Sherlock Holmes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JohnnyLingo
    La Naranja
    • Nov 2008
    • 3976

    #1

    Sherlock Holmes

    [YOUTUBE]QUQbmFAE5WI[/YOUTUBE]

    I love Sherlock Holmes. My grandfather gave me [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sherlock-Holmes-Arthur-Conan/dp/0517220784"]The Complete Sherlock Holmes[/ame] for my birthday when I was 15 and I've read every single page of that book about 30 times. It's beat all to hell.

    So when I say I have a very clear understanding of who Holmes is, who Watson is, you can take me seriously.

    And I'm unsure about this latest incarnation. The trailers so far get a lot right. People complain about Holmes essentially cagefighting, but the guy was an accomplished boxer. He's portrayed as messy and fairly inconsiderate of others, and that's true, too.

    But Holmes was almost always very dispassionate. He worked hard to separate his emotions from his analytical skills, and I'm not sure Downey pulled that part off. And Watson is a very reserved fellow... not sure I like him popping off on Holmes like he does in the trailer.

    So whatever. I think they got it close enough that I'll go see it. I like the drunkard and Jude Law well enough, and Rachel McAdams (the vastly superior brunette version) is also involved? Score.

    EDIT: What? I don't want a picture of the book, just a link. Curse you, new vBulliten software!
  • woot
    Resident Science Cop
    • Nov 2008
    • 5531

    #2
    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
    [YOUTUBE]QUQbmFAE5WI[/YOUTUBE]

    I love Sherlock Holmes. My grandfather gave me The Complete Sherlock Holmes for my birthday when I was 15 and I've read every single page of that book about 30 times. It's beat all to hell.

    So when I say I have a very clear understanding of who Holmes is, who Watson is, you can take me seriously.

    And I'm unsure about this latest incarnation. The trailers so far get a lot right. People complain about Holmes essentially cagefighting, but the guy was an accomplished boxer. He's portrayed as messy and fairly inconsiderate of others, and that's true, too.

    But Holmes was almost always very dispassionate. He worked hard to separate his emotions from his analytical skills, and I'm not sure Downey pulled that part off. And Watson is a very reserved fellow... not sure I like him popping off on Holmes like he does in the trailer.

    So whatever. I think they got it close enough that I'll go see it. I like the drunkard and Jude Law well enough, and Rachel McAdams (the vastly superior brunette version) is also involved? Score.

    EDIT: What? I don't want a picture of the book, just a link. Curse you, new vBulliten software!
    I'm also somewhat of a Holmes fan, but I think I'll have a hard time with a movie that tries again, particularly when I feel like House has a done such a great job of portraying that character (minus the fighting, plus a version of Watson's handicap).

    I do think that both Holmes and House suffer from the same problem, in that they are portrayed as being extremely logical people, but really they do all sorts of illogical things that only turn out to seem logical because the author/writers know the the truth from the beginning. But that's probably nitpicking.

    Comment

    • JohnnyLingo
      La Naranja
      • Nov 2008
      • 3976

      #3
      Originally posted by woot View Post
      I'm also somewhat of a Holmes fan, but I think I'll have a hard time with a movie that tries again, particularly when I feel like House has a done such a great job of portraying that character (minus the fighting, plus a version of Watson's handicap).
      That is a good point.

      Comment

      • Indy Coug
        Heartless Bastard
        • Dec 2008
        • 18747

        #4
        Is this the movie where Watson turns out to be gay?
        Everything in life is an approximation.

        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

        Comment

        • JohnnyLingo
          La Naranja
          • Nov 2008
          • 3976

          #5
          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          Is this the movie where Watson turns out to be gay?
          For all that is holy, I hope not.

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37986

            #6
            Originally posted by woot View Post
            I'm also somewhat of a Holmes fan, but I think I'll have a hard time with a movie that tries again, particularly when I feel like House has a done such a great job of portraying that character (minus the fighting, plus a version of Watson's handicap).

            I do think that both Holmes and House suffer from the same problem, in that they are portrayed as being extremely logical people, but really they do all sorts of illogical things that only turn out to seem logical because the author/writers know the the truth from the beginning. But that's probably nitpicking.
            I will defer to your Holmes knowledge, since I am really only a casual fan. In fact, I never read a single one of the Holmes novels. However, I have watched countless numbers of BBC and other productions of those novels.

            Given that, I'm okay with this film deviating a bit from the literary Holmes. Holmes has to be one of the most often portrayed characters of all time. You wouldn't want them all to be the same, even if they stray from the original source. One of my big pet peeves is seeing a movie that is so close and true to the book that I might as well have read the book again. When I see a film, I'm generally looking for a fresh interpretation.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37986

              #7
              Lingo, I just watched the trailer again (I had seen it several months ago). Again, I defer to your knowledge, but I didn't see anything in that clip that made me think Downey's Holmes was overly emotional. What have you seen?
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • JohnnyLingo
                La Naranja
                • Nov 2008
                • 3976

                #8
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Lingo, I just watched the trailer again (I had seen it several months ago). Again, I defer to your knowledge, but I didn't see anything in that clip that made me think Downey's Holmes was overly emotional. What have you seen?
                It's a feeling I get from Downey's characterizations. I could be way off base.

                Comment

                • Commando
                  Explosivo
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 20748

                  #9
                  I thought he was pretty cool. Sort of like his Tony Stark.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                  Comment

                  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                    Time to camp
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26082

                    #10
                    I am not sure that even Rachel McAdams is enough for me to watch this movie. Sad.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

                    Comment

                    • Green Lantern
                      Has overcome great fear
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 2289

                      #11
                      Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                      It's a feeling I get from Downey's characterizations. I could be way off base.
                      I got the same feeling Lingo. That feeling, along with the fact that the film is being directed by the hyperkinetic Guy Ritchie, makes me skeptical about whether the whole project will be any good.
                      Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                      None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                      I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                      --Portland Ute

                      Comment

                      • Color Me Badd Fan
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 12519

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                        I got the same feeling Lingo. That feeling, along with the fact that the film is being directed by the hyperkinetic Guy Ritchie, makes me skeptical about whether the whole project will be any good.
                        Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is one of my all-time faves. How can Guy Ritchie directing this be a bad thing?
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                        Comment

                        • landpoke
                          Never once baby snatched
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4183

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is one of my all-time faves. How can Guy Ritchie directing this be a bad thing?
                          Haters gotta hate.
                          (I think it looks pretty good, based on the trailer)
                          There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                          Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                          Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                          Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                          …
                          Tomorrow is Saturday
                          And Sunday comes afterwards

                          Comment

                          • Green Lantern
                            Has overcome great fear
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 2289

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is one of my all-time faves. How can Guy Ritchie directing this be a bad thing?
                            I like Guy Ritchie too, but he's very much a director that does one thing and does it well: flashy, hyper-stylized crime pictures. When he sticks to that the results are pretty satisfying: LOCK, STOCK, SNATCH and ROCK N ROLLA. But when he strays....ouch. For an example of that, see SWEPT AWAY. Wait, on second thought, don't see it. I wouldn't wish that movie on my worst enemy.

                            STAR WARS is one of my favorite movies but I don't want George Lucas directing the movie either. More power to Guy Ritchie for trying to branch out a bit. I'm just saying that I'm skeptical.
                            Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                            None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                            I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                            --Portland Ute

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #15
                              If House played baseball he'd be batting .200. But the league he plays in, all the pitchers throw 200 mph.
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              Working...