No announcement yet.

80s Music: Define It. Love it. Hate it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80s Music: Define It. Love it. Hate it.

Let's not besmirch the good name of our beloved prophet with worldly things. Mods, can you transfer the prior posts over?
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

I already (rightfully) criticized you on your terrible take on 80s music tonight, so I will go ahead and double down.

This reminds me of some of the takes I saw on Twitter after the Oscars (which I didn't watch), where there were evidently heartwarming interactions between Ke Huy Quan and Harrison Ford, and KHQ and Steven Spielberg.

Some Twitterites saw this, and their reaction was "Hey Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg! You don't deserve to have these moments because you should have been helping him get better roles all these years!"

And I thought "How sad is it that some people go through their lives seeing good and heartwarming things, and their only reaction is 'Here is how it should have been better'"

So, my completely unsolicited and unwelcome advice to you is the same. Continue to advocate for justice and good outcomes. But when you see something good happen, rejoice in it and be happy, rather than saying "This is how it could have been better"

Also, the Talking Heads are like 3 times as good as any of those lame 90s bands.
    Fine, next time I will give praise for the good without bringing anything else up.

However, when something awful is done, I'll make sure to focus only on that and not acknowledge that there are also good things.

80s music does suck. Talking Heads are okay though.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
      80s music does suck.
      I am sorry but I cannot take anything you have said or will say seriously anymore.

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
        80s music does suck. Talking Heads are okay though.
        True music aficionados know that good music is made in all eras.

Exhibit A:

https://youtu.be/uRo426va26I

Comment

80s music is a mixed bag. But from 89-91, pop music was horrific. All of it. Rock, rap, R&B. Shit song after shot song. But the Billboard 40 went in an epic run for 6-8 years thereafter.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            80s music is a mixed bag. But from 89-91, pop music was horrific. All of it. Rock, rap, R&B. Shit song after shot song. But the Billboard 40 went in an epic run for 6-8 years thereafter.
            Three of the greatest albums of all time were released in 91. None were pop.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post

Three of the greatest albums of all time were released in 91. None were pop.
              which is why it’s the cutoff date, assuming you’re referencing nevermind, ten, and Metallica black.

Comment

which is why it’s the cutoff date, assuming you’re referencing nevermind, ten, and Metallica black.
                I screwed up my post and the three I was referencing didn't copy over. But no, Nirvana and Pearl Jam never made a great album and the Black album is where Metallica started to go downhill.

Because I'm an insufferable music snob, the albums are:

Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
                Laughing Stock by Talk Talk
                Spiderland by Slint

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post

I screwed up my post and the three I was referencing didn't copy over. But no, Nirvana and Pearl Jam never made a great album and the Black album is where Metallica started to go downhill.

Because I'm an insufferable music snob, the albums are:

Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
                  Laughing Stock by Talk Talk
                  Spiderland by Slint
                  Yeah, I wouldn't even know where to find those albums. But I'm glad that '91 was a good year for the indy rock crowd.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't even know where to find those albums. But I'm glad that '91 was a good year for the indy rock crowd.
                    Name one 90's artist better than Prince or Michael Jackson ...

Name one 90's band better than U2 ...

The era of Michael Jackson, Prince and U2 also includes: Bowie, REM, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, INXS and the Thomson Twins. Staples of every music library across North America and Europe. You can also throw in Def Leapard, Bryan Adams and Spandau Ballet along with the Smiths, and the Beastie Boys.

Good gravy ... comparing the 90's music to 80's music is just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post

The era of Michael Jackson, Prince and U2 also includes: Bowie, REM, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, INXS and the Thomson Twins. Staples of every music library across North America and Europe. You can also throw in Def Leapard, Bryan Adams and Spandau Ballet along with the Smiths, and the Beastie Boys.

But so many of those bands are also 90's bands. And 70's. It's a messy business painting with a broad brush.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post

Note that I said that 80s is a mixed bag.

This is somewhat silly, because musical taste is subjective. To be candid: of MJ, Prince, REM, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, INXS and the Thomson Twins (Who TF is that?), only REM resonates with me even a little. I was born in the early 80s, though (my guess is that you were born in the early 70s), so taste is simply guided by what was popular when we are coming of age. Glaring exception: USUC. He likes bands no one has heard of, in any era.
                        Last edited by Green Monstah; 03-21-2023, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

But so many of those bands are also 90's bands. And 70's. It's a messy business painting with a broad brush.
                          Yeah, U2 is a 90s band, for sure. They probably released albums in the 80s, but the mid to late 90s, they were the biggest band in the world. Although U2 may be a glaring exception to my 89-91 dead period. I'm just not sure when Achtung Baby was released.

Comment

Yeah, U2 is a 90s band, for sure. They probably released albums in the 80s, but the mid to late 90s, they were the biggest band in the world. Although U2 may be a glaring exception to my 89-91 dead period. I'm just not sure when Achtung Baby was released.
                            Joshua Tree was released in 1987. I would have guessed earlier than that. But I was listening to their music on the radio through most of the 80's. My favorite rock bands were huge in the 80's, but also released albums in the 70's. Rush, Styx, Journey, Foreigner, Boston? What decade would you place them in?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Joshua Tree was released in 1987. I would have guessed earlier than that. But I was listening to their music on the radio through most of the 80's. My favorite rock bands were huge in the 80's, but also released albums in the 70's. Rush, Styx, Journey, Foreigner, Boston? What decade would you place them in?
                              Wow. 87. Great Album. Edit: just looked at U2's discography. I had no idea they had any albums pre-Joshua Tree. I'm not sure I could name a song on any of those albums, but I was definitely surprised.

To your point, it's not always easy.

Rush is a weird one because I feel like they have a cult-like following among people who otherwise loved 70s, 80s and 90s music (albeit ealry 90s).

Styx: hard to say. By the time I came around, they were mostly irrelevant.

Journey, Foreigner, and Boston, I'd comfortably call them 80s bands, even though I'm sure they were around prior.

Comment

Working...
                              X