No announcement yet.

FX's The Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great season this has been. Phillip telling Gabriel at the end that "you're my problem right now" was pretty great. Langella has been great in the role -- portraying the handler that tries to act like he has only the best intentions for those underneath him, but you know that he's a party guy through and through when push comes to shove.

Between the guy being lit on fire last week, and Elizabeth having to slowly kill the kind old woman (or watch the woman slowly kill herself), it seems like the show is trying to portray the toll this is taking on these two. It's pretty clear to me that Phillip would defect in a heartbeat if Elizabeth were on board. But the only way he makes a clean break of things without having to go into hiding is if he deals with the FBI directly. And if he goes to the FBI by himself, they'll prosecute (or deport/trade to the USSR) his childrens' mother, which is something that Phillip, right now, is not willing to do. But if it comes down to a choice of defecting to the FBI without Elizabeth or allowing Paige to become a Soviet operative, I think Phillip is going to choose his daughter over Elizabeth.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I started watching this three weeks ago and am nearing the end of Season 2 (I've tried to avoid the more recent Season 3 discussion here). The other night I watched the Martial Eagle episode where they scope out the Contra training camp. At the end of the episode I was rather surprised to see one of the writers was Oliver North. Now I'd guess he might be one of the most qualified people on the planet to work on that particular story line, but still... It was also interesting that the whole Contra thing isn't very flattering to the U.S., but Ollie was apparently on board with it. My only regret is that Fawn Hall was not featured.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        I started watching this three weeks ago and am nearing the end of Season 2 (I've tried to avoid the more recent Season 3 discussion here). The other night I watched the Martial Eagle episode where they scope out the Contra training camp. At the end of the episode I was rather surprised to see one of the writers was Oliver North. Now I'd guess he might be one of the most qualified people on the planet to work on that particular story line, but still... It was also interesting that the whole Contra thing isn't very flattering to the U.S., but Ollie was apparently on board with it. My only regret is that Fawn Hall was not featured.
        Here you go. http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...uRT_story.html

Pretty lady, but the three distinct shades of teeth on the right side of her grill is not very flattering.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
          Here you go. http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...uRT_story.html

Pretty lady, but the three distinct shades of teeth on the right side of her grill is not very flattering.
          Her new husband, a recovering drug addict, admitted in a 1995 interview that soon after their “fairy-tale” wedding he introduced her to crack.
          That does sound magical.

Comment

This show has a knack for ratcheting up the tension in new and different ways each week. Great stuff and it was just renewed for a fourth season.

Lots of 1982 movies this week: "The Verdict", "Tootsie", "Dark Crystal", and "Tron" each were mentioned or shown. And of course the pop culture highlight of the episode was Henry's Eddie Murphy impression.

Comment

Great episode this week. I keep waiting for the day where Philip kills Martha

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                Great episode this week. I keep waiting for the day where Philip kills Martha
                Or she kills herself with that gun she bought last season.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                  Or she kills herself with that gun she bought last season.
                  Maybe she already has. Note the empty desk when Stan came back from the interrogation.
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Promo for the M*A*S*H series finale on the TV in the background puts the timeline of the show just before February 28, 1983. Going off the title of next week's show the Cold War is about to escalate. Pretty poor timing for telling your teenage daughter you're Soviet spies and convincing her of the rightness of the cause.

I thought Martha for sure was going to kill herself after her phone call to her mother. When "Clark" walked into her apartment I was waiting for the camera to pan over to her corpse. Now that see has seen Phillip I can't think of anyway she doesn't die next week.

Comment

This show is so damn good.

Comment

Did they show Elizabeth's ass again? It seems a little gratuitous but I'm alright with it.

Comment

Didn't love the finale, but they set the stage for a killer season 4.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

On the bright side she didn't have long to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                              On the bright side she didn't have long to think about it.
                              It was darkly funny, "The execution will be carried out shortly..."

Comment

I haven't seen last nights episode. Is that the last one this season? It seems like it just barely came back on.

Edit: My bad, I read an above post and realized it was from a year ago.
                                Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Working...
                                X