• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You eat posole with Fritos scoops?

You are not Hispanic.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Sausage and Bean Stew (adapted from Williams-Sonoma)

2 C dried white beans (I use Great Northern)
      2 T olive oil
      1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
      2 celery stalks, finely chopped (optional)
      1 large carrot, finely chopped (optional)
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      4 C chicken broth
      1 C dry white wine
      1 C diced canned tomatoes, drained
      1 lb cooked sausage cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I use Colosimos red wine or mild italian)
      3 T balsamic vinegar
      Salt/Pepper
      1/4 C parmesan cheese
      1/4 C bread crumbs
      1 T finely chopped parsley

Soak beans for at least 4 hours

Heat olive oil in a heavy pan and cook onion, garlic, celery, and carrots until tender. Add the stock, wine, tomatoes, and drained beans. Simmer until the beans begin to fall apart (75 min, approx). Take half the cooked beans and puree them in a blender. Add the mashed beans, sausage, and vinegar back to the soup and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Spoon into bowls and cover with the cheese, bread, and parsley (mix together in separate bowl). Put under the broiler for 5 or so minutes, until the cheese/crumbs are browned.

Good hearty soup for a cold, windy night. I'm cooking a batch now for dinner.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• That looks good, too, hostile. Does it turn out something like a cassoulet? That's what it reminds me of a bit. Throw in a leg of duck confit and you're on your way!
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          That looks good, too, hostile. Does it turn out something like a cassoulet? That's what it reminds me of a bit. Throw in a leg of duck confit and you're on your way!
          It's sort of a poor man's cassoulet. I've got a few ducks in the freezer; I may add some next time I make it.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Saturday made some of happyone's ham and potato soup. Delish. Everyone loved it. Simple to make.

I modded it a tad for the local crowd. Used lard instead of bacon fat (just for convenience, no other reason) and it tasted great. I used the lard in the stock and in the roux. I added minced cloves of garlic when browning the onions. Also wound up adding garlic salt to the creamy stock. I used red potatoes, didn't peel them, just cubed them. Yum. And I used thick cut capicola ham. Yowza!

Finally, for a fun touch, I served in bread bowls topped with some of the gru that I had leftover from popovers. The Puffies liked eating the bread bowl. And the soup was great on a cold day.

Thanks again happyone. A nice easy recipe.

Next up I want to try the funks smoky tomato soup.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              Here you go. Enjoy.

wuap's Green Pozole

(DDD, please note the correct spelling)

You can serve it with tostadas, avocado chunks, radish slices, or my favorite, Fritos scoops.
              wuap, I was just reading a bit more about pozole. I don't know if wiki is right, but the article claims that the pre-columbians consumed pozole on special occasions and that it was a ritualistic food.

Generally, at these rituals, human sacrifices were made and the special meat used in the pozole was far more repulsive than a hog's head could ever be...

Comment

• Mom just started a big batch of posole for dinner tonight.

So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Best Soup Recipes

I didn't see a thread for this. Here is a great recipe. This soup can be frozen and reheated.

Summer Squash Bisque

Known for its delicate flavor, summer squash includes varieties such as zucchini, crookneck and scallop squash. All parts of summer squash are edible, including the skin, which provides the full benefits of antioxidants. Enjoy this simple recipe, which can be served warm or chilled.

Ingredients

1 cup chopped shallots
                  1/2 cup chopped green onion
                  2 garlic cloves, minced
                  4 medium zucchini, chopped
                  2 small yellow summer squash, chopped
                  1 cup peeled and cubed Idaho potatoes
                  4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
                  2 cups chopped kale
                  1 teaspoon dried tarragon
                  1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
                  6 thin slices zucchini (for garnish)
                  6 thin slices yellow summer squash (for garnish)

Directions

Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Sauté shallots, green onions and garlic until tender. Add chopped zucchini, yellow squash and potatoes. Sauté for 5 to 8 minutes. Add broth, kale and tarragon to saucepan; heat to boil and reduce heat to simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Process soup in food processor or blender until smooth and return to saucepan. Stir in half-and-half. Serve warm or chilled with a slice of zucchini and summer squash.

Serves 6.

Nutritional Information

Serving size: 1/6 of recipe. 100 calories, 5 calories from fat, 0 grams total fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 130 milligrams sodium, 7 grams total carbohydrate, 5 grams protein, 80 percent vitamin A, 80 percent vitamin C, 10 percent calcium, 10 percent iron.

Diabetic Exchange

Fruit: 0; vegetables: 2; meat: 0; milk: 0; fat: 0; carbs: 0; other: 0.

Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange. Exchanges are rounded up or down equal to whole numbers.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...highlight=soup
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• go away

sigpic

Comment

• Bump.

Also...I want to make Pho/Asian broths for some soups this winter.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                          I didn't see a thread for this. Here is a great recipe. This soup can be frozen and reheated.

Summer Squash Bisque

Known for its delicate flavor, summer squash includes varieties such as zucchini, crookneck and scallop squash. All parts of summer squash are edible, including the skin, which provides the full benefits of antioxidants. Enjoy this simple recipe, which can be served warm or chilled.

Ingredients

1 cup chopped shallots
                          1/2 cup chopped green onion
                          2 garlic cloves, minced
                          4 medium zucchini, chopped
                          2 small yellow summer squash, chopped
                          1 cup peeled and cubed Idaho potatoes
                          4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
                          2 cups chopped kale
                          1 teaspoon dried tarragon
                          1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
                          6 thin slices zucchini (for garnish)
                          6 thin slices yellow summer squash (for garnish)

Directions

Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Sauté shallots, green onions and garlic until tender. Add chopped zucchini, yellow squash and potatoes. Sauté for 5 to 8 minutes. Add broth, kale and tarragon to saucepan; heat to boil and reduce heat to simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Process soup in food processor or blender until smooth and return to saucepan. Stir in half-and-half. Serve warm or chilled with a slice of zucchini and summer squash.

Serves 6.

Nutritional Information

Serving size: 1/6 of recipe. 100 calories, 5 calories from fat, 0 grams total fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 130 milligrams sodium, 7 grams total carbohydrate, 5 grams protein, 80 percent vitamin A, 80 percent vitamin C, 10 percent calcium, 10 percent iron.

Diabetic Exchange

Fruit: 0; vegetables: 2; meat: 0; milk: 0; fat: 0; carbs: 0; other: 0.

Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange. Exchanges are rounded up or down equal to whole numbers.
                          It's not summer anymore. Please post a fall squash recipe.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                            Bump.

Anyone have any ideas?
                            If you want pho Asian food, go to PF Changs.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                              Bump.

Anyone have any ideas?
                              Super easy. I generally make a dashi out of kombu. Basically buy some kombu (dried kelp) from your Asian market and boil it. Then take the kombu out. There is your dashi. I make an awase dashi too which is kombu and katsuobushi (bonito flakes). I've done it for homemade saimin and miso soup.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                Mom just started a big batch of posole for dinner tonight.

I haven't had time to do Wuap's recipe so I have been making a quick and easy posole. Not really authentic but it's quick and easy. I buy a Coscto roasted chicken and break it down into chunks. I'll make a broth out of the chicken bones with oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste along with some celery, carrots and onion (I even threw in some peppers from the garden). Then strain it all and with the broth add the chicken, hominy and diced green chiles. It's even easier if you have some stock on hand. Just made it the other night.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X