. These tortillas stink. And, I mean stink. They smell just like Mexico. When you're in Mexico, in neighborhoods, especially Mayan ones, the overwhelming stench of corn meal invades everything; you can't really escape it. Corn treated with lime (cal) produces a peculiar odor that does not highly offend the olfactory nerve, but carries these hints of mildew that make you stop for a second when you first smell it. However, thoroughly-rinsed lime-treated corn tastes better, and it unlocks the nutrients in the corn so that you don't actually starve to death eating corn as 1/3 of your dietary calories.

    The brand of tortillas is called El Milagro. Here's a link:


    Now, I'm a five hour drive from Chamblee, Georgia, and we have them here. So, given their locations in Chicago and Austin and Georgia, it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility for these babies to be found in Charlotte, Houston, St. Louis, etc. If you eat tortillas on a regular basis, and don't have access to good ones, these babies will scratch that itch. They actually taste BETTER than ones you can make at home with tortilla flour (e.g. Maseca), unless you grind the corn yourself. Whatever corn variety they use is just popping with flavor.

    Best tortillas I've ever had in the United States. No doubt about it.
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
  • MarkGrace
    Grooveshark dick tease
    • Dec 2008
    • 31546

    #2
    Can you please mail some to me? TIA.

    Your description of the smell of corn tortillas sure brought back memories.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

    Comment

    • Flystripper
      Degenerate Gambler
      • Nov 2008
      • 14095

      #3
      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      So, the tiny Hispanic grocery store in my town had these tortillas I had never seen before in their cooler, and it was only $3 for a pack of 36. We were going to make tacos for my birthday, so I decided to spring for some instead of just getting Mission ones at Wal-Mart. Mission aren't bad, but they're not big on flavor.

      Well, the moment I opened the cooler door, I knew they would be good. Pay attention, MarkGrace. These tortillas stink. And, I mean stink. They smell just like Mexico. When you're in Mexico, in neighborhoods, especially Mayan ones, the overwhelming stench of corn meal invades everything; you can't really escape it. Corn treated with lime (cal) produces a peculiar odor that does not highly offend the olfactory nerve, but carries these hints of mildew that make you stop for a second when you first smell it. However, thoroughly-rinsed lime-treated corn tastes better, and it unlocks the nutrients in the corn so that you don't actually starve to death eating corn as 1/3 of your dietary calories.

      The brand of tortillas is called El Milagro. Here's a link:


      Now, I'm a five hour drive from Chamblee, Georgia, and we have them here. So, given their locations in Chicago and Austin and Georgia, it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility for these babies to be found in Charlotte, Houston, St. Louis, etc. If you eat tortillas on a regular basis, and don't have access to good ones, these babies will scratch that itch. They actually taste BETTER than ones you can make at home with tortilla flour (e.g. Maseca), unless you grind the corn yourself. Whatever corn variety they use is just popping with flavor.

      Best tortillas I've ever had in the United States. No doubt about it.
      Thank you waup I will look for these.
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #4
        Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        Can you please mail some to me? TIA.

        Your description of the smell of corn tortillas sure brought back memories.
        PM me your address. They're supposed to be kept refrigerated "after purchase," but with the cold snap, it might work.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • clackamascoug
          Banned
          • Dec 2009
          • 9709

          #5
          Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Can you please mail some to me? TIA.

          Your description of the smell of corn tortillas sure brought back memories.
          I'll take two packs as well.

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #6
            Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
            I'll take two packs as well.
            If you're serious, PM me. I can't send them to everyone for free, but if you want some, and are willing to pay the costs, I'll ship them, with no markup.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • Drunk Tank
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 2569

              #7
              We have 2 hispanic markets that make fresh corn tortillas. They are awesome. They are still warm in the package when you buy them.
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #8
                Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                We have 2 hispanic markets that make fresh corn tortillas. They are awesome. They are still warm in the package when you buy them.
                California most definitely has a leg up on the rest of us when it comes to tortilla making.
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • clackamascoug
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 9709

                  #9
                  Not to threadjack, but I heard a good tortilla story today.

                  My son has a friend named Hector, whom we've been friendly with since grade school. Hector is a great young man, 4.0 student, and was Student Body President his senior year of high school. Hector is enrolled at Portland State, and has been getting good grades as he works his way to a business degree. Hec, is such a go getter that the sky is the limit for him. Last week Hec was arrested by the INS. Turns out his parents came across the border when he was 2 months old, and used a fake social security number for him. He had no idea that he was not a naturalized citizen, and that his Soc Sec number was fake. He was deported to Mexico, and doesn't know what to do. Poor kid, he's really what America is all about - except for the being born here part.

                  Hector likes good tortillas too.
                  Last edited by clackamascoug; 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM.

                  Comment

                  • YOhio
                    Hipster Mode
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26165

                    #10
                    Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    Not to threadjack, but I heard a good tortilla story today.
                    Yeah, that's pretty much the worst tortilla story I've ever heard. I feel awful for that poor kid.

                    Comment

                    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                      Time to camp
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26082

                      #11
                      I think throwing tortillas needs to return to BYU. That was an original football tradition that was around long before the BCS and dreams of the Fiesta Bowl. It always bothered me that Dave Fox was able to convince people it had something to do with BCS dreams and got the school to squash it.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

                      Comment

                      • wuapinmon
                        Soul Plumber
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 30711

                        #12
                        Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        Not to threadjack, but I heard a good tortilla story today.

                        My son has a friend named Hector, whom we've been friendly with since grade school. Hector is a great young man, 4.0 student, and was Student Body President his senior year of high school. Hector is enrolled at Portland State, and has been getting good grades as he works his way to a business degree. Hec, is such a go getter that the sky is the limit for him. Last week Hec was arrested by the INS. Turns out his parents came across the border when he was 2 months old, and used a fake social security number for him. He had no idea that he was not a naturalized citizen, and that his Soc Sec number was fake. He was deported to Mexico, and doesn't know what to do. Poor kid, he's really what America is all about - except for the being born here part.

                        Hector likes good tortillas too.
                        Worst.Tortilla.Story.Ever

                        Does Hector even speak Spanish?
                        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #13
                          I found some El Milagro tortillas at the Compare Foods in Monroe, NC this morning. For all my Charlotte-area carnales, I bet the one on Arrowwood Road by the Lynx line (South Blvd) will have them too. Check the refrigerated section.

                          So, so good.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • Parrot Head
                            Operation Hot Mother
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 2322

                            #14
                            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            I found some El Milagro tortillas at the Compare Foods in Monroe, NC this morning. For all my Charlotte-area carnales, I bet the one on Arrowwood Road by the Lynx line (South Blvd) will have them too. Check the refrigerated section.

                            So, so good.
                            Whenever I take the light rail I see that shopping center and think that I really need to drop by there. A few months back we got a flyer in the mail from Compare and they had some awesome food in there. I'm determined to head over there soon.
                            I have nothing else to say at this time.

                            Comment

                            • MarkGrace
                              Grooveshark dick tease
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 31546

                              #15
                              Carnales...there's a word I haven't heard in a while.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                              Comment

                              Working...