Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    I think it's A thousand splendid suns.

I only say this because I loved the book too.
    Ha. Thanks.

When I was typing that out it didn't seem right but I hit the submit button anyway.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I put both his other novels on hold at the Library, and am eager to read them. And the Mountains Echoed got some good buzz last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I liked his second book also (The Warmth of a Thousand Suns).
        Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        I think it's A thousand splendid suns.

I only say this because I loved the book too.
        Yep. I think I liked it even better than the Kite Runner.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Finished A Thousand Splendid Suns as well as And The Mountains Echoed. Enjoyed both immensely. Mr. Hosseini is a very talented story teller.

Comment

• Reading Alas Babylon. Really good back so far. It's also awesome to read how my town got nuked!!! :-)

Comment

• At my daughter's insistence, I just read The Fault in Our Stars. Outstanding.

Now I am just starting The Goldfinch. 800 pages? Yikes. Wish me luck.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Just finished Gone Girl. I know I'm 2 years late on that, but if you haven't read it, it's a very good, suspenseful read.

Originally posted by JeffLebowski
                Ha ha, Jeff, we all know that's about your weekly page total. The Goldfinch was an excellent book, but I'd like to have seen the middle portion of the story pared down quite a bit.
                Last edited by SteelBlue; 07-23-2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• The Longlist for the Booker prize was announced today. This is the first year in the prize's history that American's have been eligible and 4 have been nominated. Typically a great list from which to choose a can't miss read. I have already read one from this year's list: Orfeo by Powers. The guy is a genius, but the book was a tough read for me as it required a knowledge of music theory and classical music history to fully understand. Having the gaps in your knowledge exposed for 300+ pages isn't always pleasant. Anyway, here's the longlist.

http://www.themanbookerprize.com/new...2014-announced

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/24/bo...nced.html?_r=0
                  The decision to celebrate all authors “whether from Chicago, Sheffield or Shanghai” has rankled some purists; until last year, the 50,000 pound, or roughly $85,000, prize was restricted to authors from Britain, the other countries in the Commonwealth, as well as Ireland and Zimbabwe.

But A. C. Grayling, the British philosopher and writer who chairs the new and expanded panel of six judges, has called the change an “exciting” challenge. He said 2014 would be a “highly significant year” for the prize.

Judges now have until Sept. 9 to whittle down the number of contenders to a shortlist of six. The winner is expected to be announced on Oct. 14.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I'm about 50% through on my Kindle app. I kind of liked not knowing how many pages the book was.

Regardless, I am absolutely loving this book. One of the best books I've read in quite some time. It does seem to be one of those books that people either love or hate though. My mom and dad both hated it, while my grandma loved it.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Just finished Chang-rae Lee's On Such a Full Sea. It's a dystopian novel set in the US at some unspecified time in the future. I'd read a lot of negative reader reviews on Amazon and goodreads , but I think that perhaps many were sci-fi fans expecting a faster pace and more "sci". I thought it was a good, thought provoking read.

Comment

• I finished The Good Lord Bird a week or so ago. I really enjoyed it. Who knew Old John Brown could be so much fun.

Comment

• Our visit to France and Austria has me interested in WWII. I'm now reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich," which is both fascinating and depressing. I'm in the section describing Hitler's beginnings as a leader just after World War I. What especially fascinates me is the question of how a nation like Germany, which gave the world Luther, Kant, Goethe, Bach, Beethoven and Brahms, fell under the spell of such a crazy, brutish man and perpetrated such a catastrophic war on the entire world.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                            What especially fascinates me is the question of how a nation like Germany, which gave the world Luther, Kant, Goethe, Bach, Beethoven and Brahms, fell under the spell of such a crazy, brutish man and perpetrated such a catastrophic war on the entire world.
                            lol. that's deep.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              lol. that's deep.
                              Don't you have some research to do for TMZ?
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                                Our visit to France and Austria has me interested in WWII. I'm now reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich," which is both fascinating and depressing. I'm in the section describing Hitler's beginnings as a leader just after World War I. What especially fascinates me is the question of how a nation like Germany, which gave the world Luther, Kant, Goethe, Bach, Beethoven and Brahms, fell under the spell of such a crazy, brutish man and perpetrated such a catastrophic war on the entire world.
                                Great book - a must read for anyone interested in WW II!

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Working...
                                X