Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Seen a number of films lately:

Frozen: great film and a breath of fresh air after so many poorly done animated films. I generally tire of these things after 30 minutes but I thoroughly enjoyed this one to the end. The song the older sister sang when she builds her ice castle was fabulous....but I'm a feminist so that might be why I liked it.

No Strings Attached: Lame movie, boring plot and poorly executed production, but Natalie Portman is hot...which is why I watched it.

Django Unchained: I saw this one once before but I was tired and slept through some of it. Glad I watched it again. This was my first Tarantino movie and I loved the dialogue and especially the way the lines were delivered. Great story and very well done except it seemed about 20 minutes too long. I also thought the splattering blood was a bit over the top. I mean, do fountains of blood really squirt out of people when they are shot in the head?

Pulp Fiction: After Django I figured I'd watch another Tarantino. I fell asleep twice in this one. I may need to watch it again when I'm not so tired, but I doubt I will.

Man of Steel: I got bored after the first 30 minutes and went to bed. MJ finished watching it but said it sucked. I guess there's also a scene in it where Superman has his shirt off, which seemed to be the highlight.

Premium Rush: Might be the movie I've seen with the most plot holes, which is saying something since I've seen Return to Oz. The action footage was fun but overall the movie sucked. JGL is cool though so I made it through the whole movie without turning it off or falling asleep.

The Amazing Spiderman: Got bored after 20 minutes so I went and played Candy Crush in my room before falling asleep 10 minutes later. MJ finished watching it and said it sucked. I think I'm done with superhero movies for a while as they can't hold my attention anymore.
    I enjoyed these reviews and hope you do more. It's like a biographical take on movies from the perspective of a narcoleptic with ADD.

Comment

• Originally posted by woot View Post
      I enjoyed these reviews and hope you do more. It's like a biographical take on movies from the perspective of a narcoleptic with ADD.
      very funny

Comment

Django Unchained: I saw this one once before but I was tired and slept through some of it. Glad I watched it again. This was my first Tarantino movie and I loved the dialogue and especially the way the lines were delivered. Great story and very well done except it seemed about 20 minutes too long. I also thought the splattering blood was a bit over the top. I mean, do fountains of blood really squirt out of people when they are shot in the head?

Pulp Fiction: After Django I figured I'd watch another Tarantino. I fell asleep twice in this one. I may need to watch it again when I'm not so tired, but I doubt I will.
        You should watch the Kill Bill movies too. I didn't really get Tarantino until I had seen a bunch of his stuff. I loved Django.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          You should watch the Kill Bill movies too. I didn't really get Tarantino until I had seen a bunch of his stuff. I loved Django.
          Pulp Fiction is by far his best work. Jackie Brown is also quite enjoyable, but very much back to center and much more conventional. Everything else he's done are revenge flicks done in the form of genre tributes. Not that I didn't enjoy them as well- in fact, Kill Bill and Death Proof are so far up my alley it's not even funny, but not really original plot arcs. Having said that, he really has fine tuned his craft as a filmmaker. Inglorious Basterds and Django had some really great moments that he probably couldn't have done in the early 90's, but Pulp Fiction was still better somehow for a lot of reasons. His next movie is a western, so expect yet another revenge flick.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
            Pulp Fiction is by far his best work. Jackie Brown is also quite enjoyable, but very much back to center and much more conventional. Everything else he's done are revenge flicks done in the form of genre tributes. Not that I didn't enjoy them as well- in fact, Kill Bill and Death Proof are so far up my alley it's not even funny, but not really original plot arcs. Having said that, he really has fine tuned his craft as a filmmaker. Inglorious Basterds and Django had some really great moments that he probably couldn't have done in the early 90's, but Pulp Fiction was still better somehow for a lot of reasons. His next movie is a western, so expect yet another revenge flick.
            Resevoir dogs is a great movie. A lot of people I think that the best thing about his movies is the dialogue. In my opinion his best part of those movies are the suspense. When Mr blonde cuts off the cops ear is masterful at susPension. Also the opening scene of inglorious basterds

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• He didn't direct it, but he wrote True Romance. I love that movie.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Moliere, you have some good movies ahead of you, if you're just now getting into Tarantino.

watch these in order:
                1. True Romance, great film, a little more mainstream than others
                2. Inglorious Bastards -- similar to Django
                3. Jackie Brown -- not as violent
                4. Kill Bill 1 and 2 -- violent but very fun
                5. Pulp Fiction again -- this is his best and you should watch again to appreciate
                6. Reservoir Dogs -- great film but it's his darkest and easier to enjoy after you've been desensitized by the others
                Death Proof? You can skip it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  Moliere, you have some good movies ahead of you, if you're just now getting into Tarantino.

watch these in order:
                  5. Pulp Fiction again -- this is his best and you should watch again to appreciate
                  6. Reservoir Dogs -- great film but it's his darkest and easier to enjoy after you've been desensitized by the others
                  I'll put them down on my list. Right now I'm paying tribute to Paul Walker by watching most of his movies. I just saw Into the Blue and am now starting the Fast series, which might take me a while since I generally watch these while riding the bus so I get it in 30 minute segments.

I'm not a big fan of violence in films...not sure why but it just doesn't appeal to me a lot. I do find his over-stylized violence is actually much better for me than the more gruesome/realistic stuff, but I still prefer a good story/lines/acting over violence any day and thankfully it seems like the violence is really just an appendage to the great film.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I'll put them down on my list. Right now I'm paying tribute to Paul Walker by watching most of his movies. I just saw Into the Blue and am now starting the Fast series, which might take me a while since I generally watch these while riding the bus so I get it in 30 minute segments.

I'm not a big fan of violence in films...not sure why but it just doesn't appeal to me a lot. I do find his over-stylized violence is actually much better for me than the more gruesome/realistic stuff, but I still prefer a good story/lines/acting over violence any day and thankfully it seems like the violence is really just an appendage to the great film.
                    I agree with you on violence, and I'm a big Tarantino fan. Violence is in the same category as fight, chase, and most any other action. It's usually boring and should be kept to a minimum.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      Moliere, you have some good movies ahead of you, if you're just now getting into Tarantino.

watch these in order:

I strongly disagree. I've thrown this one on more than any of the others on a lazy evening. It's good, trashy fun in the style of those 70s car chase flicks like Vanishing Point, mixed with some grindhouse slasher aesthetic. Beyond that, it has all the elements of a QT flick: Fun dialogue, cool music, and a little bit of carnage (the hot chicks and fast cars don't hurt, either). Kurt Russell as a serial killer is pretty awesome and frightening. I'm also a sucker for muscle cars and this one has one of my favorites as the star: a 1970 Chevy Nova. Yes, it's dumb overall and QT did muse that it had to be his worst flick, but it is a blast and has an extremely high re-watchability quotient.

Love that car.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I used to love True Romance but watched it again recently and kinda hated it. It hasn't aged well at all for me. I do still love Pulp Fiction, and Django was awesome until it fell apart right at the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by woot View Post
                          I used to love True Romance but watched it again recently and kinda hated it. It hasn't aged well at all for me. I do still love Pulp Fiction, and Django was awesome until it fell apart right at the end.
                          I agree with you. I still liked the movie, but the characters' actions during the last 1/5 of the movie were sheer nonsense that went against the dispositions they had masterfully established.

*edit* Seriously. I think I've harped on this before, but they establish Waltz' character as this extremely clever, confident fellow who has nerves of steel and doesn't let emotions bleed into his work (and chastises Django for doing just this). Oh suddenly, when faced with terrible slave owner behavior for probably like the billionth time in his life and like the fifth time that day, he turns into a stubborn, idealistic emotion-driven idiot who does his best to get himself killed.

Also, if he's so clever, why does he concoct this convoluted, dangerous, half-schemed plot to pretend to hold interest in fighting slaves in order to get a low ball, throwaway price on his buddy's WIFE?? Why not just say "Hey! I'm German! I would love that German speaking slave! How much??" And then pay the extra money- which by the way they don't seem too terrible at coming up with.
                          Last edited by Commando; 12-18-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Such a great movie.

Comment

• Saving Mr Banks. Really enjoyed it. A little manipulative of the heartstrings, but I don't mind so much.

Comment

• Django is one part Peckinpah, two parts Sergio Leone. I loved it. The best Western in a long time.
                                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                                X