Breaking Bad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Scorcho
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 835

    #601
    Am I the only one who thought final scene of episode 8 was somewhat weak? Clearly, Hank was going to have suspicions of Walt at some point this season, it had to happen. But, the way it unfolded was a disappointment.

    Hank has never shown any real suspicion of Walt, even after the counting cards story, or the fact that Walt is never around, is gone for days, etc. But he reads an inscription in a poetry book and suddenly has an epiphany? I can see where that might give inkling of suspicion, but not to the degree that showed on Hank’s face.

    From my perspective Hank has never shown any reason to suspect Walt of any wrong doing. In fact Walt has convinced Hank that he's somewhat of a pussy and incapable of being Heisenberg, with the crying visits to Hanks office, the moping. I just hoped Walt would be discovered in a more creative way?

    Still the best show on TV. Brilliant Drama! I just wished they would have structured that part of the series differently

    Comment

    • MarkGrace
      Grooveshark dick tease
      • Dec 2008
      • 31546

      #602
      Hank has had some amount of suspicion before. In that flashback scene they aired as Hank was having his realization he had a definite degree of suspicion there. It was hard not to miss both the time it aired in the regular episode and again seeing it via flashback. There have been enough moments where Hank was close and just a small amount of additional info would have tipped him off.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

      Comment

      • Scorcho
        Junior Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 835

        #603
        Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        Hank has had some amount of suspicion before. In that flashback scene they aired as Hank was having his realization he had a definite degree of suspicion there. It was hard not to miss both the time it aired in the regular episode and again seeing it via flashback. There have been enough moments where Hank was close and just a small amount of additional info would have tipped him off.
        I just think there were better ways to show Mr. White’s involvement. Maybe Walt slips up and mentions something about the case to Hank, that isn’t publically known? Or, one of the houses that get’s fumigated is on Hank’s street and a chance meeting takes place? Or someone down the meth distribution line provides a sketch artist drawing of Heisenberg? Or tire tracks matching Walt’s tires are found at some crime scene. Maybe someone witnesses Jesse and Walt together or Walt and the distribution lady?

        I just thought since the Poetry book was already somewhat discounted by Walt, why come back to that?

        Comment

        • MarkGrace
          Grooveshark dick tease
          • Dec 2008
          • 31546

          #604
          Originally posted by Scorcho View Post
          I just thought since the Poetry book was already somewhat discounted by Walt, why come back to that?
          I, for one, like the way the show has used repeating motifs. JL talked about one with the fly, and of course we've had Tio's bell -- now we get Leaves of Grass. The show has been great at keeping track of objects that have had significance, and then bringing them back in a meaningful way. None of them will ever top Tio's bell (that one was an absolute stroke of genius), but to me this is one of the things the show does that makes it great. I suppose you could have him see Walt's tire tracks, but it just doesn't have the same meaning. Or you could have Hank bump into him cooking meth, but one of the things I like about the scenario they've set up is that Hank knows but Walt doesn't know he knows.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

          Comment

          • MarkGrace
            Grooveshark dick tease
            • Dec 2008
            • 31546

            #605
            Or, one of the houses that get’s fumigated is on Hank’s street and a chance meeting takes place?
            btw, this one is a terrible suggestion. Hank lives on that cul-de-sac with like three houses. Walt's just going to waltz up to one of those houses there and not know he's on Hank's street? That would be some seriously sloppy writing.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

            Comment

            • Art Vandelay
              Striving for mediocrity
              • Jul 2009
              • 10516

              #606
              Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
              btw, this one is a terrible suggestion. Hank lives on that cul-de-sac with like three houses. Walt's just going to waltz up to one of those houses there and not know he's on Hank's street? That would be some seriously sloppy writing.
              I'm willing to bet, his is the only one with a huge purple rug in the living room.

              Comment

              • MarkGrace
                Grooveshark dick tease
                • Dec 2008
                • 31546

                #607
                Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                I'm willing to bet, his is the only one with a huge purple rug in the living room.
                And chair and couch and everything else. I've wondered what the deal with the purple is. Obviously Marie likes it, but is there some other significance?
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                Comment

                • wuapinmon
                  Soul Plumber
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 30711

                  #608
                  Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  And chair and couch and everything else. I've wondered what the deal with the purple is. Obviously Marie likes it, but is there some other significance?
                  Passion
                  "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                  The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69747

                    #609
                    Originally posted by Scorcho View Post
                    Am I the only one who thought final scene of episode 8 was somewhat weak?
                    Yes, I think so.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Non Sequitur
                      Where did I put my bodkin
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5773

                      #610
                      Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                      And chair and couch and everything else. I've wondered what the deal with the purple is. Obviously Marie likes it, but is there some other significance?
                      Purple suggests royalty. I read an interesting article on the importance of color in Breaking Bad. Walter started off wearing biege a lot, and now he dresses in dark colors. Red is used a lot when someone is about to die. Some people think that the fact that since Holly is always dressed in pink, that she will end up dying, since pink has also been used to signal death. The article also talks about the characters' names being an homage to to Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs: Mr. White, Mr. Pink (Jesse Pinkman), Mr. Orange (Hank, the cop who always wears orange). At the end of Reservoir Dogs, everyone dies except Mr. Pink, who gets away with all the jewels. Jesse might be the last man standing.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                      Comment

                      • MarkGrace
                        Grooveshark dick tease
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 31546

                        #611
                        Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                        Purple suggests royalty. I read an interesting article on the importance of color in Breaking Bad. Walter started off wearing biege a lot, and now he dresses in dark colors. Red is used a lot when someone is about to die. Some people think that the fact that since Holly is always dressed in pink, that she will end up dying, since pink has also been used to signal death. The article also talks about the characters' names being an homage to to Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs: Mr. White, Mr. Pink (Jesse Pinkman), Mr. Orange (Hank, the cop who always wears orange). At the end of Reservoir Dogs, everyone dies except Mr. Pink, who gets away with all the jewels. Jesse might be the last man standing.
                        Do you have a link to the article? Sounds interesting.
                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                        Comment

                        • Non Sequitur
                          Where did I put my bodkin
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 5773

                          #612
                          Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                          Do you have a link to the article? Sounds interesting.



                          Another interesting tidbit from the article was that the name of guy that Walter started Grey Matter Technology with was named Schwartz...from the German for black. Black and white combine to make grey.

                          Here's another article that talks about the use of color in Breaking Bad:

                          Stay up-to-date on the latest television news and critical analysis with UPROXX's comprehensive TV coverage.
                          Last edited by Non Sequitur; 09-05-2012, 09:23 PM.
                          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                          Comment

                          • Scorcho
                            Junior Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • 835

                            #613
                            or how about the DEA is reviewing security footage of the health care facility where Gus dies, and someone notices Walt hanging around.

                            I know I'm nitpicking, but Hank finally discovering who Walt is the most crucial part of this story to date, I wanted more.

                            Comment

                            • Art Vandelay
                              Striving for mediocrity
                              • Jul 2009
                              • 10516

                              #614
                              Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                              Purple suggests royalty. I read an interesting article on the importance of color in Breaking Bad. Walter started off wearing biege a lot, and now he dresses in dark colors. Red is used a lot when someone is about to die. Some people think that the fact that since Holly is always dressed in pink, that she will end up dying, since pink has also been used to signal death. The article also talks about the characters' names being an homage to to Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs: Mr. White, Mr. Pink (Jesse Pinkman), Mr. Orange (Hank, the cop who always wears orange). At the end of Reservoir Dogs, everyone dies except Mr. Pink, who gets away with all the jewels. Jesse might be the last man standing.
                              I haven't seen Reservoir Dogs in years. However, I don't recall anyone living. Mr. Pink (I'm pretty sure that is Buscemi's character, right?) only seemingly gets away. Don't you hear a police radio, talking about him being in a shootout right before the credits start to roll?

                              I had never thought about the death of Holly, until the most recent episode when Junior was pushing her around the swimming pool. I was sure something was going to happen, before the episode ended, and was worried it was going to involve her falling in. That theory certainly corresponds with Gilligan saying he doesn't know if he can take the story as far as he has thought of.

                              I'm on my phone and haven't read the the article Non Seq linked so not sure if what it says about Reservoir Dogs.

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69747

                                #615
                                Originally posted by Scorcho View Post
                                or how about the DEA is reviewing security footage of the health care facility where Gus dies, and someone notices Walt hanging around.

                                I know I'm nitpicking, but Hank finally discovering who Walt is the most crucial part of this story to date, I wanted more.
                                I don't get it. None of these things you have described seemed better than what happened.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...