Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LA Ute
    Receiver of Memory
    • Nov 2008
    • 19512

    #1906
    For those looking for recipes and tips:

    Smokin' in the Boys' Room: Southern Recipes from the Winningest Woman in Barbecue
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    Comment

    • Drunk Tank
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 2569

      #1907
      Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      I couldn't pull the traeger on the Stumps. It's a whole lot of pit and it was far away (however, if any of you want a smokin' deal on a pit, search "stumps" on Oklahoma City's craigslist page).

      I bought some gaskets for my WSM and purchased a backwoods Chubby G2. It's small, relatively light weight (170 lbs), so I can transport it if necessary.
      Congrats on the new smoker. Backwoods makes a great product.
      "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69723

        #1908
        Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        I couldn't pull the traeger on the Stumps. It's a whole lot of pit and it was far away (however, if any of you want a smokin' deal on a pit, search "stumps" on Oklahoma City's craigslist page).

        I bought some gaskets for my WSM and purchased a backwoods Chubby G2. It's small, relatively light weight (170 lbs), so I can transport it if necessary.
        That looks like a great little smoker. Be sure to report how it works out.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • CJF
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 8497

          #1909
          After two years of sitting in storage and the Memphis fired up and cooked like a champion at the push of a button. It's good to be home.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

          Comment

          • Pelado
            Bald not naked
            • Sep 2010
            • 21144

            #1910
            Originally posted by CJF View Post
            After two years of sitting in storage and the Memphis fired up and cooked like a champion at the push of a button. It's good to be home.
            Nice. What did you cook? Pictures?

            Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

            Comment

            • CJF
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 8497

              #1911
              Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              Nice. What did you cook? Pictures?

              Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              Nothing worthy of pictures. I'm cooking for a family reunion on Saturday so I wanted test it out. I grabbed a couple of Papa Murphy pizzas, cranked it up to 550 and let it go. 7 minutes later we had as perfect pizza as Papa Murphy can be.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

              Comment

              • BigFatMeanie
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 7117

                #1912
                Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Nice. What did you cook? Pictures?

                Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                I don't think pictures taste all that great when cooked.

                Comment

                • Pelado
                  Bald not naked
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 21144

                  #1913
                  Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  I don't think pictures taste all that great when cooked.
                  Depends on the photo paper. Matte renders better than glossy.

                  Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

                  Comment

                  • CJF
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 8497

                    #1914
                    For our family reunion dinner tomorrow two butts and a nice big brisket. Using hickory and cherry. Interested in how that will taste on the brisket. Hopefully not bad.

                    image.jpg

                    About 10 hours into the cook.

                    image.jpg
                    Last edited by CJF; 06-25-2016, 06:20 AM.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                    Comment

                    • Pelado
                      Bald not naked
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 21144

                      #1915
                      Originally posted by CJF View Post
                      For our family reunion dinner tomorrow two butts and a nice big brisket. Using hickory and cherry. Interested in how that will taste on the brisket. Hopefully not bad.

                      [ATTACH]7051[/ATTACH]

                      About 10 hours into the cook.

                      [ATTACH]7052[/ATTACH]
                      You always cook sans pans?

                      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

                      Comment

                      • lambdacoug
                        Junior Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 3981

                        #1916
                        Getting ready to do my first* brisket for the 4th. So far, I've been underwhelmed by the smoke output from my Pit Barrel Cooker. It cooks well and is pretty easy to use, the flavors are good, but there has been a notable lack of smoke ring. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised it is the Pit Barrel *Cooker* not Pit Barrel *Smoker*. I'm going to throw in some mojobricks this week to see if I can't give it a shot in the arm for the longer cook.

                        I'm stopping by the BBQ store to pick up an injector and the mojobricks and I'll be asking for recommendations on rub and an accompanying mop. Any tips for a first time brisket cook? I'm just going to be using the supermarket special "select" cut, I'm not going to spend 2x-3x the money for a better cut from a butcher until I've got a few under my belt.

                        * I did a tiny 2 lbs flat last weekend, doesn't really count though. For that cook, after trimming it, I used yellow mustard before the rub, then used the PBC rub that came with the PBC, after it hit 160 degrees, I foiled it and added some beef broth before wrapping it up and then put it back on until it hit 200 degrees internal temp. It was pretty good, but I'm sure there are things I can do better.
                        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                        - Howard Aiken

                        Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69723

                          #1917
                          Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                          Getting ready to do my first* brisket for the 4th. So far, I've been underwhelmed by the smoke output from my Pit Barrel Cooker. It cooks well and is pretty easy to use, the flavors are good, but there has been a notable lack of smoke ring. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised it is the Pit Barrel *Cooker* not Pit Barrel *Smoker*. I'm going to throw in some mojobricks this week to see if I can't give it a shot in the arm for the longer cook.

                          I'm stopping by the BBQ store to pick up an injector and the mojobricks and I'll be asking for recommendations on rub and an accompanying mop. Any tips for a first time brisket cook?

                          * I did a tiny 2 lbs flat last weekend, doesn't really count though. For that cook, after trimming it, I used yellow mustard before the rub, then used the PBC rub that came with the PBC, after it hit 160 degrees, I foiled it and added some beef broth before wrapping it up and then put it back on until it hit 200 degrees internal temp. It was pretty good, but I'm sure there are things I can do better.
                          Rub: 50/50 mix of kosher salt and coarse-ground black pepper.

                          You don't need a mop for brisket.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • lambdacoug
                            Junior Member
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 3981

                            #1918
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Rub: 50/50 mix of kosher salt and coarse-ground black pepper.

                            You don't need a mop for brisket.
                            That simplicity appeals to me. Thx.
                            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                            - Howard Aiken

                            Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

                            Comment

                            • Pelado
                              Bald not naked
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 21144

                              #1919
                              Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                              Getting ready to do my first* brisket for the 4th. So far, I've been underwhelmed by the smoke output from my Pit Barrel Cooker. It cooks well and is pretty easy to use, the flavors are good, but there has been a notable lack of smoke ring. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised it is the Pit Barrel *Cooker* not Pit Barrel *Smoker*. I'm going to throw in some mojobricks this week to see if I can't give it a shot in the arm for the longer cook.

                              I'm stopping by the BBQ store to pick up an injector and the mojobricks and I'll be asking for recommendations on rub and an accompanying mop. Any tips for a first time brisket cook? I'm just going to be using the supermarket special "select" cut, I'm not going to spend 2x-3x the money for a better cut from a butcher until I've got a few under my belt.

                              * I did a tiny 2 lbs flat last weekend, doesn't really count though. For that cook, after trimming it, I used yellow mustard before the rub, then used the PBC rub that came with the PBC, after it hit 160 degrees, I foiled it and added some beef broth before wrapping it up and then put it back on until it hit 200 degrees internal temp. It was pretty good, but I'm sure there are things I can do better.
                              This thread contains lots of pics, tips, and tricks for smoking a great brisket. Take your time to explore it. However, I use this OP to publish my current technique. See below. I will update this from time to time. LAST UPDATE: 9/21/15 ============================= This document describes my current technique for cooking
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              • Moliere
                                One man.....one pie
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 27889

                                #1920
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                You don't need a mop for brisket.
                                Yep. I have a mop and will use it sometimes for pork but never on a brisket. I do like to mop a vinegar based sauce on a pork butt.

                                A couple years ago I used to spray my briskest every hour with apple juice (sometimes mixed with rub). I don't do it anymore because I don't think it does anything and because I'm lazy.


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                                Comment

                                Working...