Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    WSM's are great. If you decide to get one instead of a Traeger, i'd get the the 22.5" one. If you get a Traeger, get the Texas. Bigger is always better.
    Texas is way outside my price range, so that's out....

Comparing what's left:
    1) What can you do on a smaller Traeger that you can't do on a WSM with a temp control system? I imagine the Traeger will work a little more smoothly, but from what I'm reading, the auber thing you linked works pretty well, and some say you don't even need that. I'm a light sleeper who gets up a few times in the night anyway, so checking it on a few times on an overnight cook isn't a big deal to me. But are there things you can cook in a Traeger that you can't in a weber?
    2) similarly, why the 22.5? Are there things I can't fit in a 18.5? I doubt I'll ever be cooking for more than 10 or so, like you pros. This is more just for fun, and adding an extra $100 just makes this a tougher purchase to sell to my wife, who isn't the biggest barbecue fan anyway. Moliere mentioned somewhere about not being able to fit a brisket? Really?
    3) cleanup on the wsm? Lebowski says the traeger is really easy--how does the wsm compare?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ERCougar; 06-10-2013, 10:12 AM.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Weber Smokey Mountain

2/3rd of your name. It is Kismet. You two were made for each other!
      And how! Thanks for the info (to you too, sccoug). I may have to look into that.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post

Comparing what's left:
        1) What can you do on a smaller Traeger that you can't do on a WSM with a temp control system? I imagine the Traeger will work a little more smoothly, but from what I'm reading, the auber thing you linked works pretty well, and some say you don't even need that. I'm a light sleeper who gets up a few times in the night anyway, so checking it on a few times on an overnight cook isn't a big deal to me. But are there things you can cook in a Traeger that you can't in a weber?
        2) similarly, why the 22.5? Are there things I can't fit in a 18.5? I doubt I'll ever be cooking for more than 10 or so, like you pros. This is more just for fun, and adding an extra $100 just makes this a tougher purchase to sell to my wife, who isn't the biggest barbecue fan anyway. Moliere mentioned somewhere about not being able to fit a brisket? Really?
        3) cleanup on the wsm? Lebowski says the traeger is really easy--how does the wsm compare?
        My wife wasn't a big bbq fan either and was skeptical with my purchase. After a few weeks she became a true believer.

In my ideal world I would own a WSM and a BGE also, just for fun.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Comparing what's left:

I have the Lil Tex Elite, and it's big enough for my needs. I could do 4 racks or ribs without stands or several tri-tips or pork shoulders. I probably could have fit 2 of the briskets I cooked this weekend on the grill at one time. The reason I went with the Traeger is that I knew I would use it more if I didn't have to tend long cooks. In theory, I enjoy the process, but in reality I know I get more use out of it when I don't have to worry about it.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Comparing what's left:

1) You can cook anything you want on the WSM. Sometimes you might have to get creative. For example if I cook several racks of ribs I either tie or skewer them in a circle to fit them all on the top grate.
            2) I bought the 18.5 WSM last year. I wish I had gotten the bigger one for a few of the cooks I've done but I've made it work.
            3) It isn't too big a deal. You'll have to clean the two grills and water pan as well as dump any unusable coals. The past few cooks I do that as I'm waiting for the coals to light in the chimney starter. You can also foil the water pan to catch any drippings and just throw away the foil after.

Comment

Comparing what's left:

Since price is a big deal, build a UDS. Less than $100. And no more work than a WSM.
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Thanks. I feel kind of stupid for posting it now--as I'm browsing this forum, my effort looks pretty weak--but I had a lot of fun.
                And of course, now I'm looking at a bigger option. The WSM gets such great reviews on Amazon that it's hard to justify the extra money for a traeger (which gets good reviews, but not as good, and surfahs experience makes me a little wary). I really liked the 'tending' the fire aspect--it feels like I'm doing something. I guess that gets difficult with overnight cooks, but then I get an automatic fan for $120--I'm still well short of a traeger. What am I missing here?
                Oh yeah, and it doesn't take up half my garage, I could take it on extended camping trips, etc.
                Besides the automatic temp control, is there another advantage to the traeger?

Don't feel stupid. I've used our weber as a smoker because I can't justify hauling a smoker around the world. I haven't done it in a long time, so I bought some ribs and butts last weekend and will re-engage sometime in the next two weeks. One question: how did you monitor the temperature? I've dangled our meat thermometer through the vent holes, which obvioulsy isn't perfect.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  Don't feel stupid. I've used our weber as a smoker because I can't justify hauling a smoker around the world. I haven't done it in a long time, so I bought some ribs and butts last weekend and will re-engage sometime in the next two weeks. One question: how did you monitor the temperature? I've dangled our meat thermometer through the vent holes, which obvioulsy isn't perfect.
                  I did the same thing with this that I got at our Walmart for like $15:
                  http://www.walmart.com/ip/19581254?w...l5=pla&veh=sem

So it was measuring temperature near the top of the interior--I have no idea if that matters.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    My wife wasn't a big bbq fan either and was skeptical with my purchase. After a few weeks she became a true believer.

In my ideal world I would own a WSM and a BGE also, just for fun.
                    Yeah, I'm hoping to convert her. My problem is that I have a history of getting into hobbies for a few weeks, spending a bunch of money on them, and then moving on to the next thing. I may just need to do a few more cooks on the little grill to get her on board.

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                    The reason I went with the Traeger is that I knew I would use it more if I didn't have to tend long cooks. In theory, I enjoy the process, but in reality I know I get more use out of it when I don't have to worry about it.
                    I definitely wonder about that--it seems fun now to tend things but does that get old? However, I never really enjoyed my gas BBQ because I felt like I was just standing by a hot grill doing something I could just as easily cook inside, not really doing anything.

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                    1) You can cook anything you want on the WSM. Sometimes you might have to get creative. For example if I cook several racks of ribs I either tie or skewer them in a circle to fit them all on the top grate.
                    2) I bought the 18.5 WSM last year. I wish I had gotten the bigger one for a few of the cooks I've done but I've made it work.
                    3) It isn't too big a deal. You'll have to clean the two grills and water pan as well as dump any unusable coals. The past few cooks I do that as I'm waiting for the coals to light in the chimney starter. You can also foil the water pan to catch any drippings and just throw away the foil after.
                    Thanks for this. That's what I need to know.

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                    Since price is a big deal, build a UDS. Less than $100. And no more work than a WSM.
                    This looks pretty fun. Not sure I trust my skills to pull it off though.
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• ER, you might want to check ksl.com classifieds. With all the Traegers being sold at Costco, you can find lightly used units for sale all the time.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Comparing what's left:

This is a good size packer on an 18.5" WSM. Large cooks can be done, but you have to get creative. I've seen people roll up racks of ribs with butcher twine to get them to fit. I just think it is better to start bigger even if you dont think you'll need the extra space. At some point you will wish you would have spent the extra $100.
                        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• And here is one for all you bachelors out there. Make a mini WSM out of a Tamale pot and a Smokey Joe. Less than $50 and you are good to go!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

This is a good size packer on an 18.5" WSM. Large cooks can be done, but you have to get creative. I've seen people roll up racks of ribs with butcher twine to get them to fit. I just think it is better to start bigger even if you dont think you'll need the extra space. At some point you will wish you would have spent the extra $100.
                            This is what I'm wondering about. That doesn't seem like it would fit much more easily on a 22.5, does it? Does the Traeger have the same space problem? Also, did I read somewhere that it's hard to get a packer in Utah anyway?

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                            And here is one for all you bachelors out there. Make a mini WSM out of a Tamale pot and a Smokey Joe. Less than $50 and you are good to go!

That's pretty sweet.
                            Here's another $25 mod I came across a few days ago:
                            http://www.bbqdryrubs.com/barrel-ext...ber-jumbo-joe/
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

This is what I'm wondering about. That doesn't seem like it would fit much more easily on a 22.5, does it? Does the Traeger have the same space problem? Also, did I read somewhere that it's hard to get a packer in Utah anyway?

That's pretty sweet.
                              Large packers will "just" fit on an 22.5" WSM. As I am not in Utah, I cant speak to the availability of them.

FYI, this is going to be my next project...

mini-offset reverse flow smoker.

Comment

That's pretty sweet.
                                Modified Webers? I thought this was the thread for someone "serious" about a new smoker.

Comment

Working...
                                X