The HBO Original Programming Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Non Sequitur
    replied
    Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    For those of us a certain age, there were 2 shows we were guaranteed to see when staying home from school - The Price is Right and Perry Mason (reruns). I tried to watch the Perry Mason reboot on HBO. I couldn't make it through 2 episodes. It was boring, poorly written, and overboard in its attempt to get away from the PG version of the original series.
    The project was doomed from the beginning. A reboot of a series about a principled lawyer, a principled criminal defense lawyer at that, is more fantasy than The Book of Boba Fett.

    Leave a comment:


  • old_gregg
    replied
    Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

    No. It has it's funny moments, but it's lame. I watched the first episode of season 2 and I really don't see a reason to watch the rest of it. I'm tapping out.
    like all things adam devine, his character sucks

    Leave a comment:


  • old_gregg
    replied
    Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Outside of Tropic thunder and Your Highness, I’ve never been a fan of Danny McBride.
    eastbound?!

    Leave a comment:


  • falafel
    replied
    Outside of Tropic thunder and Your Highness, I’ve never been a fan of Danny McBride.

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyFunkhouser
    replied
    I'm loving Season 2 of the Righteous Gemstones. Big fan.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pelado
    replied
    Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    For those of us a certain age, there were 2 shows we were guaranteed to see when staying home from school - The Price is Right and Perry Mason (reruns). I tried to watch the Perry Mason reboot on HBO. I couldn't make it through 2 episodes. It was boring, poorly written, and overboard in its attempt to get away from the PG version of the original series.
    Especially for those of us whose mothers really liked young Raymond Burr.

    Leave a comment:


  • Art Vandelay
    replied
    Originally posted by falafel View Post

    Should have tried harder. I thought it was great.

    Of course, I DGAF about the old PM reruns or what the character was like.
    I'll give it another shot. I think its only 8 or 10 episodes long. So not too much of a time commitment.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northwestcoug
    replied
    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    How's season 2 of Righteous Gemstones? I loved Season 1.
    Ha I just answered your question above. Don't bother.

    Leave a comment:


  • jay santos
    replied
    How's season 2 of Righteous Gemstones? I loved Season 1.

    I was needing a show and tried out Succession based on the reviews here. I've thought about it several times since it's come out, but every time I try, it felt too hard to care about all these characters that were all so deplorable. But I gave it a few episodes and have really enjoyed it. In season 3 now, it seems to be stalling out a bit, but it's been some good television so far.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northwestcoug
    replied
    Also, the dong:boobies ratio is way way too high.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northwestcoug
    replied
    Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    righteous gemstones
    No. It has it's funny moments, but it's lame. I watched the first episode of season 2 and I really don't see a reason to watch the rest of it. I'm tapping out.

    Leave a comment:


  • falafel
    replied
    Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    For those of us a certain age, there were 2 shows we were guaranteed to see when staying home from school - The Price is Right and Perry Mason (reruns). I tried to watch the Perry Mason reboot on HBO. I couldn't make it through 2 episodes. It was boring, poorly written, and overboard in its attempt to get away from the PG version of the original series.
    Should have tried harder. I thought it was great.

    Of course, I DGAF about the old PM reruns or what the character was like.

    Leave a comment:


  • Art Vandelay
    replied
    For those of us a certain age, there were 2 shows we were guaranteed to see when staying home from school - The Price is Right and Perry Mason (reruns). I tried to watch the Perry Mason reboot on HBO. I couldn't make it through 2 episodes. It was boring, poorly written, and overboard in its attempt to get away from the PG version of the original series.

    Leave a comment:


  • PaloAltoCougar
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Anyone plan on watching The Gilded Age? Premiere is tonight. Written and produced by Julian Fellowes, who gave us Downton Abbey. This time the series is set in 1880's America and features wealthy families in NY.

    Reviews have been interesting. The big rags like NYT and WaPo have been panning it, but most other reviews are very positive (84% on RT). It seems as if the big woke papers can't bring themselves to say something positive about a series focusing on rich folks. That's my theory anyway.
    We've had it season-passed for several days now. Downton Abbey and the Robber Barons, perhaps. I'm expecting something like Martin Scorsese's The Age of Innocence, which he described as the most violent movie he ever directed (despite the absence of gunplay).

    Leave a comment:


  • Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Anyone plan on watching The Gilded Age? Premiere is tonight. Written and produced by Julian Fellowes, who gave us Downton Abbey. This time the series is set in 1880's America and features wealthy families in NY.

    Reviews have been interesting. The big rags like NYT and WaPo have been panning it, but most other reviews are very positive (84% on RT). It seems as if the big woke papers can't bring themselves to say something positive about a series focusing on rich folks. That's my theory anyway.

    Leave a comment:

Working...