No announcement yet.

The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Babylon Berlin episodes are coming March 1. As I mentioned a while back, great show about the period of time between the World Wars before the Nazis really took hold -- though that might start changing during the upcoming season.

I haven't read a whole lot about it, but it seems like if Germany hadn't gone Nazi there was a decent chance they may have gone Communist instead.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      I haven't read a whole lot about it, but it seems like if Germany hadn't gone Nazi there was a decent chance they may have gone Communist instead.
      That is correct.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        I really hate that you can't search for 3 letter words on here. It seems like you use to be able to with " " around the word. Anyway....

I really enjoyed The Spy with Sacha Baron Cohen. I've never seen him a dramatic role before, i thought he was excellent. The story of Eli Cohen (no relation) is fascinating. After the series was over I read several articles about Eli, I had no idea he is still considered an Israeli hero. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I would recommend checking it out. it is well worth the watch
        Thanks for this recommendation. Fantastic story and great acting by Cohen. I also researched the true story and this seems at least loosely factual. Amazing story.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          Thanks for this recommendation. Fantastic story and great acting by Cohen. I also researched the true story and this seems at least loosely factual. Amazing story.
          Agree. I loved it.
          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Speaking of three-letter word shows: "You"

Search terms: title character played by some dude name Penn Badgley, based on a novel (which I haven't read) by Caroline Kepnes.

Dexter-vibe without the delicious fried eggs and ham intro. Still, it is a captivating and creepy.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              I've been on a multi-month foreign based series binge. The Spy is probably my favorite.

Others I enjoyed
              * Fauda
              * Bordertown
              * Dark - thanks for the recommendation, DH
              * Black Spot

I have lots more, but those are some of the best.

Comment

• The BBC's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is really well done. I'm 2/3 through the book and the show is so far an astonishingly faithful adaptation. I guess having 8 hours to tell the story helps a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  I've been on a multi-month foreign based series binge. The Spy is probably my favorite.

Others I enjoyed
                  * Fauda
                  * Bordertown
                  * Dark - thanks for the recommendation, DH
                  * Black Spot

I have lots more, but those are some of the best.
                  I just finished the first season of ‘Black Spot’. I thought it was good but not great. Is the second season worth watching?
                  "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                    I just finished the first season of ‘Black Spot’. I thought it was good but not great. Is the second season worth watching?
                    Would agree with your assessment. 2nd season was similar to the first in that regard. Some episodes were really good, some meh. Considering there are only 8 episodes per season, it is probably worth your time. Bordertown is overall better, IMO. Again, I wouldn’t call it great, but definitely well above average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I started watching the true crime doc about the 8 year old boy that was tortured and murdered in Palmdale several years back. I remember hearing about this, but lost track of the story. It's a truly horrific story, I can't watch anymore.

Some of you may recall the story from three years ago regarding the 12 year old boy in Toquerville down in Washington, County who was brought to the hospital and only weighed 30 lbs. It's different than the Gabriel Fernandez story in some respects (the mother wasn't beating him as far as I can tell), but similar in other respects. Shockingly, both homes had other kids in them who didn't seem to bear the brunt of abuse and torture. For some reason, both boys seemed to be the focus.

Although the boy in Toquerville survived, in many ways the Toquerville boy received worse abuse. He was locked in a bedroom and then a tiny bathroom for 4-8 years. Both due to malnourishment and then the cramped quarters, the boy stopped growing. He was surrounded by his own a feces. His mother had a constant video feed linked to her phone. To me, the fact the mother did this to her own child isn't the most incomprehensible thing -- it's the fact that anyone could treat another human, let alone a child, in this fashion.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• The Two Popes. Loved it. Great soundtrack too.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Castlevania Season III is up!
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            Castlevania Season III is up!
                            How is it? I’ve been reluctant to try and watch a non-comedy cartoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              How is it? I’ve been reluctant to try and watch a non-comedy cartoon.
                              Well I love it. It’s horror/fantasy and helpful not to think of it as a ‘cartoon.’
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I just finished the Netflix documentary called “The trials of Gabriel Fernandez” and I am emotionally drained. How can a Mother subject their child to torture. Watching the episode where he writes a Mother’s Day Card for his Mom (Who beat and tortures him) that we often see our kids do from school caused me to openly weep for this innocent child who yearned to be loved.

It was shocking to see how a child protective system and law enforcement can ignore blatant abuse and how the accumulation of neglect can embolden abuse.

I held my daughter (who is the same age this boy was before he died) and told her I loved her and held her a little longer last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X