Christmas Food/Traditions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #16
    My wife's dad grew up Catholic so her family always eats fish on Christmas Eve. I usually grill up some salmon or make fish tacos. Christmas morning is orange rolls and fruit juice.

    Comment

    • Solon
      Lost in the flood
      • Nov 2008
      • 5747

      #17
      Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
      Here's where you can post your particularly egregious recipes for fruitcake or for your mom's famous gingerbread recipe. I'd love to find out what traditions your families have and swap recipes.

      Mpfunk and I make bacon spinach quiche Christmas morning. It is delicious and fairly easy. It can be prepared the night before and reheats beautifully.

      Ingredients:
      • 6 large eggs, beaten
      • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
      • Salt and pepper
      • 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach, packed
      • 1 pound thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
      • 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
      • 1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust, fitted to a 9-inch glass pie plate

      Directions

      Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
      Combine the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender. Layer the spinach, bacon, and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture on top. Place pie dish on a baking sheet to catch spills. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the egg mixture is set. Cut into 8 wedges.



      It's hardly healthy and light, but fantastic.


      We also include gourmet mac and cheese and biscuits for Christmas Eve spread. Hooray for food!


      Great idea. I learned how to make quiche on my mission in France. Too bad my wife hates it and I never make it.

      One secret I learned is to use nutmeg. It makes a difference (IMO).

      Also, you gotta make your own crust.
      "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
      -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

      Comment

      • Solon
        Lost in the flood
        • Nov 2008
        • 5747

        #18
        Originally posted by Solon View Post
        Great idea. I learned how to make quiche on my mission in France. Too bad my wife hates it and I never make it.

        One secret I learned is to use nutmeg. It makes a difference (IMO).

        Also, you gotta make your own crust.
        I'm in the market for a gingerbread recipe. A couple I've tried are only so-so. Maybe gingerbread is meant to be so-so. Anyone have a home-run?
        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

        Comment

        • wuapinmon
          Soul Plumber
          • Dec 2008
          • 30711

          #19
          Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Our only real Christmas food tradition is Hawaiian sweet bread. Oh how I hated getting up at 7 in the morning to kneed that shit on Christmas Eve.
          Why didn't you just use your hands? I'm sure it would've been much more efficient.
          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

          Comment

          • MarkGrace
            Grooveshark dick tease
            • Dec 2008
            • 31546

            #20
            Oops...knead.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #21
              We make pizzas on Christmas Eve.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • Donuthole
                Official Outgayer
                • Nov 2008
                • 25270

                #22
                Originally posted by Solon View Post
                I'm in the market for a gingerbread recipe. A couple I've tried are only so-so. Maybe gingerbread is meant to be so-so. Anyone have a home-run?
                I have never had gingerbread as good as my mom's gingersnaps, so I don't even bother making it. I'll post the gingersnap recipe when I get home if anyone is interested.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                Comment

                • FN Phat
                  I ♥ gateway sex
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 8691

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  I have never had gingerbread as good as my mom's gingersnaps, so I don't even bother making it. I'll post the gingersnap recipe when I get home if anyone is interested.

                  I love gingersnaps.

                  My mom makes a pumpkin roll every Holiday Season. It is awesome. She didn't have any pumpkin this Thanksgiving, so she used sweet potatoes. I couldn't tell the difference.

                  We usually open half of the gifts in the morning, eat a big breakfast, and then open the rest afterwards. I am not sure why or when it started, but that is the way it has been for years. My wife hates it as her family is the complete opposite.
                  I'm your huckleberry.


                  "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                  Comment

                  • BoylenOver
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 9146

                    #24
                    Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                    As long as it ain't sweetbread.

                    We make chex mix. A holdover from my wife's family.
                    My dad makes Chex Mix all December. I love that stuff.

                    Christmas Eve my mom, brothers and I get fast food or pizza for dinner, then we go look at Christmas lights. Christmas day, my dad and stepmom make Eggs Benedict and ham.
                    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                    Comment

                    • cougjunkie
                      *Banned*
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 23223

                      #25
                      Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                      Eggs, potato, cheese, sausage... that breakfast casserole?

                      Mmmmmm....
                      Yep.
                      *Banned*

                      Comment

                      • Babs
                        Not a Lawyer
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 17128

                        #26
                        Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        My wife makes a breakfast casserole for christmas morning.
                        We do this, too. Every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, I make a mixed berries french-toast breakfast dish that is sooooooo yummy.

                        Comment

                        • statman
                          Rabblerouser
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 2799

                          #27
                          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          my wife's family makes a GERD-inducing concoction called "Slush."

                          In a non-reactive pot, on med-high heat (at least 3 days before serving), combine:

                          1 large bottle California Style Sunny-D
                          2 cups sugar
                          1 can pineapple juice
                          1 tiny can grapefruit juice
                          2 cans FCOJ (do not add water)
                          2 packages Flav-o-aid Raspberry drink mix (do not add water)

                          Stir until it feels as mixed as it can get...do not allow to boil. Set aside, covered, and allow it to cool to room temperature. Then place it in the freezer (preferably a deep-freeze). About every 6-8 hours, give it a good stir. When it freezes (it will not freeze solid) the wooden stirring spoon where it can stand upright without falling over, it's ready.

                          Scoop out and serve with (cold) Sprite poured over it--be sure to give the drinker a spoon.

                          It is insanely sweet and tasty. I do not recommend more than one tiny, (5-6oz) serving at a time, but you will love it. Everyone who tries it likes it, or is too polite to wretch in front of my wife.
                          My mom used to make that stuff every Christmas as well. Tasty stuff...

                          Comment

                          • Portland Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 5647

                            #28
                            My grandmother makes Frankfurter Kranz "cake."

                            We quite often eat 'rouladen' and spetzel.

                            My aunt makes a breakfast casserole she calls egg-strata and the most insanely perfect orange rolls in the known universe. The rolls are not frosted, they are glazed with a homemade glaze that has bits of orange peel in it.

                            They are not so sweet as to slow you down, yet are addictive and yUUUUUUmy.

                            Also, lebkuchen. Yum.
                            Last edited by Portland Ute; 12-01-2009, 11:07 PM.

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37992

                              #29
                              Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                              We usually open half of the gifts in the morning, eat a big breakfast, and then open the rest afterwards. I am not sure why or when it started, but that is the way it has been for years. My wife hates it as her family is the complete opposite.
                              I guess that means your wife's family eats half of a big breakfast, then opens all the gifts, then eats the other half of the breakfast? That's just weird.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                                Time to camp
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 26082

                                #30
                                My family has 2 food traditions on Christmas, one is a hold over from my youth, the other is a new to the HFN-ldc family.

                                For breakfast we have Strawberry and Ice Cream waffles. This is the one that comes from my family. Fresh waffles, not Bisquick or some other instant variety, topped with vanilla ice cream, strawberries and whip cream.

                                For lunch/dinner both of us really hated the big dinner idea. We buy some decent cold cuts, cheeses and breads and make sandwiches.

                                We are pretty fancy people though.
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

                                Comment

                                Working...