Drive

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cougjunkie
    *Banned*
    • Nov 2008
    • 23223

    #31
    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Caught this on Friday night with falafel and a few other friends. It is slow at parts, but always intense (would you expect anything else from Gosling?) and it really picks up toward the end. All in all I really enjoyed it. Just enough detail to raise a lot of questions, but not so much detail to kill the curiosity. I want to see it again, actually.

    Also, the soundtrack is awesome. We enjoyed the songs so much we ended up youtubing them on our phones and listening to them all weekend. This song ended up being the de facto theme song of our golf/BYU football debacle trip:

    [YOUTUBE]-DSVDcw6iW8[/YOUTUBE]
    Sounds like the type of song you would hear in a gay porn film.
    *Banned*

    Comment

    • BlueHair
      Boom Bitches!!!
      • Nov 2008
      • 2894

      #32
      Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      Sounds like the type of song you would hear in a gay porn film.
      TMI!
      Just try it once. One beer or one cigarette or one porno movie won't hurt. - Dallin H. Oaks

      Comment

      • MarkGrace
        Grooveshark dick tease
        • Dec 2008
        • 31546

        #33
        Originally posted by BlueHair View Post
        TMI!
        Seriously. The last thing I wanted to know about CJ is that he's watched gay porn.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37982

          #34
          Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Seriously. The last thing I wanted to know about CJ is that he's watched gay porn.
          At the very least he's thought about a gay porn film and what the soundtrack should sound like.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • MarkGrace
            Grooveshark dick tease
            • Dec 2008
            • 31546

            #35
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            At the very least he's thought about a gay porn film and what the soundtrack should sound like.
            FTR, I have no idea what the music to gay porn does or should sound like.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37982

              #36
              Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
              FTR, I have no idea what the music to gay porn does or should sound like.
              If it sounds anything like the Drive soundtrack, I will have to start watching a lot of gay porn.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • MarkGrace
                Grooveshark dick tease
                • Dec 2008
                • 31546

                #37
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                If it sounds anything like the Drive soundtrack, I will have to start watching a lot of gay porn.
                Uh...
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                Comment

                • BoylenOver
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 9146

                  #38
                  Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  If it sounds anything like the Drive soundtrack, I will have to start watching a lot of gay porn.
                  If it's anything like the "Drive" soundtrack and starred Ryan Gosling, I would also start watching a lot of gay porn.
                  "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                  "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                  Comment

                  • RobinFinderson
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10548

                    #39
                    So, I hadn't really read anything about this movie, except for the raves here, and even those were pretty careful not to reveal much about the plot of the movie, and so I thought to myself, "I almost never get to walk into a movie totally blind, without any real expectations." And that is exactly what I did... except I brought Little Robin...

                    Spoiler for thoughts:
                    And we loved it. Fun movie. It was sold out, so I was sitting next to some guy, and he kept looking over at Little Robin wondering how he was taking it all in. I was wondering the same thing, especially at the scene where pretty Christina Hendricks gets her hair messed up. I guess all of those violent video games have really prepared him to enjoy movies. Who woulda thunk.

                    Comment

                    • CardiacCoug
                      вот так штука
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 11013

                      #40
                      The wife and I went and saw it last night. I thought it was awesome and would definitely see it again.

                      Don't take your kids, no matter what RF says.

                      Spoiler for What I didn't like::
                      I wish the ending hadn't been so ambiguous. Do people think Gosling's character survives and goes back to Irene and her son? It probably makes me a rube, but I like a little more of a wrap-op on the end of my movies.

                      Comment

                      • Jacob
                        Junior Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 6801

                        #41
                        Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                        The wife and I went and saw it last night. I thought it was awesome and would definitely see it again.

                        Don't take your kids, no matter what RF says.

                        Spoiler for What I didn't like::
                        I wish the ending hadn't been so ambiguous. Do people think Gosling's character survives and goes back to Irene and her son? It probably makes me a rube, but I like a little more of a wrap-op on the end of my movies.
                        That's not the way I took it.
                        Spoiler for spoiler:
                        My interpretation was that he survived but never saw her again. And that was pretty satisfying to me after what she saw him do.

                        Comment

                        • CardiacCoug
                          вот так штука
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 11013

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                          That's not the way I took it.
                          Spoiler for spoiler:
                          My interpretation was that he survived but never saw her again. And that was pretty satisfying to me after what she saw him do.
                          Yeah I guess your interpretation makes the most sense.

                          Comment

                          • RobinFinderson
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10548

                            #43
                            I agree with Cardiac that the movie is probably not for most children.

                            Regarding the ending...

                            Spoiler for my thoughts about the ending:
                            I share Cardiac's confussion here. I don't think that it is at all clear that The Driver lives. In fact, as he is driving away, the camera begins to blur the view onto the road. I interpreted this to be the Driver's POV as loss of blood brought him closer to death. But it certainly wasn't clear. His leaving the money behind also seemed to indicate that he was going some place where money wouldn't be of any use.

                            Comment

                            • CardiacCoug
                              вот так штука
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 11013

                              #44
                              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              I agree with Cardiac that the movie is probably not for most children.

                              Regarding the ending...

                              Spoiler for my thoughts about the ending:
                              I share Cardiac's confussion here. I don't think that it is at all clear that The Driver lives. In fact, as he is driving away, the camera begins to blur the view onto the road. I interpreted this to be the Driver's POV as loss of blood brought him closer to death. But it certainly wasn't clear. His leaving the money behind also seemed to indicate that he was going some place where money wouldn't be of any use.
                              Anybody read the book on which the movie is based? I might check it out.

                              Spoiler for The Ending:
                              They establish pretty clearly that The Driver doesn't care about money (he lets the Bryan Cranston character exploit him financially and pay him half as much) so I think it fits with his character to leave the money behind regardless of whether or not he is mortally wounded. I agree with Jacob that after the elevator scene it's probably wrong to think he can just go back to Irene and live happily ever after. And the kiss during the elevator scene was portrayed as sort of that singular moment that he knew would never happen again.

                              Comment

                              • MarkGrace
                                Grooveshark dick tease
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 31546

                                #45
                                Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                Anybody read the book on which the movie is based? I might check it out.

                                Spoiler for The Ending:
                                They establish pretty clearly that The Driver doesn't care about money (he lets the Bryan Cranston character exploit him financially and pay him half as much) so I think it fits with his character to leave the money behind regardless of whether or not he is mortally wounded. I agree with Jacob that after the elevator scene it's probably wrong to think he can just go back to Irene and live happily ever after. And the kiss during the elevator scene was portrayed as sort of that singular moment that he knew would never happen again.
                                Spoiler for The Money:
                                Correct on the money. He leaves the money there and leaves so Irene won't ever be bothered again (and because he just doesn't care about the money). And agreed on the kiss. They never really have any type of physical relationship, but he kisses here there because he knows he's either going to (a) end up dead or (b) have to go to a place he can never come back from so she can live in peace.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                                Comment

                                Working...