Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Green Monstah
    Royal Rooter
    • Aug 2010
    • 13955

    #2101
    I just found a great deal on a stumps classic. Any idea how To get this bohemoth into a trailer or truck?
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

    Comment

    • Donuthole
      Official Outgayer
      • Nov 2008
      • 25268

      #2102
      Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      I just found a great deal on a stumps classic. Any idea how To get this bohemoth into a trailer or truck?
      Is that like a Bohemian behemoth?
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

      Comment

      • kccougar
        9262
        • Nov 2008
        • 7020

        #2103
        Final piece in our back yard build...

        20180611_123527.jpg

        I had a junky propane grill that my wife brought into the marriage plus my Traeger, and I was hoping to replace both with one unit. Hence, the Memphis. So far, it has been perfect. Will smoke ribs at low temp and tonight I tried pizza for the first time at almost 700 deg. Honestly, it did a little bit better job than my pizza oven. It's also very efficient on pellets.
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37987

          #2104
          Originally posted by kccougar View Post
          Final piece in our back yard build...

          [ATTACH]8840[/ATTACH]

          I had a junky propane grill that my wife brought into the marriage plus my Traeger, and I was hoping to replace both with one unit. Hence, the Memphis. So far, it has been perfect. Will smoke ribs at low temp and tonight I tried pizza for the first time at almost 700 deg. Honestly, it did a little bit better job than my pizza oven. It's also very efficient on pellets.
          Looks awesome.

          Where's the pool?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69706

            #2105
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • kccougar
              9262
              • Nov 2008
              • 7020

              #2106
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              Looks awesome.

              Where's the pool?
              After catching up on the pool thread this morning, I'm going to have to take some pics this weekend.
              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

              Comment

              • Donuthole
                Official Outgayer
                • Nov 2008
                • 25268

                #2107
                Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                I had a junky propane grill that my wife brought into the marriage plus my Traeger, and I was hoping to replace both with one unit. Hence, the Memphis. So far, it has been perfect. Will smoke ribs at low temp and tonight I tried pizza for the first time at almost 700 deg. Honestly, it did a little bit better job than my pizza oven. It's also very efficient on pellets.
                That looks amazing, kc. I had our pool builder run a stub for a gas grill and a stub for a gas firepit. I had been thinking that I would have a gas grill built in and then a trager or other similar smoker around the corner (there's not enough room for both together on our patio). But I really like the idea of having both in one. How much smoke does this put off when you're smoking? Ours would be in relatively close proximity to the pool, so that would be a concern. Also, since it's wood-buring, were there any restrictions or extra code requirements for it to be built into the structure? (i.e. distance from house, etc.)
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                Comment

                • kccougar
                  9262
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7020

                  #2108
                  Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  That looks amazing, kc. I had our pool builder run a stub for a gas grill and a stub for a gas firepit. I had been thinking that I would have a gas grill built in and then a trager or other similar smoker around the corner (there's not enough room for both together on our patio). But I really like the idea of having both in one. How much smoke does this put off when you're smoking? Ours would be in relatively close proximity to the pool, so that would be a concern. Also, since it's wood-buring, were there any restrictions or extra code requirements for it to be built into the structure? (i.e. distance from house, etc.)
                  It doesn't seem to put off as much smoke as much as my Traeger did though it's certainly enough for the food. Not sure why except that it has dual fans inside circulating the smoke around the chamber, which I believe is one of the reasons it is more efficient.


                  I actually didn't ask about any requirements for location. I did have a guy build this in for me - not sure if he had to check on that either, but I'm not aware of any issues.
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                  Comment

                  • kccougar
                    9262
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7020

                    #2109
                    And mine is within a couple feet of my house (on the left of my photo).
                    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                    Comment

                    • Shaka
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 10449

                      #2110
                      That's rad!

                      Comment

                      • Bo Diddley
                        Senior
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 18791

                        #2111


                        Sweet setup! So I guess the next CS gathering is in KC's back yard?

                        Comment

                        • CJF
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 8497

                          #2112
                          Nice. That’s a nice set up. Looks great. My Memphis is almost 8 years old and going strong.
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                          Comment

                          • Dwight Schr-ute
                            Members Only
                            • May 2011
                            • 4917

                            #2113
                            Okay. I need some help. We’re making progress on the backyard and it’s about time I figure out what the hell I want in the outdoor kitchen.

                            History: my experience is limited to gas grills. Nothing complicated. Burgers, chicken breasts, steaks. Nothing complicated. My kids are still pretty young, so good meat hasn’t been high demand, but that’s improving. As is my available free time.

                            So moving forward, I’d like to get something with some versatility. Something I can grill during the week and maybe slow cook on the weekend.

                            I do all the cooking at my house and I’m pretty competent within my role but my meat experience isn’t very strong and I’m not super versed in types of cuts and all that fancy stuff. I’m kind of a sloppy cook and am not used to adhering to specific temperatures and timelines, but I’m open to exploring this if the results make it worth it.

                            I guess I’m looking for recommendations on types of devices and brands to look into that will allow me to hopefully grow into a better man doing man grill things. My design thought was to do some sort of built in with counter space and a mini fridge. Not super complicated. But I definitely don’t want to do a build in if it ends up being something I’m not satisfied with, so even though I’ve ignored this thread for a long time, I’m hoping that the above info is enough for you to point me in a good direction. Thanks!


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                            Comment

                            • Eddie
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 8098

                              #2114
                              I am a total noob to some of this stuff.

                              But if it works with your setup, I can certainly recommend some sort of pellet grill. Until we got one, all we'd used in years was propane. Once we started cooking with wood pellets - and we used it a couple of times for burgers and other things we'd normally use propane for - my wife said "I'm not sure we'll ever use that propane grill again."

                              And she's probably right. The taste is just that much better.

                              Comment

                              • All-American
                                Right, as Usual
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 15665

                                #2115
                                Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                                Okay. I need some help. We’re making progress on the backyard and it’s about time I figure out what the hell I want in the outdoor kitchen.

                                History: my experience is limited to gas grills. Nothing complicated. Burgers, chicken breasts, steaks. Nothing complicated. My kids are still pretty young, so good meat hasn’t been high demand, but that’s improving. As is my available free time.

                                So moving forward, I’d like to get something with some versatility. Something I can grill during the week and maybe slow cook on the weekend.

                                I do all the cooking at my house and I’m pretty competent within my role but my meat experience isn’t very strong and I’m not super versed in types of cuts and all that fancy stuff. I’m kind of a sloppy cook and am not used to adhering to specific temperatures and timelines, but I’m open to exploring this if the results make it worth it.

                                I guess I’m looking for recommendations on types of devices and brands to look into that will allow me to hopefully grow into a better man doing man grill things. My design thought was to do some sort of built in with counter space and a mini fridge. Not super complicated. But I definitely don’t want to do a build in if it ends up being something I’m not satisfied with, so even though I’ve ignored this thread for a long time, I’m hoping that the above info is enough for you to point me in a good direction. Thanks!


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                What's your budget?
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                                Comment

                                Working...