I have a bad feeling about this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something like this:

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      I saw a scene with the millennium falcon, a droid rolling in the desert, someone racing on a pod, and a voiceover. It seemed like it was thrown together, with not much thought about showing something unique. I'm not saying I won't be in line near the opening day. But it wasn't one of the better trailers I've seen.
      I guess that's why it's called a teaser. I'm surprised it showed as much as it did, to be honest. And you left out the X-wings, which were the most badass part of the trailer. Oh and a very menacing looking character with a red light saber.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

If you're going to hook me, an old school Star Wars fan, pay more homage to its legacy. Remind me why I loved Star Wars before. Give me something 'familliar', while showing something that's new and cool.
        Isn't that pretty much exactly what it did?
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
          Isn't that pretty much exactly what it did?
          Not for me. But YMMV.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
            Well obviously. But if Lucas hadn't spent so much time on that he might've spent more than a couple days on the plot and script.
            haha. I keep meaning to get the actual name of the doc I watched about the cluster that was the episode I production. Lucas had such an involved and convoluted plot that by the time he screened it for the studio heads none of the edits that would make the movie watchable could be done without making the movie one big series of unresolved conflicts (o conversely resolutions to undeveloped conflicts). I guess that screening was just crickets. Untouchable Lucas powered through and released whatever he wanted. Looking back, I'd say the effects and light saber/star fighter action eased the pain of the rough dialogue and boring plot.

Comment

Not for me. But YMMV.
              I'm assuming that means "to each his own" or something, but I agree. What I liked that reminded me of old star wars were 1. A shot of desolate and spooky tatooine, traits that are punctuated by the score. 2. Quirky droids that are "comic relief" (but hopefully not shameless pratfall vehicles). 3. The familiar speeder engine whir. 4. The rebel insignia/X Wing sweetness. 5. The snap of the lightsaber. 6. The millenium falcon and the tie fighters with their familiar screams and laser bleats.

As for stuff that's new and cool: 1. A confused Stormtrooper in distress- (or at least a man in stormtrooper suit not belonging to him) (a la ep IV). 2. The droid is new and different. 3. The pod is same but different 4. The Stormtrooper transport shot was shaky and visceral- a change from what we're used to seeing, which is a bunch of stormtroopers collapsing like bowling pins when shot. 5. The X Wings shot seemed to display the raw power of the vehicles capable of interstellar transport, rather than the planes that somewhat quietly whisped Luke away from here to there. 6. The "sith" saber had a bit different snap to it, more sinister sounding, rather than the warm buzz we're used to. 7. The Millennium falcon shot showed a nimbly flying vehicle with more details seen re: environmental effects- the sand being whipped by the air displacement, the exhaust trails in the sky, etc.

Obviously it's premature to make a meaningful judgment on any of this, but that's the fun of it at this point. Overall what I'm seeing is a more humanized, visceral, dangerous universe, which is pretty much the opposite of the last 3, with the possible exception of ep. III, which did have some emotional heft to it and some cool scary acting by palpatine in it. I'm encouraged by JJ Abram's ability to create suspense and get his audience on board for the ride- no small task for any film maker, something that was definitely missing from the last few, and something that would make a Star Wars movie a hell of a lot of fun.

Comment

haha. I keep meaning to get the actual name of the doc I watched about the cluster that was the episode I production. Lucas had such an involved and convoluted plot that by the time he screened it for the studio heads none of the edits that would make the movie watchable could be done without making the movie one big series of unresolved conflicts (o conversely resolutions to undeveloped conflicts). I guess that screening was just crickets. Untouchable Lucas powered through and released whatever he wanted. Looking back, I'd say the effects and light saber/star fighter action eased the pain of the rough dialogue and boring plot.
                Hah I saw that too. I'm not sure where it's from originally, but it does come up in Mr. Plinkett's review.

Seriously, anyone who hasn't seen the Mr. Plinkett reviews of the prequel trilogy simply must. They're far more entertaining than the films themselves.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/s...hantom-menace/

Comment

Here's one:

If you're going to hook me, an old school Star Wars fan, pay more homage to its legacy. Remind me why I loved Star Wars before. Give me something 'familliar', while showing something that's new and cool.
                  thats 3 months before the movie came out.

Comment

I have a bad feeling about this.

Here's one:

I agree completely. Show me stormtroopers. Show me x-wings and tie fighters. Show me the millenium falcon. And light sabers, of course-- and feel free to throw in some twist to make it extra cool. THAT would have been a sweet trailer.

EDIT: I also notice you posted a nearly three-minute trailer, rather than a teaser. I agree that the episode III teaser was well-done, though.
                    Last edited by All-American; 11-30-2014, 07:43 AM.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Jeez. Are we going to argue this? I hope sac meeting is boring

I'm assuming that means "to each his own" or something, but I agree. What I liked that reminded me of old star wars were 1. A shot of desolate and spooky tatooine, traits that are punctuated by the score. 2. Quirky droids that are "comic relief" (but hopefully not shameless pratfall vehicles). 3. The familiar speeder engine whir. 4. The rebel insignia/X Wing sweetness. 5. The snap of the lightsaber. 6. The millenium falcon and the tie fighters with their familiar screams and laser bleats.

As for stuff that's new and cool: 1. A confused Stormtrooper in distress- (or at least a man in stormtrooper suit not belonging to him) (a la ep IV). 2. The droid is new and different. 3. The pod is same but different 4. The Stormtrooper transport shot was shaky and visceral- a change from what we're used to seeing, which is a bunch of stormtroopers collapsing like bowling pins when shot. 5. The X Wings shot seemed to display the raw power of the vehicles capable of interstellar transport, rather than the planes that somewhat quietly whisped Luke away from here to there. 6. The "sith" saber had a bit different snap to it, more sinister sounding, rather than the warm buzz we're used to. 7. The Millennium falcon shot showed a nimbly flying vehicle with more details seen re: environmental effects- the sand being whipped by the air displacement, the exhaust trails in the sky, etc.

Obviously it's premature to make a meaningful judgment on any of this, but that's the fun of it at this point. Overall what I'm seeing is a more humanized, visceral, dangerous universe, which is pretty much the opposite of the last 3, with the possible exception of ep. III, which did have some emotional heft to it and some cool scary acting by palpatine in it. I'm encouraged by JJ Abram's ability to create suspense and get his audience on board for the ride- no small task for any film maker, something that was definitely missing from the last few, and something that would make a Star Wars movie a hell of a lot of fun.
                      Yes, I agree. All those parts in the teaser connect back to the earlier films. I also thought the same about the droid, hoping it won't turn into an Ewok/Jar Jar thing.

I'll freely admit my baggage. The 'first' movies had a great storyline, which set up some interesting stories for the 'last' movies. Despite my eagerness for the franchise to continue, I think those stories have run their course. I'm hoping that there's a new interesting story that can stand on its own, and that is given enough attention. I appreciate the attention paid to connecting the new movie with the old, and I'll enjoy the vast technical improvements that no doubt will be showcased. But in my mind, if the focus is on the same sets, gadgets, and typecasting of characters, It'll be similar to the remastering of episodes IV-VI. Not that the explosion of the Death Star was made cooler, but I really want a well-told story.

So yeah, this is the first teaser, and maybe I'm expecting too much too soon. But still, 'meh'.

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                      thats 3 months before the movie came out.
                      That is a fair point. I'm hoping the others will be better.

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      I agree completely. Show me stormtroopers. Show me x-wings and tie fighters. Show me the millenium falcon. And light sabers, of course-- and feel free to throw in some twist to make it extra cool. THAT would have been a sweet trailer.

EDIT: I also notice you posted a nearly three-minute trailer, rather than a teaser. I agree that the episode III teaser was well-done, though.
                      See above. Yes, I like to see those things. I'm a Star Wars homer just like everyone else. I just want more than 'Attack of the Clones'. That movie had everything in spades, but the movie sucked. And the feeling I got watching the teaser was 'here's hints of everything you wanted in the new movie. We really don't need to spend much time something together that will thrill a new generation, because we already have a couple of those hooked. They'll come see anything'. Meh.

Again, I'll cut it some slack. It was a teaser for a movie that isn't due for another year. But I'm hoping for better.
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• I thought this was great.

http://youtu.be/v93Jh6JNBng
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          I thought this was great.

Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                            I thought this was great.

"probably coming depressingly soon"
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              I just want more than 'Attack of the Clones'. That movie had everything in spades, but the movie sucked. And the feeling I got watching the teaser was 'here's hints of everything you wanted in the new movie. We really don't need to spend much time something together that will thrill a new generation, because we already have a couple of those hooked. They'll come see anything'. Meh.

Again, I'll cut it some slack. It was a teaser for a movie that isn't due for another year. But I'm hoping for better.
                              So many problems with Attack of the Clones.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I am still stoked about the movie and did not mind the trailer, but my expectations from JJ is fairly high. His teaser trailer for Star Trek was done very well. imo

I will tell you Surfah. I was disappointed to hear the other one was a fake. That black stormtrooper was pretty badass...
                                Last edited by dabrockster; 12-01-2014, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X