The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wedding Ringer

Hilarious movie. Not "The Hangover" hilarious...but right up there.

I am still chuckling a bit this morning.

Comment

• Paddington. Good movie for the kids. It's nice to see Lord Grantham come down to earth a bit.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        Paddington. Good movie for the kids. It's nice to see Lord Grantham come down to earth a bit.
        Grandparents took the kids to this last weekend so ill never have to see it!
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

• I wasn't a big fan of the Matrix movies, and I doubt I'll see Jupiter Ascending, although I had been told that if seeing 20 minutes of Mila Kunis close-ups in 3-D, it's worth considering. Now that the movie is out, Rotten Tomatoes current registers a woeful 22%, although a local reviewer I admire, Mick LaSalle, liked it because it was so ridiculously over the top. I enjoyed his take on Eddie Redmayne's performance:

Eddie Redmayne, as the most ambitious of the ruling elite, almost qualifies on his own as a reason to see the movie. He plays a neurasthenic monster, a cousin to every Caligula who has ever chewed the scenery, and his mode is to speak in a breathy mumble and then, occasionally, just scream out of nowhere. In a way, it’s an amazingly horrible performance, an example of what can happen when an easy-going young actor makes the mistake of doing whatever his directors tell him. Going into the Oscar vote, in which Redmayne is Michael Keaton’s chief competitor, Keaton really should be sending the Wachowskis a fruit basket. Perhaps flowers, too, but at minimum a basket with nice pears, different kinds of apples and maybe a pineapple.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Mick LaSalle, liked it because it was so ridiculously over the top. I enjoyed his take on Eddie Redmayne's performance:
            Eddie Redmayne, as the most ambitious of the ruling elite, almost qualifies on his own as a reason to see the movie. He plays a neurasthenic monster, a cousin to every Caligula who has ever chewed the scenery, and his mode is to speak in a breathy mumble and then, occasionally, just scream out of nowhere. In a way, it’s an amazingly horrible performance, an example of what can happen when an easy-going young actor makes the mistake of doing whatever his directors tell him. Going into the Oscar vote, in which Redmayne is Michael Keaton’s chief competitor, Keaton really should be sending the Wachowskis a fruit basket. Perhaps flowers, too, but at minimum a basket with nice pears, different kinds of apples and maybe a pineapple.
            In regards to Eddie Redmayne, I recommend the film Black Death. It has a better rotten tomatoes rating (68%) than Jupiter Ascending and probably has much more action than The Theory of Everything (although I've yet to see it). An added plus is that Redmayne doesn't sing (Les Miserables) although there might be some Monk chants. In Black Death, Redmayne slowly transforms from innocent monk to vengeful soldier. It's also a good fix for those who may miss Ned Stark since Sean Bean basically plays the same character, this time as a medieval knight. It also has Game of Thrones actress Carice van Houten who likewise plays the same character as Melisandre-the Red Woman, this time as a presumed witch and village leader. The film has some good plot twists and explores the theme of the secular or perhaps more accurately the rational versus faith and the will of God and explores the premise that evil is found in both. Edit: evil is found in those representing the Church or professing to do the will of God - not God specifically.
            Last edited by Paperback Writer; 02-06-2015, 10:35 AM.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• I'm irritated with the current crop of Cable shows rated TV MA for no good reason. Episode 1 of Black Sails has an interesting premise of a pirate captain who can see a future where Pirates are universally reviled and have no where to turn, along with some politics and economics sprinkled in. Interesting except for a 10 minute racy lesbian sex scene that did not need to be there at all. Why do they ruin these great shows with superfluous sex. Is it just to spice up a show that is already interesting?

The only interesting show that avoids superfluous sex is BBC-America's Three Musketeers, which I enjoy immensely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                I'm irritated with the current crop of Cable shows rated TV MA for no good reason. Episode 1 of Black Sails has an interesting premise of a pirate captain who can see a future where Pirates are universally reviled and have no where to turn, along with some politics and economics sprinkled in. Interesting except for a 10 minute racy lesbian sex scene that did not need to be there at all. Why do they ruin these great shows with superfluous sex. Is it just to spice up a show that is already interesting?

The only interesting show that avoids superfluous sex is BBC-America's Three Musketeers, which I enjoy immensely.
                [Furiously looking to see if my local cable provider has 'Black Sails']
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

......The only interesting show that avoids superfluous sex is BBC-America's Three Musketeers, which I enjoy immensely.
                  I am digging BBC shows lately. That is all.

Comment

I'm irritated with the current crop of Cable shows rated TV MA for no good reason. Episode 1 of Black Sails has an interesting premise of a pirate captain who can see a future where Pirates are universally reviled and have no where to turn, along with some politics and economics sprinkled in. Interesting except for a 10 minute racy lesbian sex scene that did not need to be there at all. Why do they ruin these great shows with superfluous sex. Is it just to spice up a show that is already interesting?

Ruin? Is that a synonym for "enhance"?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by wally View Post
                      I am digging BBC shows lately. That is all.
                      Don't be so coy. Which programs are you enjoying?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        I've seen parts of some episodes of Black Sails while channel surfing. Evidently, I missed the hot lesbian sex (HLS) during my sampling. Perhaps, it's time to conduct another audit. I wish I had the asnwer to KL's query as to why producers would ruin a pirate show with HLS when it already had elements of politics and economics.
                        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                          I've seen parts of some episodes of Black Sails while channel surfing. Evidently, I missed the hot lesbian sex (HLS) during my sampling. Perhaps, it's time to conduct another audit. I wish I had the asnwer to KL's query as to why producers would ruin a pirate show with HLS when it already had elements of politics and economics.
                          A pirate show sounds intriguing, but the reviews don't look very good.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            if they don't, i'd be happy to direct you to some free racy lesbian sex scenes that require only a few clicks and an incognito browser
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              A pirate show sounds intriguing, but the reviews don't look very good.
                              I've given Black Sails a few chances but can't make it through an entire episode. I'll watch a trailer for it and become intrigued once again but then don't find the characters or story lines fulfilling. It has some very good production qualities and captures the setting in the Caribbean very well. Add some better quality writing and perhaps they have a winner. But that can be said of a lot of shows. At this point, I can't recommend but still want to believe because of my interest in American history and historic fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                if they don't, i'd be happy to direct you to some free racy lesbian sex scenes that require only a few clicks and an incognito browser
                                But will the actresses be pirates? And will the show have elements of politics and economics?

Comment

Working...
                                X