Five movies everyone should see

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Maximus
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 6023

    #61
    1. Life is Beautiful
    2. Life is Beautiful
    3. Life is Beautiful
    4. Life is Beautiful
    5. Life is Beautiful

    Comment

    • LA Ute
      Receiver of Memory
      • Nov 2008
      • 19512

      #62
      Originally posted by Levin View Post
      Very cool. What were you doing on set?

      I watched that film for the first time when I was 21. I randomly found it in my parents' movie collection, and popped it in. I was riveted by Page's performance, and the last scene left me incredibly moved.

      So often we think it's teenagers who don't show respect to their parents, when the truth may be that self-involved adults show the least respect of all through neglect and impatience with their aging parents.
      In another professional life I was a young lawyer working at a firm with a large entertainment industry practice. I got the lucky assignment to do the basic contracts (called "deal memos") for the actors. With Horton Foote as the writer everyone wanted to do the movie, and once Geraldine Page signed on it was even easier. No one quibbled over terms, and some major actors did the work for "scale," or the minimum amount SAG would allow them to be paid. Rebecca de Mornay was fresh off Risky Business and wanted to show she could do some more serious acting too - her agent was dying to get her in the movie. Anyway, I got to go to the set for a day (in Dallas) and watch the Grehound Bus scene being filmed. It was an amazing experience.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden


      "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


      "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

      Comment

      • jay santos
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 13652

        #63
        Fight Club is the only one not mentioned yet that would be in my five

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69718

          #64
          I have a tough time participating in threads like this. How on earth can you narrow it down to five selections?
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • BigPiney
            Huge Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 12368

            #65
            Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
            No Ishtar?


            Hell's video library

            Comment

            • Art Vandelay
              Striving for mediocrity
              • Jul 2009
              • 10516

              #66
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I have a tough time participating in threads like this. How on earth can you narrow it down to five selections?
              The Dude divides...his list down to five

              Comment

              • Green Lantern
                Has overcome great fear
                • Aug 2009
                • 2289

                #67
                Let's see. I'll go:

                Pulp Fiction
                E.T.
                Sherlock Jr.
                Casablanca
                Raiders of the Lost Ark
                Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                --Portland Ute

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #68
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I have a tough time participating in threads like this. How on earth can you narrow it down to five selections?
                  You throw out:

                  * Engineering the Impossible
                  * The Best of Modern Marvels collection
                  * A man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama
                  * Mailart's Bridges
                  * Seven Wonders of the Industrial World
                  * Extreme Engineering: Collections One and Two
                  * MegaStructures Collection
                  * Nova's Super Bridge
                  * Engineering an Empire: The compete series
                  * The History Channel's The World's Longest Bridge
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69718

                    #69
                    Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    * A man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama
                    Wait. Are we talking movies or palindromes?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • jay santos
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 13652

                      #70
                      A great film for the engineers: Primer.

                      Comment

                      • Art Vandelay
                        Striving for mediocrity
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 10516

                        #71
                        I obviously had a huge mental lapse yesterday. Toy Story is out and Memento is in. That is my favorite of all Nolan's films.

                        Comment

                        • Uncle Ted
                          The Big 12 money shot.
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 28853

                          #72
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Wait. Are we talking movies or palindromes?
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • SeattleUte
                            Faith crisis consultant
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 20837

                            #73
                            My list is the most intelligent.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                            --Jonathan Swift

                            Comment

                            • Uncle Ted
                              The Big 12 money shot.
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 28853

                              #74
                              Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                              A great film for the engineers: Primer.
                              That and Pi

                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • Uncle Ted
                                The Big 12 money shot.
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 28853

                                #75
                                Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                                Fight Club is the only one not mentioned yet that would be in my five
                                The Jane Austen version?

                                [YOUTUBE]r2PM0om2El8[/YOUTUBE]
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...