Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Coach McGuirk
    1
    • Nov 2008
    • 12109

    #256
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    What a coincidence. I was talking to someone about p-settings today and it looks like I was wrong.
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Where did you get your fire bricks? I was just talking to someone about fire bricks and p settings this afternoon. What a coincidence.

    Speaking of p settings, what was your factory default?

    I'm wondering where to buy fire bricks locally without the shipping. I would think that some masonry place must sell them.

    Talking to each other, it seems. How were you wrong, Lebowski?

    The factory setting is P-2, which was too high. Just one was enough to fix it for me. I ordered the firebricks online, as I couldn't find any local to pick up. Wish I did.

    Comment

    • Coach McGuirk
      1
      • Nov 2008
      • 12109

      #257
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I think I saw similar p setting data on pelletheads somewhere, but I'm still confused. Coach was using a P2 setting and experienced high temp fluctuation....lower lows and higher highs. By changing to P3, and thereby increasing the amount of time the auger is inactive, the temp was actuallystabilized. This seems counterintuitive to me. If the auger is inactive longer, I would think that the temp is going to drop to a lower low than at the P2 setting. Maybe I'm missing something.

      Also, what is the advantage of increased temp fluctuations? In other words, why have the ability to change the P setting to P1 or P0?

      I think it mostly has to do with cold/hot weather. The colder the weather, the lower you would set the P setting.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #258
        Looks like home depot and ace sell packs of 6 firebricks. I wonder if they are online only? I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if a masonry place or fireplace company sells them.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • Coach McGuirk
          1
          • Nov 2008
          • 12109

          #259
          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          Looks like home depot and ace sell packs of 6 firebricks. I wonder if they are online only? I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if a masonry place or fireplace company sells them.

          I take it this is the nonchalant way of saying you are now in the club?

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #260
            Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
            I take it this is the nonchalant way of saying you are now in the club?
            Almost. Have to pick it up. Very excited!
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • Coach McGuirk
              1
              • Nov 2008
              • 12109

              #261
              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Almost. Have to pick it up. Very excited!

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69735

                #262
                Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                Talking to each other, it seems. How were you wrong, Lebowski?
                I thought it was a +/- calibration thing for the thermostat.

                I haven't touched mine.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #263
                  Where do you guys buy your wood pellets? Is the standard bag weight 20 lbs? I see them at Ace for around $10 each, that seems pretty good, but are there better deals out there?

                  Also, for traeger owners, do you limit your pellets to traeger brand or is that simply a sales gimmick? what brands do you use?

                  I was going to stock up on an initial round of mesquite, apple, and pecan. I have also seen hickory, alder, cherry, and maybe a few more. Which pellet do you use most often and which pellets are a w.a.s.t.e. of time? Do you have a certain pellet preference for different types of meats? Chicken, fish, beef, pork, and do you differentiate between cuts of the same type? Pork butt vs pork ribs, for example?
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • Drunk Tank
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 2569

                    #264
                    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    Where do you guys buy your wood pellets? Is the standard bag weight 20 lbs? I see them at Ace for around $10 each, that seems pretty good, but are there better deals out there?

                    Also, for traeger owners, do you limit your pellets to traeger brand or is that simply a sales gimmick? what brands do you use?

                    I was going to stock up on an initial round of mesquite, apple, and pecan. I have also seen hickory, alder, cherry, and maybe a few more. Which pellet do you use most often and which pellets are a w.a.s.t.e. of time? Do you have a certain pellet preference for different types of meats? Chicken, fish, beef, pork, and do you differentiate between cuts of the same type? Pork butt vs pork ribs, for example?
                    I like pecan, hickory, apple and cherry. I have used a few different brands of pellets and cant tell a real difference, though the traeger pellets are regarded as inferior to many other brands, online at least. I really liked cookingpellets.com perfect mix pellets. Locally I could only find traeger pellets until just recent. Now I have about 4 different brands to choose from (fast eddy's, gmg pellets, traeger and one other I cant think of at the moment.)


                    Also, $10 a bag is a great price.
                    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                    Comment

                    • Shaka
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 10450

                      #265
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      Where do you guys buy your wood pellets? Is the standard bag weight 20 lbs? I see them at Ace for around $10 each, that seems pretty good, but are there better deals out there?

                      Also, for traeger owners, do you limit your pellets to traeger brand or is that simply a sales gimmick? what brands do you use?

                      I was going to stock up on an initial round of mesquite, apple, and pecan. I have also seen hickory, alder, cherry, and maybe a few more. Which pellet do you use most often and which pellets are a w.a.s.t.e. of time? Do you have a certain pellet preference for different types of meats? Chicken, fish, beef, pork, and do you differentiate between cuts of the same type? Pork butt vs pork ribs, for example?
                      I really like the hickory and applewood. I also have no problem with the Traeger pellets.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69735

                        #266
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        Where do you guys buy your wood pellets? Is the standard bag weight 20 lbs? I see them at Ace for around $10 each, that seems pretty good, but are there better deals out there?

                        Also, for traeger owners, do you limit your pellets to traeger brand or is that simply a sales gimmick? what brands do you use?

                        I was going to stock up on an initial round of mesquite, apple, and pecan. I have also seen hickory, alder, cherry, and maybe a few more. Which pellet do you use most often and which pellets are a w.a.s.t.e. of time? Do you have a certain pellet preference for different types of meats? Chicken, fish, beef, pork, and do you differentiate between cuts of the same type? Pork butt vs pork ribs, for example?
                        $10 at Ace? Local or online? What brand?

                        I stock up on hickory and mesquite whenever traeger rolls into Costco ($13 something per bag). Outside of that I haven't found a cheap local outlet.

                        I use the following:

                        Mesquite: my favorite. I use this on ribs, pulled pork, brisket, pizza.
                        Apple: chicken, pulled pork
                        Hickory: I dont use it straight up but I mix with apple sometimes
                        Oak: brisket. To replicate that austin BBQ flavor
                        Alder: salmon
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Coach McGuirk
                          1
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 12109

                          #267
                          I'm with Jeff, please point me in the direction of the $10 pellets. I am paying 15 a bag right now locally.

                          I have Mesquite, Hickory, and Oak. I tend to use the Mesquite the most. I would like to have the pecan, alder, apple, cherry....all of them really.


                          What are you going to grill first, D to the 3?

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #268
                            Guys, here is a link I came across doing a standard google search. 20lb bag, apple pellets.



                            Are these the right stuff? They have several types. If it is a such a good deal, I might jump on them today.

                            I'm looking to do ribs and chicken on the maiden voyage. Keep it simple, earn my stripes.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69735

                              #269
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Guys, here is a link I came across doing a standard google search. 20lb bag, apple pellets.



                              Are these the right stuff? They have several types. If it is a such a good deal, I might jump on them today.

                              I'm looking to do ribs and chicken on the maiden voyage. Keep it simple, earn my stripes.
                              Ha. I have seen this website before.

                              Not sure how they can sell them that cheaply given that the Costco price is supposedly well below wholesale. Furthermore, if you go to check out you will see that they charge $29 per bag for shipping. They probably recover their profit via shipping charges.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #270
                                lame!

                                $29 per bag is a joke.
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...