Orange Is the New Black

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #16
    Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Having made it through the first 13 episodes, I am very interested to see if they continue down the path the plot lines have led them so far.

    Compare this show to Breaking Bad, which is making waves particularly because it takes a good guy, Walter White; gets the audience to identify and sympathize with him; and then, over the course of the show, punishes the audience for doing so as Walter White slowly digresses into sheer evil.

    Spoiler for Plot reveal:
    As Orange begins, Piper Chapman is presented as a universally-likable (though admittedly imperfect) character. She doesn't belong in a federal institution: she's kind, she's sweet, she's pretty, and (yes, this matters) she's white. The show's earliest plot lines emphasize the fact that she is in a new, foreign, and hostile world-- the comment about the poor food leading to Red's attempt to starve her out; Crazy Eyes adopts her as her "wife"; being placed in the "ghetto" with other black inmates.

    Bit by bit, though, the show begins to reveal the sort of morality that exists among the prisoners, chief among them being loyalty. The prisoners only have each other, and they will fight to get one another through. As the season progresses, however, it becomes increasingly clear that Chapman doesn't share in these morals. In the second-to-last episode, Crazy Eyes, playing the part of archetypal wise jester, springs the trap. Chapman isn't nice. In fact, by the end of the season, she has betrayed her fellow inmates in a number of ways-- turning over the phone, abandoning Alex, and condemning another to the Psych unit, letting her out only to salve her burning conscience (arguably a selfish act in and of itself). By the end, she has assaulted (and possibly murdered-- it's left unclear) another inmate. Chapman, as it turns out, may be the very worst of the prisoners in the facility.


    I'm not sure if the producers will continue to pursue this theme or not, but if they do, Orange will stand as condemnation of the tendency of modern society to write off prisoners as outcasts, the very dregs of society. Rather than merely showing that prisoners are people just like us, however, Orange makes an altogether different statement: we, the ones who condemn our fellow human beings to lives in institutional hell, are far worse off than those whom we wish, however unsuccessfully, to forget.
    Good take, but
    Spoiler for Sideplot reveal:
    I think Piper as a monster is a bit overstated. Red is way worse. She lit her friend on fire!

    Comment

    • All-American
      Right, as Usual
      • Nov 2008
      • 15670

      #17
      Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Good take, but
      Spoiler for Sideplot reveal:
      I think Piper as a monster is a bit overstated. Red is way worse. She lit her friend on fire!
      Spoiler for Red:
      Red would have made an excellent politician. Her driving motivation is the accumulation, consolidation, and preservation of power, and she is not afraid to exact casualties in order to do so. Note that during the radio show, while other inmates were hurt and upset to hear what Piper had to say about them, Red was pleased to hear that she was, indeed, terrifying. At the same time, she uses that power to look out for her own, a good quality that would arguably bump her up the hierarchy of "good" inmates. Yet she cannot avoid doing harm as she attempts to preserve her power (burning her friend) or even helping her own (catalyzing Tricia's overdose).

      Yes, Piper as a monster is overstated, as of the end of Season 1, episode 13. I nevertheless get the sense that the writers may be going in that direction. Depending on how well they do it, they may be able to pull off a particularly stinging indictments of modern society.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment

      • MarkGrace
        Grooveshark dick tease
        • Dec 2008
        • 31546

        #18
        Watched the first two episodes last night and was just kind of meh on them. Unfortunately I saw nothing approaching NC-17 to keep me interested. Hopefully that comes in episode 3!
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

        Comment

        • Coach McGuirk
          1
          • Nov 2008
          • 12109

          #19
          Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Watched the first two episodes last night and was just kind of meh on them. Unfortunately I saw nothing approaching NC-17 to keep me interested. Hopefully that comes in episode 3!
          Nope. It really isn't that good of a show.

          Comment

          • cougjunkie
            *Banned*
            • Nov 2008
            • 23223

            #20
            This entire show has been done before, check out Capodicia. They even develop characters with flashbacks on why they are behind bars. Budget cuts, segregation based on race inside the prison, lesbians, etc. It is a little darker with more violence more realistic but very similar.

            Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
            Last edited by cougjunkie; 07-22-2013, 08:06 AM.
            *Banned*

            Comment

            • Surfah
              Where's Wallace?
              • Nov 2008
              • 33726

              #21
              Not that into it. Piper is rather annoying. I can't take Jason Biggs seriously. I keep expecting ol' Jim to stick his ding ding into an apple pie.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

              Comment

              • cougjunkie
                *Banned*
                • Nov 2008
                • 23223

                #22
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                Not that into it. Piper is rather annoying. I can't take Jason Biggs seriously. I keep expecting ol' Jim to stick his ding ding into an apple pie.
                Exactly. I can't decide if this is supposed to be a drama that lacks well drama or a comedy that lacks laughs.
                *Banned*

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #23
                  Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  Exactly. I can't decide if this is supposed to be a drama that lacks well drama or a comedy that lacks laughs.
                  Nailed it. I can't figure out what this show wants to be. It's not serious. But it's not funny either.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • MarkGrace
                    Grooveshark dick tease
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 31546

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    Nailed it. I can't figure out what this show wants to be. It's not serious. But it's not funny either.
                    It wants to be a dramedy, but yeah, it's not pulling off either angle terribly well. I feel like this ends up happening with a lot of shows that try this style. Freaks and Geeks did it well, but it didn't get popular traction for a lot of the same reasons.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69721

                      #25
                      Thanks for the heads up. I won't waste my time on this one.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Thanks for the heads up. I won't waste my time on this one.
                        I am really surprised by the Metacritic rating.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • MarkGrace
                          Grooveshark dick tease
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 31546

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          I am really surprised by the Metacritic rating.
                          And some of the biggest buzz has come from heavyweight critics. There are several who think this is Netflix's best show so far. I don't get it. It's better than Hemlock Grove in terms of the Netflix stuff, but that's it.
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                          Comment

                          • FN Phat
                            I ♥ gateway sex
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 8691

                            #28
                            I watched the first (2) episodes last night. I didn't hate it and I didn't think it was great. I will continue watching.
                            I'm your huckleberry.


                            "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                            Comment

                            • cougjunkie
                              *Banned*
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 23223

                              #29
                              Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                              I watched the first (2) episodes last night. I didn't hate it and I didn't think it was great. I will continue watching.
                              Of course you will, the first two show the most boobs. Trust me it slows way down.
                              *Banned*

                              Comment

                              • MarkGrace
                                Grooveshark dick tease
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 31546

                                #30
                                Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                                Of course you will, the first two show the most boobs. Trust me it slows way down.
                                The episode I watched last night had a lot of vagina shots (or pictures of a vagina shot, anyway). Not in a good way, though.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                                Comment

                                Working...