What's the first pop song / hit you remember?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #16
    2 songs that Casey Kasem loved to spin:

    Sugarhill Gang, Rapper's Delight: "the macaroni's soggy, the peas are mushed and the chicken tastes like wood..."

    Rolling Stones, Miss You: "I've been stumblin' on my feet, shuffling through the street....asking people.....WHAT'S THE MATTER WITCH'YOU BOY?!"

    I have pretty clear recollection of hearing these on my brother's stereo and thinking they were funny and cool because of the lyrics.

    Well, that's all for now. Until the next time, keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • marsupial
      Mississippi Queen
      • Nov 2008
      • 3678

      #17
      We got satellite TV about the time MTV was born. I remember really liking the song Freeze Frame by the J Geils Band. I would have been about 4 when the song came out and the paint fight in the video sticks out in my mind.
      [YOUTUBE]wHo43B6nu60[/YOUTUBE]

      I also remember liking Hit Me with Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar and Jump and Panama by Van Halen.

      The first tape that was my very own was Tina Turner, Private Dancer. My cousin was sick of it and gave it to me. Second was John Cougar Mellencamp, Scarecrow. This I begged for in the store. I was in third grade.
      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
      -Teenage Dirtbag

      Comment

      • Babs
        Not a Lawyer
        • Nov 2008
        • 17128

        #18
        Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
        Not something your parents or older siblings listened to but you and your peers?
        you give love a bad name.

        Comment

        • SteelBlue
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 8190

          #19
          Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
          For me it would probably be Another One Bites The Dust by Queen.
          That's probably mine as well. The first records I bought were singles on 45 and were "Whip It" by Devo and "Woman" by John Lennon.

          Comment

          • Donuthole
            Official Outgayer
            • Nov 2008
            • 25278

            #20
            Kokomo. I was in 4th grade, and I recorded it off the radio. Then I recorded it onto another tape 10 times in a row. The last time it played on side A, it stopped right at "We'll perfect our . . .", and then picked up with ". . . chemistry, by and by we'll defy . . ." on side B. I listened to that thing so many times that, even today, every time I hear that song I expect it to stop in the same spot.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

            There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

            Comment

            • UtahDan
              *
              • Nov 2008
              • 14496

              #21
              Beat it.

              Comment

              • Jarid in Cedar
                CS Institutional Memory
                • Jun 2009
                • 13234

                #22
                Mr. Roboto
                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                -Rick Majerus

                Comment

                • YOhio
                  Hipster Mode
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26165

                  #23
                  Joan Jett - Bad Reputation

                  Comment

                  • MarkGrace
                    Grooveshark dick tease
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 31546

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    Kokomo. I was in 4th grade, and I recorded it off the radio. Then I recorded it onto another tape 10 times in a row. The last time it played on side A, it stopped right at "We'll perfect our . . .", and then picked up with ". . . chemistry, by and by we'll defy . . ." on side B. I listened to that thing so many times that, even today, every time I hear that song I expect it to stop in the same spot.
                    I remember that one well, too.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                    Comment

                    • Sizzle
                      #ThisIsY
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 9004

                      #25
                      Not sure. It could be "Jump" by Kris Kross, "Can't Touch This" by Hammer (or at that time MC Hammer) but there is probably something before that that I am forgetting.

                      Kokomo could be it, but since it was "Beach Boys", it may fall under my parents music.

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 38003

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        Kokomo. I was in 4th grade, and I recorded it off the radio. Then I recorded it onto another tape 10 times in a row. The last time it played on side A, it stopped right at "We'll perfect our . . .", and then picked up with ". . . chemistry, by and by we'll defy . . ." on side B. I listened to that thing so many times that, even today, every time I hear that song I expect it to stop in the same spot.
                        Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                        I remember that one well, too.
                        Hey, we all remember it. But we didn't all put it on perpetual repeat. Jeez!
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • YOhio
                          Hipster Mode
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26165

                          #27
                          Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          You all know it. It went like this: Duh, duh, duh-ta-da-duh-duh, duh, duh, duh-ta-da-duh-duh, dut-dut-dut-duh-dut-duh-duh-duh; Duh, duh, duh-ta-da-duh-duh, duh, duh, duh-ta-da-duh-duh, dut-dut-dut-duh-dut-duh-duh-duh [insert synth drum riff here]. Then it went Nuh nuh na-nuh na-nuh nuh nuh, etc.
                          I LOVE that song!

                          [YOUTUBE]avCeJnw9WbQ[/YOUTUBE]

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #28
                            Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            For me, I think it was a song that everyone knows, but that very few people (that I know) know the name of. Its an instrumntal synthesizer pop song that my friends and I used to try and break to. I want to say it was in an 80s Eddie Murphy movie. Its also in that Family Guy episode where Peter goes back in time to when he was dating Lois, but keeps ditching her to go clubbing with Cleveland, who's dressed like MJ with the red leather jacket and white glove.

                            You all know it. It went like this: Duh, duh, duh-ta-da-duh-duh, duh, duh, duh-ta-da-duh-duh, dut-dut-dut-duh-dut-duh-duh-duh; Duh, duh, duh-ta-da-duh-duh, duh, duh, duh-ta-da-duh-duh, dut-dut-dut-duh-dut-duh-duh-duh [insert synth drum riff here]. Then it went Nuh nuh na-nuh na-nuh nuh nuh, etc.
                            I love the attitude of this post. It basically says, "Everyone must like the same music as me and everyone should know exactly what song I am talking about."

                            By the way, there is only ONE Eddie Murphy movie.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 38003

                              #29
                              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              I LOVE that song!
                              *sigh, shakes head*

                              I said "Duh, duh, duh-ta-da-duh-duh, duh, duh, duh-ta-da-duh-duh, dut-dut-dut-duh-dut-duh-duh-duh"

                              That song goes "Dut-dut duh-da, dut duh-da duh, Dut-dut duh-da, dut duh-da duh, etc."

                              They couldn't BE more different.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • YOhio
                                Hipster Mode
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 26165

                                #30
                                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                I love the attitude of this post. It basically says, "Everyone must like the same music as me and everyone should know exactly what song I am talking about."

                                By the way, there is only ONE Eddie Murphy movie.
                                Hold your fire man. I know you want to zing Falafel for basically destroying you and embarrassing you in front of all your friends, but that just wasn't the right time.

                                Comment

                                Working...