Christmas Food/Traditions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • happyone
    Board Bookworm
    • Mar 2009
    • 5398

    #31
    Our big dinner is Christmas Eve, so Christmas dinner/breakfast is piecing on leftovers from the night before.

    I also make my "Christmas Potatos" which are a variation on scalloped potatos made with gruyere cheese that we only have on Christmas, because of the price of gruyere.

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

    Comment

    • YOhio
      Hipster Mode
      • Nov 2008
      • 26165

      #32
      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      For lunch/dinner both of us really hated the big dinner idea. We buy some decent cold cuts, cheeses and breads and make sandwiches.
      Why do you hate the big dinner idea? I love Christmas dinner even more than Thanksgiving.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #33
        Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        Why do you hate the big dinner idea? I love Christmas dinner even more than Thanksgiving.
        I have a good friend who comes from a "big Christmas dinner" family. They actually get all dressed up for it...Sunday best, dresses, ties, etc. They take a family picture. They eat prime rib, etc.

        It actually sounds very cool, although it seems like a ton of work.

        On Christmas eve, I would rather be goofing around and having fun than prepping food for several hours and washing lots of dishes afterward. But we have toyed with the idea of getting gussied up and injecting a little more class into our Christmas Eve celebration.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #34
          Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          Why do you hate the big dinner idea? I love Christmas dinner even more than Thanksgiving.
          I just don't like it. I hate spending all day Christmas making food when I could be watching a movie or playing games with my kids.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • happyone
            Board Bookworm
            • Mar 2009
            • 5398

            #35
            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            I just don't like it. I hate spending all day Christmas making food when I could be watching a movie or playing games with my kids.

            I think this is main reason we have our big dinner on Chirstmas Eve.

            I may be small, but I'm slow.

            A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

            Comment

            • BoylenOver
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 9146

              #36
              I just bought a few items that will add a few pounds to my beanpole frame

              Christmas Tree Cakes


              Peppermint stick ice cream

              Cordial cherries

              Soft peppermint candies
              "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
              "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

              Comment

              • FN Phat
                I ♥ gateway sex
                • Feb 2009
                • 8691

                #37
                Christmas Eve we have hors d'oeuvres and tell family stories. Big dinner Christmas night.
                I'm your huckleberry.


                "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                Comment

                • John McClain
                  Comfortably Numb
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 1012

                  #38
                  Christmas Traditions

                  We are into diversity in our house. Our traditions start on December 13th, which is Santa Lucia day (Swedish). Santa Lucia (usually the oldest daughter but since all my daughters are now married the wife takes over the role again) wakes up the family with hot cross buns and hot chocolate. We also have New Mexico night with posole, tamales, chile con queso, biscochitos and chile, chile, chile. On English night, we go caroling and come home to baked ham, wassail and sugar cookies. For Christmas Eve we celebrate Le Reveillon (French) with prime rib, fruits and cheeses and a bouche de noel (French rolled Christmas cake to resemble a log). Christmas day we put out rolls, meats etc for do it yourself sandwiches. I say why limit yourself to one Christmas meal?
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment

                  • MarkGrace
                    Grooveshark dick tease
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 31546

                    #39
                    I just remembered candy cane joe joe's are out now. I need to get on that!
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                    Comment

                    • ERCougar
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10978

                      #40
                      Originally posted by John McClain View Post
                      We are into diversity in our house. Our traditions start on December 13th, which is Santa Lucia day (Swedish). Santa Lucia (usually the oldest daughter but since all my daughters are now married the wife takes over the role again) wakes up the family with hot cross buns and hot chocolate. We also have New Mexico night with posole, tamales, chile con queso, biscochitos and chile, chile, chile. On English night, we go caroling and come home to baked ham, wassail and sugar cookies. For Christmas Eve we celebrate Le Reveillon (French) with prime rib, fruits and cheeses and a bouche de noel (French rolled Christmas cake to resemble a log). Christmas day we put out rolls, meats etc for do it yourself sandwiches. I say why limit yourself to one Christmas meal?
                      That's a great tradition.

                      Another idea to add - Galette des rois (King's Cake). Recipe on allrecipes is easy and pretty authentic-tasting. In France, this is traditionally eaten on January 6, "L'Ascencion", which is the day after the 12th day of Christmas, and commemorates the visit of the Three Wise Men. You hide a little ceramic baby Jesus (or coin or whatever) in the cake somewhere and whoever gets it in their piece gets to be King/Queen for the day. We've done this every year with our kids and they love it.
                      Last edited by ERCougar; 12-12-2009, 12:38 AM.
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                      Comment

                      • landpoke
                        Never once baby snatched
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 4183

                        #41
                        And still all the haters are hatin' on the best thing about the holidays:

                        Green Bean Casserole



                        Mmmm, mmmm good.
                        There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                        Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                        Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                        Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                        …
                        Tomorrow is Saturday
                        And Sunday comes afterwards

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #42
                          Please make sure that I am squarely on the list of "haters" of green bean casserole at Christmas time (or any time).

                          TIA.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69706

                            #43
                            Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                            And still all the haters are hatin' on the best thing about the holidays:

                            Green Bean Casserole



                            Mmmm, mmmm good.
                            This is the opposite of food porn. What is the proper term for that?
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • landpoke
                              Never once baby snatched
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 4183

                              #44
                              To hate Green Bean Casserole is to hate America. Commies.
                              There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                              Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                              Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                              Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                              …
                              Tomorrow is Saturday
                              And Sunday comes afterwards

                              Comment

                              • Surfah
                                Where's Wallace?
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 33726

                                #45
                                I had the best sweet potato casserole yesterday at a Christmas party. It was topped with coconut and nuts. It tasted like a macaroon on top of a sweet potato. It was awesome. I should have got a recipe.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...