No announcement yet.

Cookie Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since this thread was bumped....is there a chart somewhere which shows the time and temp differances when using convection as oppossed to regular oven times and temps?
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
      Since this thread was bumped....is there a chart somewhere which shows the time and temp differances when using convection as oppossed to regular oven times and temps?
      I reduce the regular oven temp by 25 degrees in a convection oven and that seems to work.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
        Pride of Iowa cookies

1 cup brown sugar
        1 cup butter
        1 cup coconut
        ½ teaspoon salt
        3 cups quick oats
        1 teaspoon vanilla extract
        1 cup sugar
        2 eggs
        1 teaspoon baking soda
        1 teaspoon baking powder
        2 cups flour
        1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 325 F.
        Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and oatmeal. Stir in coconut and nuts. Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Other yummy additions I have tried: chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, raisins or cranberries and orange zest
        This was today's selection for Sunday Afternoon Cookie time with HFN and kids.

Captain said after tasting some of the dough "I can tell why these are the bride of Iowa cookies, I am falling in love with them."

Another great cookie day in the HFN house.

Next up el Duderino's Ginger Snaps.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
          Pride of Iowa cookies

1 cup brown sugar
          1 cup butter
          1 cup coconut
          ½ teaspoon salt
          3 cups quick oats
          1 teaspoon vanilla extract
          1 cup sugar
          2 eggs
          1 teaspoon baking soda
          1 teaspoon baking powder
          2 cups flour
          1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 325 F.
          Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and oatmeal. Stir in coconut and nuts. Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Other yummy additions I have tried: chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, raisins or cranberries and orange zest
          We tried this recipe last night. Very tasty. We were out of chocolate chips so we cut up some chocolate bars.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Jacksonville is the largest city in the US.
            You should qualify that statement.
            There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
            Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
            And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              We tried this recipe last night. Very tasty. We were out of chocolate chips so we cut up some chocolate bars.
              I make this recipe more than I should. Chocolate chunks are even better than chocolate chips.
              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
              -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

I need a good sugar cookie recipe. I make cookies about once a week with my two-year-old. We mix it up, but lately she really loves using cookie cutters and applying frosting.

I know that sugar cookies are not that complicated. They're the hamburger-helper of the cookie world.

I know that the main trick is to under-, not overcook them. I know cookie thickness makes a difference.

But I'm tired of my mother-in-law's simple recipe. It's fine, but that's it. There's gotta be something better out there.

What do you all have?
                "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                  I need a good sugar cookie recipe. I make cookies about once a week with my two-year-old. We mix it up, but lately she really loves using cookie cutters and applying frosting.

I know that sugar cookies are not that complicated. They're the hamburger-helper of the cookie world.

I know that the main trick is to under-, not overcook them. I know cookie thickness makes a difference.

But I'm tired of my mother-in-law's simple recipe. It's fine, but that's it. There's gotta be something better out there.

What do you all have?
                  My wife has a great sugar cookie recipe. Soft and chewy. I think I have it here on my laptop.

Here you go. It makes a huge batch, so be warned.

Grandma Taylor's Sugar Cookies

4 eggs
                  2 Cups shortening
                  4 Cups sugar
                  2 Cups buttermilk
                  1 tsp. vanilla
                  1 tsp. lemon extract
                  2 tsp. baking soda
                  1 tsp. salt
                  Enough flour to make a soft dough. About 9 cups

Cream eggs, shortening and sugar. Add buttermilk, vanilla and lemon, blend until creamy. Slowly add the dry ingredients. The dough will be very soft. Roll out on a lightly floured surface. Bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes. I like a softer cookie so I reduce the heat to about 325 and bake until the cookies spring back. This is a big recipe that makes dozens of sugar cookies. My grandma had 15 children and so she had to cook for an army. These cookies freeze well or you can half the recipe.

This is a very old recipe. My grandma was one of those good cooks who didn't measure things and it turned out perfect every time. I am not that good, so I measure my flour. I also like to crush up peppermints and mix them into the dough. It makes it a chewy cookie and gives it a good flavor.
                  Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 10-15-2009, 08:47 AM.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    2 tsp. soda
                    Baking Soda, I assume? Or are there other kinds?

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      So today at Stake Conf. HFN Jr. started talking about how the best cookie in the world comes from his school cafeteria. I thought what better time to resume HFN and kids make the cookies of CUF series.

So without further ado, we made kcc's chocolate chip cookies. Much easier than DDD's recipe. I will need to plan ahead to make other people's recipes. Molasses and coconut? These aren't just things we have on hand in our pantry.

Notice the wood spoon, we follow directions well!

One cup didn't look good so we added more chips.

Ready to bake. No I didn't put them in the microwave, I guess it has been left open for a while.

Finished

Goose loved it, HFN Jr. said the ones from his school are a little better.

I guess I haven't checked this thread for a while. Thanks for trying my recipe!
                      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

What do you all have?
                        My wife has a great sugar cookie recipe. In fact, when she makes them we always sneak them over to my neighbor across the street who really, really likes them but can't publically admit it because his wife has a sugar cookie recipe that she is very proud of.

I'll post the recipe tonight.
                        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                          Baking Soda, I assume? Or are there other kinds?
                          Yes.

Comment

These are the best cookies I've ever had, let alone made, Mr. Lebowski. Your grandma rules.

My 2-year-old daughter is terrified of the mixer so it took us a couple of tries to get the dough made. We cut out Halloween shapes and frosted them with black frosting. My little girl had a blast but quickly abandoned frosting for eating.

My wife doesn't even like sugar cookies and she's digging them. The lemon juice is key. She's quit teasing me about my "internet friends" and now wishes she had some connections to awesome recipes. I told her she could sign up, but we'll see . . . I'm worried our household would grind to an absolute stop if that were the case.

Again, kudos to you and your recipe, Duderino.

In the spirit of HFN, here are a couple of photos, although they're more of my kid than of the cookies:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30222670@N05/4035868932/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30222670@N05/4035868940/

That's right. We go topless when we make cookies at my house.
                            "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                            -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

These are the best cookies I've ever had, let alone made, Mr. Lebowski. Your grandma rules.

My 2-year-old daughter is terrified of the mixer so it took us a couple of tries to get the dough made. We cut out Halloween shapes and frosted them with black frosting. My little girl had a blast but quickly abandoned frosting for eating.

My wife doesn't even like sugar cookies and she's digging them. The lemon juice is key. She's quit teasing me about my "internet friends" and now wishes she had some connections to awesome recipes. I told her she could sign up, but we'll see . . . I'm worried our household would grind to an absolute stop if that were the case.

Again, kudos to you and your recipe, Duderino.

In the spirit of HFN, here are a couple of photos, although they're more of my kid than of the cookies:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30222670@N05/4035868932/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30222670@N05/4035868940/

That's right. We go topless when we make cookies at my house.
                              That's awesome.

But in the spirit of full disclosure, it is my wife's recipe (Grandma Taylor is her grandmother).

Comment

Your daughter is adorable, btw.

Comment

Working...
                                X