Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I typically just spot check with a thermapen.
    Same.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post

Same.
      I used to use those fancy real time probes, but after a while I know about how long it takes for something to come to temp. I find the thermapen to be way more accurate and I can quickly check the entire cut of meat in different places.

Case in point, on my recent wagyu brisket I broke from my pattern and used two probes. They were showing that I had 2-3 degrees to go but my thermapen showed that it was done. 2-3 degrees doesn't matter too much, but I hate to overcook my bbq. It dries it out.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I used to use those fancy real time probes, but after a while I know about how long it takes for something to come to temp. I find the thermapen to be way more accurate and I can quickly check the entire cut of meat in different places.

Case in point, on my recent wagyu brisket I broke from my pattern and used two probes. They were showing that I had 2-3 degrees to go but my thermapen showed that it was done. 2-3 degrees doesn't matter too much, but I hate to overcook my bbq. It dries it out.
        meater is always consistent with thermapen for me (i do use both)
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Use the touch test you cowards.

Comment

• I love the smell of brisket after you pull it off the smoker and it's baking in the oven.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
              Bumping an old thread...because this is where most of the temp probe talk has happened.

What is everyone using now? I have been seeing a ton of adverts for the Meater probes. Online folks either love them or hate them. A cult following kinda.

I am in the market for new remote temp probes. Curious what the group is using.
              This bump was tragically late. A lot of people asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I didn't have a good answer. The Meater X would have been a great answer.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

This bump was tragically late. A lot of people asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I didn't have a good answer. The Meater X would have been a great answer.
                I just bought one. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do what I do though....I have already started a Christmas List for 2023. I add to it when I come across or think of things. I then start to whittle it down as I get towards the holidays.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

I just bought one. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do what I do though....I have already started a Christmas List for 2023. I add to it when I come across or think of things. I then start to whittle it down as I get towards the holidays.
                  Yep. I keep a running “stuff I want” list on my phone. When I buy stuff from the list or get them as gifts, I remove. But I add stuff all year long. (Include a link as well for future reference).
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• men-turning-35-meme-31607.png

Comment

• Why not both?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        Why not both?
                        I have a healthy interest in both.

Comment

Working...
                        X