Friday Night Lights

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sizzle
    #ThisIsY
    • Nov 2008
    • 9004

    #1

    Friday Night Lights

    Why did it take me this long to get into the show? About halfway done with season one. Solid writing, good charachter develoment and an interesting plot line. Hopefully the next seasons aren't let downs.
  • DrumNFeather
    Invisible Swordsman
    • Nov 2008
    • 8854

    #2
    It has been pretty good so far three seasons in. It'll be interesting to see how it morphs through the years.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

    Comment

    • Jarid in Cedar
      CS Institutional Memory
      • Jun 2009
      • 13234

      #3
      It will be interesting to see if anyone actually graduates in 3-5 years.
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

      "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

      "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

      -Rick Majerus

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #4
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • RobinFinderson
          Banned
          • Nov 2008
          • 10548

          #5
          This show is great. We have been watching it from the beginning. The music is cool, the actors all do a fine job (albeit a bit melodramatic), the stories are good, it is uplifting in a warm fuzzy way that missionaries would love to bottle and unleash on unsuspecting investigators (that is the spirit you are feeling, and it is telling you that you should be a Mormon). I'm surprised this show hasn't been discussed here before. Oh, and all of the youth have sex, which is an interesting fact for several reasons. 1.) It is otherwise a squeaky clean family show. 2.) They don't feel shame about having sex, except when they are cheating on their friends. 3.) The sex is shown to be just a normal part of teenage life. Even the 'good girl' is very sexually active.

          Comment

          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
            Time to camp
            • Nov 2008
            • 26082

            #6
            I lost interest in season 3. They seemed to forget what class people were in, somehow Riggins was a 5th year senior? Other questions that didn't make any sense, but I won't ask as to not post spoilers for Sizzle.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

            Comment

            • RobinFinderson
              Banned
              • Nov 2008
              • 10548

              #7
              Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              I lost interest in season 3. They seemed to forget what class people were in, somehow Riggins was a 5th year senior? Other questions that didn't make any sense, but I won't ask as to not post spoilers for Sizzle.
              Booo! Riggins was a sophomore in Season 1. Do the math. It adds up.

              Comment

              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                Time to camp
                • Nov 2008
                • 26082

                #8
                Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                Booo! Riggins was a sophomore in Season 1. Do the math. It adds up.
                Makes sense that he was best friends with Street (unless you are going to contend that Street wasn't a Senior in season 1 which just means you weren't paying attention) and planed on going being his entourage then.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

                Comment

                • Hot Lunch
                  Out of Office
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7842

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                  It will be interesting to see if anyone actually graduates in 3-5 years.
                  It is Texas..... Hell no.
                  "Take it to the Bank"

                  Comment

                  • venkman
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 2199

                    #10
                    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                    Booo! Riggins was a sophomore in Season 1. Do the math. It adds up.
                    I don't think it was ever mentioned what grade he was in. Watching season 1, you kind of assume he's an upperclassman: team star, team leader, best friends with the veteran star QB (who is assumed to be a Sr. because he's getting D1 schollie offers), banging his 30 year old neighbor, etc. Not your typical sophomore.

                    I think that part was intentionally left vague so that in case the show was renewed they could bring him back for a couple of years.
                    "Remember to double tap"

                    Comment

                    • MarkGrace
                      Grooveshark dick tease
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 31546

                      #11
                      Originally posted by venkman View Post
                      I don't think it was ever mentioned what grade he was in. Watching season 1, you kind of assume he's an upperclassman: team star, team leader, best friends with the veteran star QB (who is assumed to be a Sr. because he's getting D1 schollie offers), banging his 30 year old neighbor, etc. Not your typical sophomore.

                      I think that part was intentionally left vague so that in case the show was renewed they could bring him back for a couple of years.
                      Exactly. Street was definitely a senior, but Riggins was always kind of vague. You assumed he was as well given his standing on the team and among the circle of friends, but they never outright said it.

                      The other one that was kind of vague was Landry. Given his friendship with Matt, you kind of assumed they were in the same class. But they've put him the grade behind.

                      It will be interesting to see if anyone actually graduates in 3-5 years.
                      Street, Riggins, Lila, Tyra, Matt, Smash, etc. have all graduated. The only characters from season 1 that haven't are Julie and Landry. What else do you want?
                      Last edited by MarkGrace; 08-28-2009, 09:01 AM.
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                      Comment

                      • MarkGrace
                        Grooveshark dick tease
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 31546

                        #12
                        Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        I lost interest in season 3. They seemed to forget what class people were in, somehow Riggins was a 5th year senior? Other questions that didn't make any sense, but I won't ask as to not post spoilers for Sizzle.
                        I don't know that this will be much of a spoiler for Sizzle when he realizes that you can go from Soph, to Jr., to Sr. in 3 seasons. It kind of makes sense.
                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                        Comment

                        • RobinFinderson
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10548

                          #13
                          ******SPOILER BELOW********












                          Didn't one of the seasons basically cover the post-season after the Panthers lost a state championship? I'm forgetting the details here.
                          Last edited by RobinFinderson; 08-28-2009, 08:43 AM.

                          Comment

                          • MarkGrace
                            Grooveshark dick tease
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 31546

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                            Why did it take me this long to get into the show? About halfway done with season one. Solid writing, good charachter develoment and an interesting plot line. Hopefully the next seasons aren't let downs.
                            Season two takes a bit of a dip. The situations/characters are a bit forced, and the writer's strike took its toll on the end of the season. Season 3, however, was a major bounce back and I think the best season so far. All of my favorite FNL episodes occur during this season, including one which I told my wife was one of the 5-10 best episodes of TV I had ever seen. The show can be extremely moving. I love it.
                            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                            Comment

                            • MarkGrace
                              Grooveshark dick tease
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 31546

                              #15
                              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              Didn't one of the seasons basically cover the post-season after the Panthers lost a state championship? I'm forgetting the details here.
                              Dude, you're ruining it for the Sizz! Spoiler below


























                              Season 2 was cut short because of the writer's strike. The season hadn't been completely written, so at the beginning of season 3 they basically flashback to what happened at the end of season 2.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                              Comment

                              Working...