Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Donuthole
    Official Outgayer
    • Nov 2008
    • 25267

    #2116
    That Memphis setup KC is rocking seems pretty close to what you are looking for.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

    Comment

    • Dwight Schr-ute
      Members Only
      • May 2011
      • 4917

      #2117
      Originally posted by All-American View Post
      What's your budget?
      Well, I just saved $750 on my sports court a couple of days ago for opting out of the Drum & Feather in the key, so at least that. Probably ~$1,500.




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

      Comment

      • Walter Sobchak
        Adventurer
        • Oct 2009
        • 3815

        #2118
        Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
        Well, I just saved $750 on my sports court a couple of days ago for opting out of the Drum & Feather in the key, so at least that. Probably ~$1,500.
        Not surprised.

        Zoom in.
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

        Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

        Comment

        • Dwight Schr-ute
          Members Only
          • May 2011
          • 4917

          #2119
          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          That Memphis setup KC is rocking seems pretty close to what you are looking for.
          Hmmm. Looks like I might have to up my budget. Can I expose my extreme ignorance by asking what the biggest difference is between the Memphis vs Traeger or the $800 Louisiana that my Costco sells?


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

          Comment

          • mtnbiker
            it's all a blur
            • Mar 2009
            • 2573

            #2120
            You could go with something clean and simple like this. Charcoal/wood burner on left, Lynx grill in the middle, and Big Green Egg on the right. Oh and a mini fridge to the right of the grill.
            DSC_0539-2.jpg

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69689

              #2121
              So I did my first of 2-3 big batches of pulled pork for the upcoming wedding. 14 butts. That was a ton of work. Doing a repeat sometime this week.

              We are processing the cooked pork by pulling it, putting it into bags (1 butt per bag) and then vacuum sealing and freezing. Gearing up for this, I was worried about the vacuum sealing part. We have always struggled when vacuum sealing pork. The juice/grease gets sucked up to the top and then it is very difficult to get a good seal. Sometimes pushing down on the lid to increase pressure on the seal does the trick, but it is a huge PITA. We have resorted to putting the bags in the freezer for a while before sealing but that kind of defeats whole hurry-and-seal-before-it-oxidizes logic. And sometimes we lose track of time. And in this case we are talking very large quantities of meat in large bags.

              So in light of this, I did some research into getting a commercial grade vacuum sealer (I have a Food Saver model). I did a ton of research. Prices go all the way up to $1300 bucks or so (yikes) and some of them use positive pressure instead of a vacuum. In the end I opted for this one (see image below).

              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

              Cost = $239 so more than a typical consumer model, but cheaper than most heavy duty models. New company with one product, but the reviews were great. We have been using it for a few weeks, but the big batch of pork was the real test and this little baby came through like a champ. Did the sealing while the meat was hot and juicy and not a single bad seal. It has strong suction, a wide seal, manual pulse and seal mode, and you can select the number of seconds on the seal (default = 4). Fantastic sealer.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Green Monstah
                Royal Rooter
                • Aug 2010
                • 13955

                #2122
                I sold my first smoker over the weekend (WSM). Now...what do I replace it with???
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                Comment

                • The_Tick
                  Made something of myself
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7292

                  #2123
                  Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                  I sold my first smoker over the weekend (WSM). Now...what do I replace it with???
                  What happened to the deal that you had lined up the other day? The one that needed a trailer?

                  Comment

                  • Green Monstah
                    Royal Rooter
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 13955

                    #2124
                    Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                    What happened to the deal that you had lined up the other day? The one that needed a trailer?
                    I FaceTimed with the owner, and it was in really bad shape. I should have known given the price.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                    Comment

                    • Moliere
                      One man.....one pie
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 27878

                      #2125
                      Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                      I sold my first smoker over the weekend (WSM). Now...what do I replace it with???
                      A bigger smoker.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                      Comment

                      • Green Monstah
                        Royal Rooter
                        • Aug 2010
                        • 13955

                        #2126
                        Anyone ever heard of Rebel smokers? It appears they're affiliated with (or were perhaps bought out by) Assasin smokers.

                        I found a decent deal a few hours from me, but I just can't find out much info on them.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                        "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                        Comment

                        • Moliere
                          One man.....one pie
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 27878

                          #2127
                          Never heard of them. Get a Yoder. You won’t be disappointed.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                          Comment

                          • Green Monstah
                            Royal Rooter
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 13955

                            #2128
                            Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            Never heard of them. Get a Yoder. You won’t be disappointed.
                            I'm considering it.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                            "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                            Comment

                            • snowcat
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 1348

                              #2129
                              Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Never heard of them. Get a Yoder. You won’t be disappointed.
                              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

                              Woot

                              I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                              SU

                              Comment

                              • Drunk Tank
                                Senior Member
                                • Apr 2009
                                • 2569

                                #2130
                                Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                I sold my first smoker over the weekend (WSM). Now...what do I replace it with???
                                Massive cooking area combined with amazing versatility with the Adapative Control System. 10 year warranty and Made in the USA.


                                or if you are a real baller....


                                yoder cimmaron.jpg
                                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                                Comment

                                Working...