District 9

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LiveCoug
    LA Ute loves me
    • Nov 2008
    • 18488

    #16
    Just watched it for the first time... I enjoyed it. It was unique and well done. It was actually NOTHING like I thought it would be and that was a good thing. As for the cursing, I truly didn't even notice due to the accent. It was almost the same as hearing "frick/ing", or "flip/ping".

    The ending did not lead me to believe there will be a sequel, but maybe that's just me.

    Comment

    • Color Me Badd Fan
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 12519

      #17
      Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
      Just watched it for the first time... I enjoyed it. It was unique and well done. It was actually NOTHING like I thought it would be and that was a good thing. As for the cursing, I truly didn't even notice due to the accent. It was almost the same as hearing "frick/ing", or "flip/ping".

      The ending did not lead me to believe there will be a sequel, but maybe that's just me.
      There's going to be a sequel and the rumor is that pre-production has already started with filming set to begin this October. That figures into a July-August 2011 release, or maybe Christmas 2011.



      In my original post I thought the movie would make $300 million worldwide, but in reality it only made $210 million. That's still an excellent ROI. Surprisingly a foreign film made a majority of its money in the US.
      Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 05-26-2010, 02:26 PM.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

      Comment

      • Shaka
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 10450

        #18
        I loved some of the inside jokes that only South Africans would understand. For instance the main character's name is Wikus(Vickers) van de Merwe. The South African version of a polack joke uses the surname van de Merwe to describe a dumb Afrikaaner (South African of Dutch decent) who is usually the butt of the joke. A typical van de Merwe joke might start the following way:

        van de merwe walked into a bar....

        or

        Wanna hear a dirty joke?
        Van der Merwe slipped and fell in the mud!

        The movie character Vickers was the epitome of a dumb Afrikaaner.

        Comment

        Working...