Talking Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
    I'm thinking that I'd like to take a marriage sabbatical and live in Turkey for a year - all by myself. Was thinking Kas - on the southwestern coast. I lived in Turkey back in 66-68, and I'd like to come full circle as it's been something I've thought a lot over the years. Wife won't go - so I would go without her. Kind of 50/50 and floating the idea.

Do any of you know of someone that just wanted a pause in their life - and gone off and done something for themselves for a year. Would your wife support such an idea?
    My wife might prefer me being in a different hemisphere for a year or two. I know she has no interest in visiting Istanbul.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

My wife might prefer me being in a different hemisphere for a year or two. I know she has no interest in visiting Istanbul.
      I spent a year in a different hemisphere. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

I spent a year in a different hemisphere. It's not all it's cracked up to be.
        Yeah, my two years in the Southern Hemisphere weren't all sunshine and lollipops. But I'm guessing it was still better than your experience.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Yeah, my two years in the Southern Hemisphere weren't all sunshine and lollipops. But I'm guessing it was still better than your experience.
          Whoa. I just realized I've never ever been in the Southern Hemisphere. That's crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Whoa. I just realized I've never ever been in the Southern Hemisphere. That's crazy.
            Me neither. Hong Kong is the furthest south I have ever been.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

Me neither. Hong Kong is the furthest south I have ever been.
              Nicaragua is the farthest south I've been.

Comment

• Wellington NZ for me.
                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• I got close when I went to Panama.

Comment

• Once, in Bali.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                      Wellington NZ for me.
                      Tokomaru Bay - you've got me beat by a few miles.

Comment

• Because at least one of my siblings has to be chaotic and self centered (long story), I am now hosting Thanksgiving at my smallish place with 5 days notice instead of at my mom's house. This presents me with 2 issues that I normally don't deal with in regards to the turkey:

1) I don't have the fridge space to brine the turkey overnight. I normally use a large oven bag i put the turkey and brine in, place it in a huge pot and pop it in the fridge. My parents have 3 refrigerators and space was never an issue. I have a fridge that works for a 2 adult + 2 child household. Add Thanksgiving foods to the mix and it's just not feasible. I have a large home depot bucket that I could use. Has anyone brine a turkey in a bucket by adding ice? I could put it outside overnight. I'm still thinking this through.

2) I have a gas oven that works ok. I have never made a turkey in this oven, but cooking a whole chicken has always been a struggle. It doesn’t cook evenly. I have always used Alton Brown's turkey triangle method, using my mom's electric oven. I am a bit worried how this will work in my oven. Good times.

Comment

• I brine my Turkey in a 5 gallon bucket every year. I leave it outside, and depending on how cold it is I’ll add ice.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            I brine my Turkey in a 5 gallon bucket every year. I leave it outside, and depending on how cold it is I’ll add ice.
                            Do you add ice to the brine mixture itself?

Comment

• Yup - brine in a 5-gallon bucket works great. I do have a big fridge and I still use the bucket and just set it in the garage. If I need to add ice because of the temp I’ll just put it in the brine. No problemo.

Don’t have any advice for the oven. I was going to do a spatchcock turkey on the Trager this year but then we got strong-armed into going to my sister’s house. So now we’re on mashed potato and salad duty and my sister’s husband is in command of the turkey.

Comment

• I'm still using AA's advice in deconstructing the turkey and smoking it that way. I might have to review the instructions and put more effort into the prep, but results have been great so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X