The Warriors...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #1

    The Warriors...

    I figured I would stop the hijack of the Trunk or Treat thread and start this over here.

    I love this movie. A great soundtrack. A great score. Campy acting. Quotable. Fun story line. Everything about it is awesome.

    I've seen this movie probably more times than any other movie. I was just starting my sophomore year in high school when it was released and my friends and I saw it on opening night. Lots of testosterone flowing in the theater during the film, but nothing happened afterwards, despite the place being full of kids from three different schools. It was all in good fun.

    When it was released on betamax, I spent I think $80 for it and it was worth every penny. My friends and I watched it pretty much every weekend our senior year.

    A few years later, in a course in school, I had to read Anabasis (I believe that's the name of the work. Perhaps Solon can correct me) that was written by Xenophon (I think I spelled that right) and realized that I knew that story though it was in a modern day setting, rather than ancient Persia. (It's an awesome read.)

    The Warriors is in my top 5 films of all time. Pure entertainment.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
  • Mormon Red Death
    BYU Delenda Est
    • Nov 2008
    • 8077

    #2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

    Comment

    • il Padrino Ute
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 19161

      #3
      DDD posted the fight with the Furies, so I decided that I'll post this fight scene with the Punks to further encourage those youngsters here to see it:

      [youtube]fUVGkiekoJY[/youtube]
      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69752

        #4
        I was a senior in HS when I saw that movie at the old University Mall cinema (the one that was located inside the mall, just east of the current Macey's dept store). I was blown away. I decided that there was no way I was ever going to visit New York.

        I also remember that there were a bunch of guys outside the theater that night that were ...... uhhhh... inspired by the movie and were looking to pick a fight. My knucklehead cousin started jawing with them and it was all I could do to pull him away and get him to shut up and get in the car. I was sure they were going to pull out their Louisville Sluggers and lay into us.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • FN Phat
          I ♥ gateway sex
          • Feb 2009
          • 8691

          #5
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          I was a senior in HS when I saw that movie at the old University Mall cinema (the one that was located inside the mall, just east of the current Macey's dept store). I was blown away. I decided that there was no way I was ever going to visit New York.

          I also remember that there were a bunch of guys outside the theater that night that were ...... uhhhh... inspired by the movie and were looking to pick a fight. My knucklehead cousin started jawing with them and it was all I could do to pull him away and get him to shut up and get in the car. I was sure they were going to pull out their Louisville Sluggers and lay into us.
          I had a similar experience, but in my day it was 8 mile
          I'm your huckleberry.


          "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

          Comment

          • Green Lantern
            Has overcome great fear
            • Aug 2009
            • 2289

            #6
            Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
            I had a similar experience, but in my day it was 8 mile
            So when you came out of the theater, people tried to rap battle you?
            Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

            None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

            I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

            --Portland Ute

            Comment

            • JohnnyLingo
              La Naranja
              • Nov 2008
              • 3976

              #7
              Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
              [youtube]fUVGkiekoJY[/youtube]
              Wow, overalls, striped shirts and roller skates. That's intimidating.

              No wonder they lost.

              Comment

              • Color Me Badd Fan
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 12519

                #8
                I remember seeing bits and pieces of this show during the mid-80s when one of the local UHF channels would have "Action Theatre" on Saturday afternoons.

                I rented this movie last week. Obviously production values weren't as high in the late 70s. I thank Steven Spielberg for improving them. After reading the plot, I got the impression that these guys were going to fighting and hiding the whole way from the Bronx to Coney Island. Instead they're walking down the streets in the open and playing grabass on the subway for half the show. The show got off to a good start when they were getting chased down by the bus and the Central Park scene was cool.

                It was also cool to see Dexter's adopted Dad as well as the guy from The Bloodhound Gang.

                Tony Scott's remake could be cool. Unfortunately, it's set in LA. The Bronx to Coney Island aspect is cool and I don't think that can be repeated in an LA setting. On the other hand, it would be difficult to conceive of a bunch of hoodlums running through modern-day Manhattan.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                Comment

                • FN Phat
                  I ♥ gateway sex
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 8691

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                  So when you came out of the theater, people tried to rap battle you?
                  There was a kid that got shanked in our local theater after the movie. There we also a few shootings in Richmond.
                  I'm your huckleberry.


                  "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                  Comment

                  • Green Lantern
                    Has overcome great fear
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 2289

                    #10
                    Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                    There was a kid that got shanked in our local theater after the movie. There we also a few shootings in Richmond.
                    Don't tell my dad. He already thinks rap music is responsible for 90% of the evils in this world.
                    Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                    None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                    I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                    --Portland Ute

                    Comment

                    • Tim
                      Not Banned
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4390

                      #11
                      I'm watching The Warriors for the first time right now. It's so bad that it's good. Horrible acting, terrible writing, just plain stupid. But awesome.
                      Visca Catalunya Lliure

                      Comment

                      • Tim
                        Not Banned
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 4390

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        After reading the plot, I got the impression that these guys were going to fighting and hiding the whole way from the Bronx to Coney Island. Instead they're walking down the streets in the open and playing grabass on the subway for half the show.
                        Basically it's just a jogging movie about New York.
                        Visca Catalunya Lliure

                        Comment

                        Working...